PDA

View Full Version : How-To: RA Turbo-swap (Evo X and RAD)

NFSLancerRA
01-31-2011, 08:43 PM
As many of you know, the CBRD turbocharger is almost ready to be released. I have the privilege of testing the first one on my personal RA. I am hoping for some good numbers. Either way, I thought that I would make my first contribution to this site a guide to swapping out the small RA snail.

This is adapted from the Evo X guide, but it should work for the RA:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/products/turbo_kits/turbo_kit_pdfs/Evo_Upgrade_Kit_Installation_Instructions_RevA.pdf

It should be pretty straight-forward adapting those instructions to the RA. When you see a part that is not carried over, just remove the stock piece and insert the new EVO X piece. If I see any glaring differences that need addressing when I have my car in the air, I will update this thread.

jRox
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Wow, good to hear you'll be the first. CBRD is quality! Keep us updated!

SnipeRA
02-03-2011, 07:57 AM
NFSLancer...When will you be testing out the new turbo? And is it going to be the RAD Lite or full?

NFSLancerRA
02-03-2011, 01:39 PM
NFSLancer...When will you be testing out the new turbo? And is it going to be the RAD Lite or full?

I have the turbocharger ("lite"...I wish that I had had the option of the full, however, I have seen the pricing and there is a BIG difference). I am waiting on a CBRD Intercooler. Chad is going to fabricate it next week. As far as I know, it is only the second one that he has ever done, so fingers crossed. I can tell you that there is also a new ROM associated with this turbo-swap that comes with brand new transmission tables designed to cure some of the clutch let-go problems associated with higher torque levels. I have seen it, and it looks great! It is going to be at the earliest the weekend after next when the parts go on. More likely, however, it is going to be 3 weeks from now. It will then be another week until I can get my car on the dyno. We usually only do that on Friday mornings when the number of cars in the shop is low. The only thing that is not ready is the intercooler.

There is honestly no way of knowing what this thing is going to do. I spent some serious money on the supporting modifications, so hopefully the numbers will be high.

SnipeRA
02-03-2011, 01:54 PM
I have the turbocharger ("lite"...I wish that I had had the option of the full, however, I have seen the pricing and there is a BIG difference). I am waiting on a CBRD Intercooler. Chad is going to fabricate it next week. As far as I know, it is only the second one that he has ever done, so fingers crossed. I can tell you that there is also a new ROM associated with this turbo-swap that comes with brand new transmission tables designed to cure some of the clutch let-go problems associated with higher torque levels. I have seen it, and it looks great! It is going to be at the earliest the weekend after next when the parts go on. More likely, however, it is going to be 3 weeks from now. It will then be another week until I can get my car on the dyno. We usually only do that on Friday mornings when the number of cars in the shop is low. The only thing that is not ready is the intercooler.

There is honestly no way of knowing what this thing is going to do. I spent some serious money on the supporting modifications, so hopefully the numbers will be high.

I can't wait i have been following everything from CBRD since they announced it. I am expecting a hefty tax return and am just waiting to drop it on CBRD. I would like to go with the lite but live in florida and can't afford any down time so hopefully i will get my hands on the RAD Full. And that is great that they have come up with some new ROM to correct transmission problems. Just playing the waiting game at this point. Good luck to you and the swap can't wait to see the numbers!!

NFSLancerRA
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I can't wait i have been following everything from CBRD since they announced it. I am expecting a hefty tax return and am just waiting to drop it on CBRD. I would like to go with the lite but live in florida and can't afford any down time so hopefully i will get my hands on the RAD Full. And that is great that they have come up with some new ROM to correct transmission problems. Just playing the waiting game at this point. Good luck to you and the swap can't wait to see the numbers!!

I will sell you my stock unit if you would like. That is how this whole thing is going to work. You send in a stock unit and get an RAD in return.

SnipeRA
02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I will sell you my stock unit if you would like. That is how this whole thing is going to work. You send in a stock unit and get an RAD in return.

Chad said something different to me about some that he could sell so that there would be no down time, but if this ends up being untrue i will take you up on your stock on for sure cuz i can't afford down time at all

NFSLancerRA
02-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Chad said something different to me about some that he could sell so that there would be no down time, but if this ends up being untrue i will take you up on your stock on for sure cuz i can't afford down time at all

:dunno:

I haven't spoken to him in a while, so he probably has been collected cores to work on. They aren't too hard to find. There are a lot of people out there swapping out the RA unit for the X setup. Either way, my offer still stands.

Good luck! You won't be disappointed with the setup. The units look great!

SnipeRA
02-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Any updates?

NFSLancerRA
02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Any updates?

The date is set for next Saturday to swap the turbocharger. It will be the following Friday when it goes on the dyno. I have the CBRD FMIC, though. It looks awesome!

SnipeRA
02-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Good stuff. Is this the RAD Lite or Full?

NFSLancerRA
02-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Good stuff. Is this the RAD Lite or Full?

It is an RAD Lite. I didn't have the option of the Full, as far as I know. I sent this thing in in December. The hold-up was the fuel-pump. The first one got lost in transit (or was stolen, which is what I have surmised happened). I should have just ordered an Aeromotive Tsunami 300 (or whatever it is called). However, the Walboro should be just fine, for now.

*Note: I have heard that you could get away with not upgrading your stock fuel pump with this upgrade. That is not advisable. You will more than likely need a fuel pump (MAP and UR both make kits), a nice BPV (I went all out and bought a TiAL. It is up to you, but I wouldn't recommend running a crushed Evo X stock unit.), a method of boost control (The boost pill isn't going to cut it. You need a manual or Electronic BCS.), and a larger intercooler. Again, the Evo X stock IC is a little small for these upgrades. You could get away with it, but you will make more power with cooler intake temperatures.

SnipeRA
02-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Ahh looks like i have a few more things to buy then. But i would much rather spend the money and do it right. If you had to guess what kind of power do you expect to make..evo X power...over stock X power?

Best price/place to buy the Tial??

NFSLancerRA
02-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Since you must buy the weld-on flange sold by Ultimate Racing when you buy the BPV, your best bet is just to buy everything through them. MAPerformance sells the cheapest fuel pump/install kit that I have seen. Other than that, you have your choice of BCS.

The new turbocharger is on! It took 14 hours to install everything with a team of people, but it is on the car. Props to the guys at Spec-OPs who stayed until 10 PM last night to make sure that the build was done. The CBRD intercooler is MASSIVE!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/d0a5b21a.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/94b2c0bf.jpg

pbassist12
02-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Any dyno runs yet?

NFSLancerRA
02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Virtual Dyno put the power right at 305 whp and 298 ft/lbs of torque.

SnipeRA
02-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Looked through UR's webstore and didn't see and BPV available. Does anyone else make the flange needed?

SnipeRA
02-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Found it never mind

NFSLancerRA
02-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Just a heads up: You will need fuel injectors, as well. Mine are maxed out at 19 psi.

Jackal
02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Ok I just reread the whole thread and I am a little confused. The new turbo swap you did was from our stock single scroll to a modified lite version upgrade of our stock single scroll?

Or did you have the lite CBRD single scroll turbo and you upgraded to the CRBD fully modded version of our single scroll turbo?

What was done for exhaust manifold / wastegate if anything?

Since our injectors are aprox 650 cc and the Evo X is pushing a bigger twin scroll turbo with the same injectors why is so much more fuel needed.
So you are saying with only light modding done to our tiny single scroll turbo we are going to max out the fuel system both and injector upgrades needed?
The next thing is if we were to go to the complete full modded CBRD version of our single scroll turbo what size injectors should we be looking at 850, 1000, or bigger?

You also mention that the stock Evo X IC is not going to cut it. I don't really want to be rude but I spent close to $700 plus dollars upgrading my car from stock to an Evo X Intercooler and the complete UR piping all 3 kits for top and bottom. I don't know if I can justify another 700 plus dollars on now an even bigger IC.
Temperature and power wise can you post some graphs or something because I would like to see the supporting documentation behind what your telling us.

I am not here to judge I just want to learn my car better and understand what is necessary to do the upgrades the right way the first time. I am willing to pay out the money if the perfomance increase is justified.

Sorry for the long posts, I am very excited about the development of this turbo and can't wait to see all the data posted.

NFSLancerRA
02-20-2011, 09:50 PM
I am not here to judge I just want to learn my car better and understand what is necessary to do the upgrades the right way the first time. I am willing to pay out the money if the perfomance increase is justified.

Sorry for the long posts, I am very excited about the development of this turbo and can't wait to see all the data posted.

Not a problem. I completely understand. The documentation is being done by Chad at CBRD. From what I hear, he has been meticulously documenting the whole process of building and upgrading his car. I am just telling you what happened with my car and my build. The RAD is larger than the Evo X stock unit (by a little bit, mind you).

I was in the same boat as you are when I started this upgrade. I am now charged with the task of selling my Evo X core. You will see more power with the CBRD FMIC. There is no doubt about it. I has been sized correctly to work with the turbocharger and fits like a glove. You could probably get away without doing it, but I did it to be safe.

As far as the injectors go, I don't know why mine didn't put out more. AMS has been saying that they should be good for more. So have many others. I know that I have to replace mine, regardless. I will do so within the next two weeks. I will also be purchasing the CBRD TBE. I want to see just how much we can crank out of this thing.

I hope that that answers at least some of your questions. If not, shoot me a PM, and I will pass the questions along to Chad directly. That guy is a guru.

SnipeRA
02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Just a heads up: You will need fuel injectors, as well. Mine are maxed out at 19 psi.

will 850cc be large enough??

NFSLancerRA
02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
will 850cc be large enough??

Yup, that will do it.

SnipeRA
02-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Excellent thanks for the info. Dyno friday right?

NFSLancerRA
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Excellent thanks for the info. Dyno friday right?

No. I have decided to hold off until the new injectors are on. The bad news is that they aren't going on for a few weeks. I can't justify paying for dyno time twice.

SnipeRA
02-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Makes since i dont think anyone would want to do that

NFSLancerRA
02-24-2011, 08:46 PM
I also have some other goodies that are going to go on in the mean time, hopefully. They are big and red and say "Brembo" on the side.

jRox
02-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I also have some other goodies that are going to go on in the mean time, hopefully. They are big and red and say "Brembo" on the side.
Saweet! Keep us updated. :cool:

RalliNurse
02-27-2011, 03:06 PM
YES YES....pics are a must also...

NFSLancerRA
02-27-2011, 05:15 PM
I will post a thread in the Member's Rides section before too long.

Jackal
02-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Ok to follow up on your response. So you are changing to the CBRD RAD turbo that is a single scroll turbo but is bigger than a stock Evo X turbo isthis correct?

My guess would be go with a least 1000cc injectors just to give you some headroom should you decide to throw in a cam or something at a later date without having to buy injectors twice.

I understand that the Ralliart specific IC will work better than a stock Evo X IC because the CBRD one will be a thicker core to maximize use of the smaller front surface area. I will be going to an Evo styled after market front end and support bracket in a couple years and will probably upgrade the IC again at the point to maximize use of the larger surface area that will then be available.

Can you post some of the graphs or post what your putting down at the wheels now and in theory what you think it will do in the 1/4 mile in its present form.

NFSLancerRA
02-28-2011, 05:30 AM
I am going to ID 1000's, because I do plan to go E85 at some point.

Here is the virtual dyno graph of my current setup:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae248/freshevo8/Eric09RalliartCBRDFMICandTurbo.jpg

I have no way of knowing what kind of time that translates to. I am also going to hold off going to the Mustang Dyno until the new injectors are on. I just can't justify paying for dyno time twice.

zeRep85
02-28-2011, 02:56 PM
I am a little confused.

Since our injectors are aprox 650 cc and the Evo X is pushing a bigger twin scroll turbo with the same injectors why is so much more fuel needed.
So you are saying with only light modding done to our tiny single scroll turbo we are going to max out the fuel system both and injector upgrades needed?

Temperature and power wise can you post some graphs or something because I would like to see the supporting documentation behind what your telling us.

+1

Very good points Jackal.

zeRep

zeRep85
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
So you are changing to the CBRD RAD turbo that is a single scroll turbo but is bigger than a stock Evo X turbo isthis correct?

Hmmm...im soooo confused...i thought it was the same core just internals replaced?

zeRep

NFSLancerRA
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
That is correct. The RAD has beefier internals than the stock 15t. And Jackal, I don't know what to tell you. I have all of my tuning done by Spec-Ops. Jason is the guy to talk to about the fuel system. I was a little surprised to hear that too, to be honest. Anything above 19 psi on my car maxed out the injectors. I don't know how to explain that.

I am also not hear to ram these modifications down anyone's throats. I will post a multitude of numbers once the injectors have been swapped and the modifications finally completed. It hasn't been completed yet, because no one expected for the injectors to max out.

MTZL
02-28-2011, 03:41 PM
He is planning on running E85 so He will need bigger injectors & pump.
As far as maxing out the injector depends on his new turbo setup. More air flow more fuel til injectors cant keep up.
So how much air flow is going thru there anyways? RAD lite?
Im interested in more updates. :cool:

Jackal
02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
No problem guys! LOL ! I am just here to learn about our cars like everyone else. I just wanna be a sponge and absorb all I can but sometimes I see posts that gets my mind spinning because it may not make sense to me. So i ask questions in hopes of getting more data that would explain why upgrade A is necessary before you can do upgrade B etc.

Basically I don't wanna spend money buying the same parts twice. I am looking forward to getting some hardcore data once a few of us have this RAD turbo installed and tweaked to find out if their are gonna be any glitches to iron out.

zeRep85
03-01-2011, 02:34 PM
He is planning on running E85 so He will need bigger injectors & pump.
As far as maxing out the injector depends on his new turbo setup. More air flow more fuel til injectors cant keep up.
So how much air flow is going thru there anyways? RAD lite?
Im interested in more updates. :cool:

+1

zeRep

P.S. myturbo is loving this cold weather!!!!

Gasm
01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
What happened to the rad updates

Jackal
11-17-2013, 06:40 PM
I believe NFSLancerRA had something happen to his car and ended up buying an Evo X. I thought there were a couple other people who had done the CBRE Ralliart turbo upgrade.

Best thing to do is Google it.
http://cbrd.mybigcommerce.com/cbrd-rad-lite-turbocharger/