PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plates

Samsquachi
03-01-2011, 03:58 AM
To all you daily driving RAs. Have you found that the skid plates are fairly useless?

Drove through a 2 foot snow drift, fresh light snow, no ice, nothing hard and the skid plates tore apart...

Jackal
03-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Last spring I drove down a road that was flooded water was higher than the curb for several blocks. I was afraid water might fill up the tail pipes and stall out the car so I hit the water doing about 80 km /hr got through o.k but thought I got big box or something stuck underneath. Nope it was the plastic panel had ripped off one side and was dragging on the concrete now. Took it home jacked up the car anr tywrapped it up until I could take it to Stealership to get all the clips and stuff replaced that was lost in the water.

I am thinking of going to an aluminum one but not on the top of my list right now.

vplukas101
03-01-2011, 07:55 AM
http://www.dirtyevo.com/showthread.php?t=579

Samsquachi
03-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the link vplukas101, I seen some pics of that style when I did a google search earlier. Definitly considering an aluminum one now to put in place of the now open underbelly...

Jackal, I would have turned around in your case lol probably should have done the same with the snow as the -25 temperature combined with the impact to a fluffy 2 foot snow drift caused my plate shatter... :(

Jackal
03-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Are you kidding me that was one of the best memories with the car so far. You should of seen the huge wake walls of water of 20 ft tall being forced up and out like Moses parting the Red Sea. They came crashing down ontop of the big 4x4 who were literally crawling along.

Samsquachi
03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Are you kidding me that was one of the best memories with the car so far. You should of seen the huge wake walls of water of 20 ft tall being forced up and out like Moses parting the Red Sea. They came crashing down ontop of the big 4x4 who were literally crawling along.

Okay, you make a very good point haha at least your plate was able to be put back on

GAbOS
03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Do the aftermarket plates take into account the SST cooling?

jRox
03-02-2011, 08:22 PM
I would consider that skid plate if it had a removable plate for access of the oil filter.

Tuqwik4u
03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
You guys live in some crazy places lol

MTZL
03-03-2011, 12:14 PM
I like this one better.
http://clubralliart.com/showpost.php?p=10245&postcount=53

Jackal
03-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I like it better because it is more practical where you could do an oil and filter change without having to drop the plate. My question is how much more weight is being added to the front underside of your car compared to the plastic piece? If I decide to continue throwing my car in all sorts of events or just spirited driving both at the track and off road how will this affect me.

1. 1/4 times with more weight.
2. Off road rally gravel driving front to rear weight bias especially when braking etc.

Just looking for answers or opinions.

Samsquachi
03-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I like this one better.

Agreed, this one is more practical. Where can a guy buy one of these anyways? Or maybe some specs to build our own?

Jackal has some good questions I'd like to know what the added weight is as well.

jRox
03-07-2011, 04:27 AM
I like this one better.

Will this fit the RA's? I don't think the undertray mounting points are the same on the X.

Samsquachi
03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Bump. Anyone know if/where this can be bought in Canada?

Rall1art
05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
MTZL Where did you find those pictures? Is that custom someone made or could that be purchased? I gotta get rid of that flimsy plastic crap under there for the driving I do lol, trouble finding something worth investing that can take a beating without suffering cooling or performance.

MTZL
05-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Will this fit the RA's? I don't think the undertray mounting points are the same on the X.

That one in the picture is made by SSP & yes it is for the EVO X GSR.
No it will not fit our RA.

Im designing one for our RA. ;)

MTZL
05-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I like it better because it is more practical where you could do an oil and filter change without having to drop the plate. My question is how much more weight is being added to the front underside of your car compared to the plastic piece? If I decide to continue throwing my car in all sorts of events or just spirited driving both at the track and off road how will this affect me.

1. 1/4 times with more weight.
2. Off road rally gravel driving front to rear weight bias especially when braking etc.

Just looking for answers or opinions.

It is 13lbs total from SSP
6061 aluminum.

MTZL
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
MTZL Where did you find those pictures? Is that custom someone made or could that be purchased? I gotta get rid of that flimsy plastic crap under there for the driving I do lol, trouble finding something worth investing that can take a beating without suffering cooling or performance.

SSP

Im trying design one for our RA. With SST Drain pannel & Filter Pannel.

It will not be overnight thing since I have to save money for build materials & learn to use AutoCAD & some other softwares.

I know the 2 owners of a machine shop next door to where I work.
A friend of mine works for some metal company.

I just need to pull the resources together & make it happen.
Unless someone step up & offer a solution.

jRox
05-11-2011, 02:46 PM
SSP

It will not be overnight thing since I have to save money for build materials & learn to use AutoCAD & some other softwares.

Props for pursuing this and doing it legit. Def would be interested. :D

MTZL
05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Yeah so if you guys dont see me logged on for awhile, you will know that Im learning something new to make something like this happen.

racerx43269
09-14-2011, 04:36 PM
SSP

I have autocad and can use it pretty well.... I just need some one to take measurements.... I have an evo X so I can assume it is different compaired to the ralliart... however teh measurements cant be THAT much different.... and what about cooling vents? doesnt the stock ones have vents to them?

Jackal
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Looking forward to the finished product.

jRox
09-15-2011, 11:09 AM
I have autocad and can use it pretty well.... I just need some one to take measurements.... I have an evo X so I can assume it is different compaired to the ralliart... however teh measurements cant be THAT much different.... and what about cooling vents? doesnt the stock ones have vents to them?
Ahh nice! Which measurements do you need?

Jackal
09-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Bump for an update! I will be trying some rally cross and possibly stage rally event I will need to have this so let me know time frame otherwise I will have to go with the Ebay find it by Google then Do it Myself route if necessary.

KyleKitchen
11-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Bump for infoooooz.
My skid plate got ripped off at Pismo Beach in July.

Jackal
11-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I was tired of waiting so I built my own and I Love it. Also have a short follow up video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianJackal?feature=mhee

KyleKitchen
11-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I was tired of waiting so I built my own and I Love it.

Send nudes!

Mkid
12-01-2011, 01:49 PM
lol. Any plans to make and sell these and/or release the plans for them?

Jackal
12-01-2011, 04:48 PM
I was thinking in the new year I could do a batch of 30 or so if there is a demand. I was thinking to make them look nicer I would use diamond plate but I will wait and see if I get enough response.

I have my rally this Sunday so I am looking forward to seeing how it holds up. Anything is gonna be better than those paper thin pieces of plastic all inter connected by 40 plus plastic snap do hickey things.

Mkid
12-02-2011, 08:16 AM
How much do you think you'd let them go for?

Jackal
12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't know for sure until I figure out what the diamond plate would cost and the cost to have a cnc program written then the time on the plasma or laser machine. If I got 12 to 20 people who were willing to commit to about $360 plus taxes shipping etc.. I would consider it but I am not pulling thousands of dollars out of pocket if there is no demand.

EricS09RA
12-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Looks good, but I'd like to see some air vents, like the OEM's have

GAbOS
12-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Diamond plate weighs much more, no?

Skid plates are to keep stuffs from getting jammed up in there when you nail the ground. Your gonna dent some stuff for sure in a rallyX event, just minimize ripping shit off. Well, other than the skid plate. :)

If you want to go full on rally. usually same deal, maybe thicker alumn. Oh, and forget your body as you will be drilling holes all over for support and odd ends.

Funny, but yes it works.
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17258

Jackal
12-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Event is tomorrow so I am going out the garage to throw some black spray paint on it then check after the event to see where the paint gets worn and see if any of the hardware comes loose falls out etc. Also going to paint the bottom edge of my front end in the middle to give it the Evo X look I guess then determine whether I will put the lip back on or if its in too bad a shape out to the garbage.

wemay
11-23-2012, 08:25 AM
My clips started to break after driving through all the puddles accosiated with the incredible rain we've had over the past year in Miami. Took the undertray off and now value the ability to inspect everything wthout taking that bloody thing off, clip by clip by clip. You can also tell if there is a leak much earlier because the drops would fall straight to the pavement and not on the plastic. No change in driving characteristics at all. Been 6k miles.

wemay
11-23-2012, 08:27 AM
To all you daily driving RAs. Have you found that the skid plates are fairly useless?

Drove through a 2 foot snow drift, fresh light snow, no ice, nothing hard and the skid plates tore apart...

Havent run with the undertray for 6k miles on the RA, and old EVO8 didnt have it for 150k for 178k miles i owned it. Not one issue or change concerning the vehicle's characteristics.

Jackal
11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Found I was ripping my plastic under tray panels to shreds on a regular basis racing my car both off road, on track and on ice. After replacing them for the second time I looked into the cost of some sheet aluminum 3/16 thick and just used the old plastic under tray as a template. It's the best thing I have done for the car so far LOL !