PDA

View Full Version : Any Autocrossers? - Power Steering issues

MasterBlaster
02-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Wondering if anyone has had power steering issues in fast/tight transitions, like slaloms.

First event in the Ralliart last weekend. In the slalom and another quick left right transition bit the power steering lagged/delayed/something stupid. It would snap quick the first turn and then when the wheel was turned quick the other way it was as if the power steering was dead. First car I've had do this, and it was a PITA to deal with.

Belts fine, fluid level is right under the MAX line and doesn't climb when the engine is running or off. I believe I read the rack on the RA is different from the Evo, does anyone know if the power steering pump is different?

I still managed to get 11th in PAX, which isn't too bad for the first event in the car on the stock tires lol. I'd just like to figure out this power steering deal.

razorlab
02-22-2011, 10:14 AM
The RA doesn't have the cooler lines like the Evo has, perhaps you where over heating it?

MTZL
02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Its has to do with traction....
I had the same thing. It can be power steering over heating but Im used to driving no power steering so... Yes you have to fight the steering wheel if you got ASC off & when you're fighting for traction. Steering wheel will feel loose once you lost traction & back to normal when you regain traction.
I think thats the problem. I have learned to cope with it & now to master it is different story. One thing is to learn how much is enough turn-in & knowing how much if any counter steering.

I dont think it is a lag, its more of momentum/Speed vs grip/traction. If you carry too much momentum/speed no matter how much you turn it wont. Being in the right gear helps learning how to brake helps.
Throttle control helps.

MasterBlaster
02-22-2011, 10:43 AM
The RA doesn't have the cooler lines like the Evo has, perhaps you where over heating it?

That's interesting. I thought about the fluid getting too hot, but it was only about 40 degrees out and it started on the first run. Not sure if half way into a 50 second run is enough time for the fluid to get that hot.

Its has to do with traction....
I had the same thing. It can be power steering over heating but Im used to driving no power steering so... Yes you have to fight the steering wheel if you got ASC off & when you're fighting for traction. Steering wheel will feel loose once you lost traction & back to normal when you regain traction.
I think thats the problem. I have learned to cope with it & now to master it is different story. One thing is to learn how much is enough turn-in & knowing how much if any counter steering.

I dont think it is a lag, its more of momentum/Speed vs grip/traction. If you carry too much momentum/speed no matter how much you turn it wont. Being in the right gear helps learning how to brake helps.
Throttle control helps.

Sounds like you're referring more to understeer? This isn't a case of understeer/traction loss at all.

In my case it's something with the power steering system. For example, entering a slalom the wheel turns just fine, power assist-like, but when turned fast the other way, the wheel feels like there's no more power steering. Like driving an old pickup with no power steering at walking pace. The car will turn, it just takes about three times the effort to turn the wheel, which tends to throw off entering the next transistion/turn/whatever.

I used to drive a mildly prepped BSP STi, so I'm familiar with running a fast(er) AWD car out on course. The RA felt great for 100% stock, the power steering deal just made it pretty hard to predict.

MTZL
02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
was your asc off or on? sports mode or normal mode? Stock wheels & tires?

GAbOS
02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I ran mine a few times last year in DST and didn't have this issue. My season will be starting up soon and will keep an eye out for this issue.

MasterBlaster
02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
ASC was off. I talked to another RA driver at the event, he's rather new to autocross, but he said his has always done it. I know with more seat time in this car I can at least be more prepared for it, it just makes it hard to be consistent.

I still managed to get 11th in PAX (for those that don't SCCA solo I know that won't make any sense lol). Not bad at all on the stock tires.

MTZL
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I had similar issue only when Im sliding & all the weigh is being transfer to the outside wheels, so when I turn the steering to outside I had to fight it. Thats the way it is for me.. If I turn the Asc on gas pedal doesnt work during the slide & it wouldnt slide much.

MTZL
02-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Here is one of my teammate in his evo ix. whatever he can do we can do. ok brembo & suspension got us beat & this is pic is taken on the second slalom.
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7889/dsc4142i.jpg

Full throttle & hard braking. Steering input & hand placement getting ready for the next turn at all times.
Hard on brakes & Tires. I told him next time I want to see his inside tire on top of the cone. hahahaha

MasterBlaster
02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Nice. I had Ferodo DS2500 pads in the Brembos on my STi, it had retarded stopping power. Here's a vid of when I got FTD for a car (we usually have at least 4 karts that run)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCVRe09CJr0

Hopefully I can get the power steering deal figured out on this car. That's the only thing in 7 runs that really bothered me.