PDA

View Full Version : feeling the difference of new bov!

RalliNurse
02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
I just install evo x bov...I know it won't make hp...but feels like engine/turbo responds better...can anyone confirm this?

vplukas101
02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
no boost leaks?

RalliNurse
02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
no boost leaks?

I tighten everthing...can't tell the difference on boost leak though

Krisko
02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Now that you have a metal bov instead of plastic your going to hold boost more at high end. I was told keep it recirculating air.

mTEV
02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Nice! Man I've been in the market for a x or ix bpv and I still haven't gotten
any luck :[

Exyia
02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
if you're still at stock boost psi levels, I don't think you'll notice any huge difference

yes the stock bov is plastic and can't handle high amounts of boost, but Mitsu equipped the RA right to the budget imo. For the measly 17ish psi it generates stock, that plastic is just enough

the plastic bov REALLY starts to leak over 20psi, and I did notice a difference when I upgraded after I was tuned @ 22-23psi. Boost was definitely holding better, but even then I didn't feel like I gained a ton of power - just a little smoother since there wasn't any leak

RalliNurse
02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice! Man I've been in the market for a x or ix bpv and I still haven't gotten
any luck :[

Well...I bought it from scm for 165.00...I don't trust used bov ppl r selling just for the fact that bov is a mission-critical component...I rather spend more to get a new one then "save" w/a used one...down the road I might spend 4x to 5x of 165.00...I would suggest if ur not geting aftermarket bov then just pick new one up from scm....

ralliartSAT
02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to do the same cuz I made my RA a stage 2 and I'm sure I have a boost leak it doesnt reach the full boost psi. The question I have is if I go with the evo x bov(which I might do and does any one know where I could get one) or any after market one(I really liked the turbosmart one but that's a lot of cheese) would I need to get it tuned?

Exyia
02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Well...I bought it from scm for 165.00...I don't trust used bov ppl r selling just for the fact that bov is a mission-critical component...I rather spend more to get a new one then "save" w/a used one...down the road I might spend 4x to 5x of 165.00...I would suggest if ur not geting aftermarket bov then just pick new one up from scm....

my thoughts are the exact opposite

most car parts are designed to be used over extended periods of time, hence why buying used bolt-ons over forums is so popular. It's engine internals that I wouldn't buy used

you can get an aftermarket bov for around $250-$300, which will be MUCH more capable than the Evo X bov. At $165 you're halfway to the cost of a high performance aftermarket piece. Could you REALLY not shell out 50% more to get a product that can handle maybe 60+% power and has probably better quality? Ok so maybe you don't need a bov that can handle 30psi+ of boost, then why do you need to pay $70+ extra for a product that's designed to handle much more punishment than the stock RA turbo can dish out?

and I've never heard of a BoV breaking. I'd imagine you'd have to go to a really stupid tuner for him to push a car to the breaking point of an Evo X BoV. If anything I think tons of other components would go first before the BoV. Most Evo owners don't need to upgrade theirs until they move to an aftermarket turbo.

Just my opinion. I got my bov for $80 shipped used from an evom.net member. The performance gains feel just right for an $80 cost, and you just have to remember how small the stock turbo is. Think of it this way: the stock plastic bov leaks over 20psi, but it doesn't break. What makes you think the Evo X bov has such a high risk of breaking?

It's similar to the reasoning that tons of RA owners go with used Evo X FMIC. This is just my opinion though, if you're happy, that's all that matters

RalliNurse
02-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I see ur point exyia...however...the thing w/a used bov is that I don't know for sure if the one I bought from a private party is in good working cond...if a fmic has a leak...that's not an immdiate threat...however if a bov failed then I have a big headache...since this is my first turbo car...I'm playing it safe...besides I'm not looking for aftermarket bov right now anyways...I don't need to get the girls' panties wet(from mike at rre)...lol...but if in the futur w/turbo upgrade then ill buy an aftermarket...

Good heads up though...I'm learning about this as I go along...its a learning process...and thanx for ur input...but I'm keeping my "job" quiet though...few things are coming...:p

kenpora
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I have been searching the forums and part out threads for a used X BOV. I think for the money you get a quality product that will do the job we need, unless you push really high boost levels.

wwralliart77
02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
and I've never heard of a BoV breaking. I'd imagine you'd have to go to a really stupid tuner for him to push a car to the breaking point of an Evo X BoV. If anything I think tons of other components would go first before the BoV. Most Evo owners don't need to upgrade theirs until they move to an aftermarket turbo.

Just like any other part of the car the bpv/bov will wear out over time. It's the internals of the bov that are at question here. Is the spring in good working order? No leaks? For aftermarket you want to check the piston for wear, missing piston ring, spring wear and leaks. I guess he was just trying to play it safe and buy new since he knew there'd be no issues. I'd personally never buy a used aftermarket bov, but used oem parts I typically don't have a problem with. Your right though about not having to upgrade the bov until higher boost levels are obtained typically 30 psi or higher like mentioned. Since most tuned RAs will push out 22 psi or so the Evo X bov is a good alternative. I'd go with the metal Evo X MR bov though.

wwralliart77
02-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm thinking I'm gonna have to do the same cuz I made my RA a stage 2 and I'm sure I have a boost leak it doesnt reach the full boost psi. The question I have is if I go with the evo x bov(which I might do and does any one know where I could get one) or any after market one(I really liked the turbosmart one but that's a lot of cheese) would I need to get it tuned?

Typically don't have to get tuned just for a bov. If you want some good bov alternatives check out lancershop.
Here's the link for RA bovs: http://www.lancershop.com/customer/home.php?cat=240
For Evo X bovs: http://www.lancershop.com/customer/home.php?cat=172

wwralliart77
02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
EVO MR JDM Blow Off Valve
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/image.php?id=472&type=D

wwralliart77
02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Tomei Evo Blow Off Valve
http://image.nengun.com/catalogue/original/nengun-2731-02-tomei-tomei_-_blow_off_valve_-_4g63.png

rgwinn
02-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I installed a Samco Sport BOV (DVRL-1P-001-BLK)

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=1307

Not sure if I have noticed any performance, but I do like the look, and construction better than the stock one.

RalliNurse
02-25-2011, 12:20 AM
i like the tomei bov...very "stockish"

RG-RA
02-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I am a huge fan of my tial setup with the ams intercooler and piping don't think I could ever switch back. a little costly but defenitly worth it if your really trying to modify your car!