PDA

View Full Version : Request: Quick Launch for 1/4 Mile

pbassist12
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Looking for a how to write up on how to do a nice quick launch so i can get a good time at the 1/4 mile when i go

thanks!

rgwinn
02-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Well, I just did a google advanced search and found this:

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=136

There are many others if you want to look for them . . .

Basically,

Tarmac Mode
ASC off
Sport Mode
Left Foot brake
Raise RPM to about 4k
take foot off brake
Go!

Doing this I hit 60 in 4.7 seconds

RG-RA
03-01-2011, 12:19 AM
^^^ what he said and remember if you really set on getting your best time pay no attention to the green light and just go when your ready also I don't know about everyone elses car but I hit max torque and boost at about 3500 rpm so that's where I launch at also don't forget the cool down period hahaha stupid slow down light

pbassist12
03-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Well, I just did a google advanced search and found this:

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=136

There are many others if you want to look for them . . .

Basically,

Tarmac Mode
ASC off
Sport Mode
Left Foot brake
Raise RPM to about 4k
take foot off brake
Go!

Doing this I hit 60 in 4.7 seconds

Thanks! I might try this once before i get on the track so i can kinda get the feel for it

Tuqwik4u
03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Everything that rgwinn said, But to get your Rpms to 4k or so, The best way is to have your foot on the brake and tap the throttle repeatedly and qwikly, Working the Rpms up with some ease not like brake torqing the Rpms up(forcing them). Let me know if u have any more questions plz. Here's a vid of my first time ever at the track all I had at that time was a muffler delete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqaPx-ZgiyU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

rgwinn
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
^ Well, that is the "Advanced" method :D

Mkid
03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I still can't figure out the tapping thing. It always feels like the clutch is engaged when I do it which doesn't seem right.

jRox
03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
I prefer the quick tap method. There's a reason why you get the slow down light with brake boosting; It's a warning.

Yeah, I still can't figure out the tapping thing. It always feels like the clutch is engaged when I do it which doesn't seem right.
If you quickly tap the gas, the clutch won't be fully engaged. You should only be lurking forward.

nickvee
02-26-2012, 07:33 PM
you hit 4.7? stock? !!!

Jackal
02-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Weird I have had mine at the track a few times and if I try to rev the engine using the fast tap method the car goes into limp mode if I get the revs higher than about 2800 RPM. I have made about 60 runs in total over the last 30 months with my car trying different things and you basically have to get the feel of what your car will allow you to get away with.

With our car I find you can do a good time or a good reaction time but it is extremely hard to do both. My 2 cents would be stay out of the grooves the big muscle cars with giant slicks run in. Align yourself up to run on the high ground just to the outside of the grooves as you will have less rolling resistance and with AWD loss of traction isnt really an issue for us. LOL !

EricS09RA
02-27-2012, 06:47 AM
I found that I'm less prone to get the slow down light if I keep the car in manual mode. She doesn't seem to like being launched in auto.

skills
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM
completely stock, I hit around 14.15sec 1/4 mile, using the tap method. Anything else feels really bad for the car. Even without the brake and tap, WOT from a standstill pretty much launches the car from 3-4k anyway.
I've never gotten a slow down light or limp mode from accelerating or launching. I guess that's because I'm stock?

BST50N
01-02-2013, 09:01 PM
I tried this the other night with my RA. Left ASC on and in tarmac mode. Did the tap method - 1st time i got the 'slow down' light. 2nd time after releasing the brake the car revved to 5k before it went BAM and the power hit really hard launching me forward quite quick. Was quite fun :) will have to try her out at the strip and see how she goes.

skills
01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
I tried this the other night with my RA. Left ASC on and in tarmac mode. Did the tap method - 1st time i got the 'slow down' light. 2nd time after releasing the brake the car revved to 5k before it went BAM and the power hit really hard launching me forward quite quick. Was quite fun :) will have to try her out at the strip and see how she goes.

Turn off ASC. It cuts engine power and confuses things when on while launching/spirited driving.

http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=3457

I've launched the car a bunch of times... and done autox, drag, etc, and have not once gotten the slow down light. Not sure if other people are doing things wrong, or I am!

I think the key is to tap QUICKLY. Meaning, don't hold the gas down at all, for more than a few quick stabs before releasing the brake and going WOT. The idea is to do it quick so the clutch doesn't engage until you're up there already. Just because the brake is on, doesn't mean it won't engage the clutch. Too slow of a tap (held down too long) and it will start to drag the clutch, in my experience, and therefore could cause the clutch to overheat and turn on the "slow down" notice.

have fun!

MikeW-RRE
01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Here is another launch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m29HPNTxRQ&feature=share&list=UUjfDjdeR2UQJn_ZqLXGYB3w

Mike W

MTZL
01-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Trick is to tap the throttle very fast. kinda like tap dancing. Maybe tap dancing video may help. :D

BST50N
01-06-2013, 04:27 PM
I tried the tap tap method a couple of times last week. First time I got it to work great, car launched pretty hard - seemed to hit 5k RPM before it lept off the line. Tried to do it twice more after this and I got 'slow down' and car wouldn't drive!? To get it to even drive I had to put it into neutral and back to D. Let it cool down for a bit and tried again. Same thing, got slow down and car wouldn't move forward. Disengaging D and Re engaging got it driving again, but I'm a bit concerned that this isn't healthy. Probably wont be trying this again for a while!

skills
01-06-2013, 07:37 PM
I tried the tap tap method a couple of times last week. First time I got it to work great, car launched pretty hard - seemed to hit 5k RPM before it lept off the line. Tried to do it twice more after this and I got 'slow down' and car wouldn't drive!? To get it to even drive I had to put it into neutral and back to D. Let it cool down for a bit and tried again. Same thing, got slow down and car wouldn't move forward. Disengaging D and Re engaging got it driving again, but I'm a bit concerned that this isn't healthy. Probably wont be trying this again for a while!

Did you try this order?

Tap tap tap

Release brake
Mash gas

Make sure when you mash the pedal the brake is no longer engaged. The car won't move until a half second later anyway, it has to spool. Check the video I posted. I launched today at 5.5k no problems. Tap tap tap up to 3-4k, release brake and mash gas at the same time(brake released slightly before you mash gas), the rev jumps up to 5ish without the brake. It all happens within a half second or so. If done right you won't get the slow down light.

And yes you are correct it isn't healthy. But it sure is quick.

skills
01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Also I've found you really need to commit to it. Letting off the gas or not fully depressing it and half assing it slightly disengages the clutch and makes it drag. Not a good thing with all that power. I remember before I had the technique down I was worried about it because it felt like it was slipping. Now that I commit to the launches it just grabs and goes!

MTZL
01-07-2013, 06:30 PM
May want to invest in my sst coolers when you are going to heat them up.