PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Tuning recommendations for power

Krisko
02-14-2011, 01:34 PM
I was talking to Cobb mechanics and listening to alot of their ideas that's best for performance on the ralliart. The first few things I heard is actually the opposite of what I read.

They stated the first most noticeable performance mods is a high flow cat and downpipe upgrade, even on a stock ra or evo. Intercooler upgrade helps, but the power isn't as effective. Also they said on these cars a catback is nothing more than an aggressive sound with minimum benefits to performance. If you do an upgrade past evo x turbo such as an fp red or bbx lite, cams are manditory to really wake up hidden potential (I think he said 40whp extra). Also e85 is a great help in terms of power and 850cc in enough to run it on a ralliart.

Just an fyi for anyone who wants to try a different route. Cheers!

GAbOS
02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
I can tell you, after speaking with various other turbo-4 owners at the local SCCA Auto-X meets, that just a simple CBE will shave time off of a run due to better turbo response and spool time.

vplukas101
02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
for e85 do we need a diff fuel pump?

RALLInspired
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
for e85 do we need a diff fuel pump?

yes. a single walbro 255, in tank lines, sock filter, in-line fuel filter, fuel line under the hood, and injectors.

I have my own fuel pump kits for $240-$260 installed if anyone is interested.

Ralliart23
02-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I was talking to Cobb mechanics and listening to alot of their ideas that's best for performance on the ralliart. The first few things I heard is actually the opposite of what I read.

They stated the first most noticeable performance mods is a high flow cat and downpipe upgrade, even on a stock ra or evo. Intercooler upgrade helps, but the power isn't as effective. Also they said on these cars a catback is nothing more than an aggressive sound with minimum benefits to performance. If you do an upgrade past evo x turbo such as an fp red or bbx lite, cams are manditory to really wake up hidden potential (I think he said 40whp extra). Also e85 is a great help in terms of power and 850cc in enough to run it on a ralliart.

Just an fyi for anyone who wants to try a different route. Cheers!

how much are cams, and are there any good ones on the market for our cars? links?

vplukas101
02-14-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/Kelford-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-Evo-10-Cams.html

Jackal
02-14-2011, 08:41 PM
No offense to anyone but this is the same info not opposite. The 2 main upgrades most people do are uncork the exhaust to some degree and upgrade the Intercooler and piping. Look at either Cobb Stages or AMS Stages for upgrades for upgrades and tunes to match each stage which is either 1 or more combination of bolt on upgrades. No secrets here. But because of the limits of our transmission etc.. Upgrading to an FP red or beyond is probably pushing the envelope a bit much and it is also at this point the fuel system needs to be upgraded as well.

We all have done the research and know there is a basic road map of upgrades to follow in a particular order as we upgrade each sytem or subsystem there will always be a bottleneck or limitation further along thus we upgrade in stages as time and money allow.
Any way just my 2 cents.

caRalliArt
02-14-2011, 10:59 PM
well said.......