PDA

View Full Version : PLX Kiwi and Flashing

GAbOS
02-07-2011, 09:23 AM
I searched this morning and was unable to find anyone asking, or saying it could or even couldn't. Curious, can the PLX Kiwi WiFi adapter be used to flash an ECU using an AdHoc connection to a laptop?

Thanks,
G

Mkid
02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I thought about this too but for the Bluetooth ODBII scanners.

GAbOS
02-07-2011, 11:32 AM
WiFi offers much faster sampling than BT, which is why I am choosing that route. Would love to be able to flash the GST Base map with it too.

BT's maximum application throughput is around 1.4 Mbit/s in your higher end devices. Cheaper devices are about .7 Mbit/s.

MikeW-RRE
02-07-2011, 12:50 PM
If you will be flashing the ECU, you really want a cable connection. There are plenty of opportunities to brick an ECU with a cable, let alone flying all those bits through the air.

Mike W

GAbOS
02-07-2011, 01:16 PM
If you will be flashing the ECU, you really want a cable connection. There are plenty of opportunities to brick an ECU with a cable, let alone flying all those bits through the air.

Mike W

Thanks, Mike.

That being said, do you know if this product will allow writes to the ECU? I have found other units that contain both WiFi and USB.

MikeW-RRE
02-07-2011, 01:58 PM
As far as I know, the only commercially available device capable of addressing the engine ECU and writing to it is the Tactrix cable.

Mike W