PDA

View Full Version : Really Loud Chattering/Knocking Noise

KyleKitchen
02-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Does anyone else get a really loud inconsistent chattering/knocking sound while idling?
It sounds like its coming from the top right side of the engine.
I don't know that much about internals or anything but I know its not the injectors ticking.
This noise is almost embarrassing and doesn't sound healthy. :(
I could hear it LOUD and clear from my brothers garage when my car was across the street with the hood closed.

Any ideas?

Blaze
02-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Check your oil level. Maybe your lifters are starved.

Also, can you provide more use/case examples?

Does it do it only when cold?
Does the sound accellerate with the RPM on the engine?
Does it go away if you tap the throttle?
Does it get louder when you're driving?
Is it coming from the engine or something surrounding it?

MikeW-RRE
02-02-2011, 12:03 PM
The RalliArt has solid lifters so oil pressure does not affect them.

Is the noise coming form the timing chain area? (passenger side) That can be serious if it is.

Otherwise a way to narrow down where a noise is coming from on a motor is to use a big long screwdriver. You put your ear to the handle, and touch the tip of the screwdriver to various parts of the motor. It works just like a doctor's stethoscope.

Mike W

vplukas101
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM
mine does the same thing, i was reading its lifter tick or something

KyleKitchen
02-02-2011, 01:45 PM
The RalliArt has solid lifters so oil pressure does not affect them.

Is the noise coming form the timing chain area? (passenger side) That can be serious if it is.

Otherwise a way to narrow down where a noise is coming from on a motor is to use a big long screwdriver. You put your ear to the handle, and touch the tip of the screwdriver to various parts of the motor. It works just like a doctor's stethoscope.

Mike W

No, the noise is coming from the driver side. I did that exact thing and the sound is coming from the top right corner.

Check your oil level. Maybe your lifters are starved.

Also, can you provide more use/case examples?

Does it do it only when cold?
Does the sound accellerate with the RPM on the engine?
Does it go away if you tap the throttle?
Does it get louder when you're driving?
Is it coming from the engine or something surrounding it?

The car does it anytime the car idles and the sound disappears when I tap the throttle and anytime the clutch engages.
And its coming from the top right side of the engine.

vplukas101
02-02-2011, 01:51 PM
and when you turn the wheel right?

KyleKitchen
02-02-2011, 02:25 PM
and when you turn the wheel right?

Actually, no. haha I tested it and turning the wheel doesn't change anything.

GAbOS
02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I have a similar noise at Idle Only, but I cant hear it unless I'm in front of the car at a pretty close distance. I'll have to try the Screw Driver trick (hat tip, Mike) to pin point it to insure we get all the facts we can for this thread.

KyleKitchen
02-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I have a similar noise at Idle Only, but I cant hear it unless I'm in front of the car at a pretty close distance. I'll have to try the Screw Driver trick (hat tip, Mike) to pin point it to insure we get all the facts we can for this thread.

Yeah mine USED to sound like that. Now I can hear it over my exhaust inside the car at a stop light. It doesn't sound like a brand new car should. =/

vplukas101
02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
like this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO5zQA9JPh0&playnext=1&list=PLA31DE62FA98B5CB5

2muchboost
02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Does anyone else get a really loud inconsistent chattering/knocking sound while idling?
It sounds like its coming from the top right side of the engine.
I don't know that much about internals or anything but I know its not the injectors ticking.
This noise is almost embarrassing and doesn't sound healthy. :(
I could hear it LOUD and clear from my brothers garage when my car was across the street with the hood closed.

Any ideas?

Mine makes this exact inconsistent chattering/knocking sound but its only during a cold start up and its not as loud as you're describing. I hear mine mainly near the front drivers side wheel.

KyleKitchen
02-02-2011, 08:36 PM
like this right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO5zQA9JPh0&playnext=1&list=PLA31DE62FA98B5CB5
All I can really hear in that video is the injectors. The traffic is too loud. On my car you would hear it before he even walked to the front of the car.

Its this noise but much louder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wis25p2YPXo

highcaliber
02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
All I can really hear in that video is the injectors. The traffic is too loud. On my car you would hear it before he even walked to the front of the car.

Mine makes that noise. Mostly after it's warmed up.
If I bump into you (not literally) we'll have to compare noises. I've wondered about that noise myself.

I tried listening all over my engine with a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint it but there are noises all over that carry through the engine and make it difficult to pinpoint. it's really loud in the area around the fuel rail which made me think it was just the injectors firing. If you take off the plastic cover over the valve cover it gets quieter (seems to me, anyway) like the noise is getting picked up and amplified by that huge plastic sounding board.

vplukas101
02-02-2011, 09:35 PM
yup mine does that to

KyleKitchen
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Mine makes that noise. Mostly after it's warmed up.
If I bump into you (not literally) we'll have to compare noises. I've wondered about that noise myself.

I tried listening all over my engine with a mechanics stethoscope to pinpoint it but there are noises all over that carry through the engine and make it difficult to pinpoint. it's really loud in the area around the fuel rail which made me think it was just the injectors firing. If you take off the plastic cover over the valve cover it gets quieter (seems to me, anyway) like the noise is getting picked up and amplified by that huge plastic sounding board.

Yeah mines the opposite. the more stuff I take off the louder it gets. I did get to pinpoint it to the top right of the engine. My friends makes the noise but no where near as loud as mine.

I did find this though.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-engine-turbo-drivetrain/374518-my-engine-tick.html

just because all of our cars do it doesn't mean its normal.

MikeW-RRE
02-03-2011, 05:08 AM
If you think it is an injector making that noise, then unplugging the injectors one at a time will settle that.

If you think it is excessive valve clearance making the noise, then bust out a feeler gauge and check your clearances.

Mike W

evil03
02-04-2011, 11:02 AM
my RA does the samething this weird clunk sound from the engine on the driver side.... only when it idles and cold starts after that is gone... weirdo

Samsquachi
02-04-2011, 09:08 PM
my RA does the samething this weird clunk sound from the engine on the driver side.... only when it idles and cold starts after that is gone... weirdo

x2

Mines in the shop now, had the car just shy of 2 weeks and having a handful of issues including this one. Mechanics don't know what I'm talking about...

It does sound unhealthy though, I'm not a fan.

KyleKitchen
02-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I made an appointment with HB Mitsubishi to have it looked at. If they say its normal at least I have it documented. It doesn't sound right.

Samsquachi
02-04-2011, 10:17 PM
That's what I'm thinking too, at least have it recognized.

Buddy of mine suggested maybe I wasn't receiving enough octane, some bad gas maybe...

Though after reading this thread and the one on EvoM.net I have a pretty good feeling it is an unofficial manufacturers defect.

KyleKitchen
03-04-2011, 02:17 AM
HB Mitsubishi ended telling me the noise was normal.......:confused:
They gave me a sheet that corporate recently sent them because a lot of people have been coming in asking about this and they said its normal.
But the master tech said that its documented so I'm covered now if anything does happen.

Livefast
03-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I think itīs clutches.
Does sound disappear when you but gear/reverse on?
If so,then your ok. And i have same thing.
Clutches keep that sound,and it should be normal. That is what i heard.
I first heard that it was coming from right side of engine too. And thinked a long that sound was coming there. Before i take it seriously and put it on jack and started figure it out.
(sorry for my english)

Livefast
03-04-2011, 09:47 AM

This is excatly same noise,what my clutches keep.

pbassist12
03-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Yeah i went in and they said it was normal too
Odd but whatever

highcaliber
03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Given the number of people who are experiencing this, and the fact that none of us have blown up our engines, I'd say it's probably nothing to worry about. Yeah, it's annoying, yeah it sounds bad but if there's nothing flying out the block, I'm not all that worried about it. :D

Who knows, maybe Mitsu. will come up with a half-assed fix like a big pillow that goes over the engine to keep all the noise down. :p

ralliartSAT
03-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Yep yup I have the same problem didn't think anything of it cuz it only came on when I first started the car but then every time I'm in park or stop that noise would come on again and started to get louder and got me worried. So I took it too the dealer and their tech person looked at it and thinks he knOws what's wrong and ordered a part I don't Know what it was cuz I had to leave and my mom stayed tell the inspection was done and could give her an answer/solution. The noise is coming from the pasengerside next to the engine kinda where the belt thing is. Luckily it's covered by the warranty or whatever so I don't have to pay. When I find out what part it is I'll post it on hear cuz I've read a lot of people are having the same problem and everyone says it's nothing. I won't be getting the car back tell wensday and if I don't hear it anymore I'll most deffently post asap with the part so you guys can look into it more. If anything at least I'm not paying for it and it will be documented so if somthing does happn they can't say shit.

wwralliart77
03-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Yep yup I have the same problem didn't think anything of it cuz it only came on when I first started the car but then every time I'm in park or stop that noise would come on again and started to get louder and got me worried. So I took it too the dealer and their tech person looked at it and thinks he knOws what's wrong and ordered a part I don't Know what it was cuz I had to leave and my mom stayed tell the inspection was done and could give her an answer/solution. The noise is coming from the pasengerside next to the engine kinda where the belt thing is. Luckily it's covered by the warranty or whatever so I don't have to pay. When I find out what part it is I'll post it on hear cuz I've read a lot of people are having the same problem and everyone says it's nothing. I won't be getting the car back tell wensday and if I don't hear it anymore I'll most deffently post asap with the part so you guys can look into it more. If anything at least I'm not paying for it and it will be documented so if somthing does happn they can't say shit.

Sounds like your issue was the timing belt. They had a recall in certain areas.

KyleKitchen
03-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Sounds like your issue was the timing belt. They had a recall in certain areas.

Doesn't the 4B11 have a timing chain?

ralliartSAT
03-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Doesn't the 4B11 have a timing chain?

Yea It does that's what the dealer told me. Idk what the belts is for maybe the a/c or something but I don't think that's where the problem is. I'll find out more when I talk to them on Monday to see what they say or what part they had to fix.

help!
12-04-2011, 01:59 AM
has anyone had engine failure on their 2009 ralliart? im thinking about sueing mitsubishi but their making me feel like im crazy

help!
12-04-2011, 02:04 AM
thats the very noise i had before my engine failed, and now in a battle with them

wwralliart77
12-04-2011, 08:42 AM
has anyone had engine failure on their 2009 ralliart? im thinking about sueing mitsubishi but their making me feel like im crazy

^ I'm the man you want to talk to. PM me for specifics ;)

KyleKitchen
02-19-2012, 04:49 AM
When I went to the dealer to have this checked out decades ago, the master tech gave me this:
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/mitsubishi/tsb08220021%20PAGE1.jpg
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/mitsubishi/tsb08220022%20PAGE%202.jpg
http://www.strangekidsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/the_more_you_know1.jpg

BravoZero
02-19-2012, 06:35 AM
When I went to the dealer to have this checked out decades ago, the master tech gave me this:
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/mitsubishi/tsb08220021%20PAGE1.jpg
http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catalog/mitsubishi/tsb08220022%20PAGE%202.jpg
http://www.strangekidsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/the_more_you_know1.jpg

Why do I have the feeling you've posted this before? Lol

KyleKitchen
02-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I posted it over on the other forums a long time ago, minus Bill Cosby, I just never followed up here.
I'm trying to spread more info to this site! Haha

zeRep85
02-19-2012, 02:48 PM
I posted it over on the other forums a long time ago, minus Bill Cosby, I just never followed up here.
I'm trying to spread more info to this site! Haha

WHERE IS PAGE 3 AND 4!!!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?

:)

z
E
R
E
p

kwilliams949
03-24-2012, 12:03 PM
i was told at the dealer by a mechanic that that noise is the dual clutch chattering in idol. if it is coming from the right side of the engine. thats where the tranny sits bolting to motor.
the sound scares me to, thats why i took it in. that was their explanation. injectors make the fast ticking noise and the clunky chatter would be the clutch

BravoZero
03-24-2012, 06:11 PM
i was told at the dealer by a mechanic that that noise is the dual clutch chattering in idol. if it is coming from the right side of the engine. thats where the tranny sits bolting to motor.
the sound scares me to, thats why i took it in. that was their explanation. injectors make the fast ticking noise and the clunky chatter would be the clutch

Yup, that was covered earlier in this thread, and in many threads across teh interwebz :)

ralli_kid
03-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Had the same thing but went away after changing my fluids. Well slightly went away. I changed my T-case fluid and sst fluid.

RalliAaron
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
The noise is PERFECTLY normal, and it is in fact the SST chattering when not engaged. To make sure this is in fact the noise your hearing:

1. Apply the e-brake
2. Put the car into Drive
3. Release FOOT brake ONLY
4. Listen for the noise

If the noise goes away, its your SST, and perfectly normal. Some are louder than others though. I have heard that changing to better Tranny fluid does help the noise a little though, but not confirmed?

I have a video of mine making the same noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpY513wf5PY&feature=plcp