PDA

View Full Version : Running Rich / Black Smoke

GAbOS
11-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey all. Really could use some help with this. I have a 2010 with about 6500 miles on it and a friend that was riding behind me the other day mentioned I was spitting black smoke when driving hard. There are also signs of soot on the tail pipes. I've checked the air filter, and it's fine. I will be pulling the plugs this weekend to check for signs of it running rich as well.

Just curious if this is normal, or a known common issue. Also, if anyone has any ideas on where to look for possible causes. I have always used 91 octane in the car, and the only mods done to it are the removal of the metal plates from the two front hood louvers. Let me know if there is any other information you may need.

vplukas101
11-19-2010, 02:16 PM
mine use to do that i was on the 91 gst tune and only had 93 and would run super rich and black smoke all over lol its fixed with th 93

TheBlackBeast
11-19-2010, 02:42 PM
sounds like you were having fun burying your right foot into the firewall... :D

GAbOS
11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
sounds like you were having fun burying your right foot into the firewall... :D

Well then.. don't give me a kick but forced 2.0 with a go fast pedal! :D

jRox
11-21-2010, 04:25 PM
RA's run slightly rich from factory, so it is normal. My RA does the same with carbon deposit on my exhaust tips.

MikeW-RRE
11-21-2010, 04:30 PM
That is totally normal. A turbo car needs to run richer than a non turbo car at full throttle to keep things safe. A non turbo car can be in the 14:1 to 13:1 range for the air/fuel ratio. An EVO runs 10:1 AFR (super rich) at full throttle. A RalliArt runs about 11:1 AFR. Once tuned it will get leaned out some, but the tip will still be black and you'll still see some black/grey smoke at WOT. Also, if you have not mashed on the loud pedal in a while, carbon build up in the exhaust will blow out on the first angry full throttle pull bigtime.

Mike W

GAbOS
11-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Mike, thanks.

My first turbo car. Still itching for an SVO ;>

Got a good spark plug tip?

MikeW-RRE
11-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Stock spark plugs. If you get missfires under full boost, check the gap.

Mike W