PDA

View Full Version : Speedin thru Philly in someone's discarded RA

Dunno
03-09-2011, 02:42 PM
What up? (per Jrox's suggestion) ...I just purchased an 09 OBP RA in Feburary, traded in a 2003 325i and I couldn't be happier, this thing is almost too fun to drive! Unfourtantely in less then 3 weeks I already cracked the windshield and some jealous terd was reckless getting out of their car and completely destroyed my passenger side door w/ theirs. So now I'm driving around rented Ford Edge while it gets repaired :mad: ...but I must say the engine and exhaust are pretty loud, I'm not complaining but I'm sure my neighbors are at 6am LOL! ...I kinda wondering thou what mods the previous owner might have made to it, and I'm not sure how to find out other than to ask if certain things are "normal" meaning stock. The dealer let me purchase an additional 100k warranty so if anything was "modded" I'm pretty certain it wasn't anything major. I'm questioning my exhaust specifically, there doesn't seem to be a muffler on my ride just exhaust pipes, is that normal? I'd try google images but I'm not sure that would help when I don't know what that areas is supposed to look like stock. Any help or advise would be appreciated, even a welcome to the club will do I guess. Thanks!

vplukas101
03-09-2011, 03:31 PM
pics would help

Mkid
03-09-2011, 03:56 PM
There definitely is a muffler on a stock car. it sits right behind the black plastic diffuser looking piece that wraps under the rear bumper and is mounted perpendicular to the car.

like this:

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Products2/STi-08/08-STi-SingleMuffler-RolledTips1.JPG

note:

This is not an RA, I'm just showing him where it would be and what it would look like.

Dunno
03-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Yea I definitely gotta post a pic of this mess good idea, it will be in the shop for the next week but soon as I get it out I'll post. ...but yea that's pretty much whet I expected to see when I looked under there but nada. Thanks guys

Dunno
03-15-2011, 09:58 AM
I finally got my car back! Please take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. There defintely doesn't look like there's a muffler under there, iDunno it looks pretty ugly. The exhaust backfired yesterday, at first I thought it sounded kind of cool but if it should'nt do that I'm wondering if I should be concerned and get this "fixed".

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/smelly2shoes/1300207237.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/smelly2shoes/1300207563.jpg

GAbOS
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
LOL Bang up job someone did there.

I am actually considering something similar from the axle back (just pipe, no muffler) but I hope to have something a little more professional looking that that. :)

I recently replaced my Axle back piece with a custom Magnaflow built by RRE and when I had the stock off, started the car up to see how it sounded and it wasnt too loud at all. Granted, I am stock from the turbo back to the axle.

Ralliart23
03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
I finally got my car back! Please take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. There defintely doesn't look like there's a muffler under there, iDunno it looks pretty ugly. The exhaust backfired yesterday, at first I thought it sounded kind of cool but if it should'nt do that I'm wondering if I should be concerned and get this "fixed".

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/smelly2shoes/1300207237.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i48/smelly2shoes/1300207563.jpg

uhm, i think its time for an exhaust :eek:

Dunno
03-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Smfh! Well considering my warranty doesn't cover the exhaust I guess I have the right to fool around under there, just wish the moron before me keep it the way it was. ...guess he was trying to make the car sound meaner...he also removed the Ralliart tag from the back, think he was trying to pass it off as an evo to those who are ignorant of the RA. ...apparently I have alot of different options under there, any suggestions that woulnt have me packing lunch for awhile? Know of any good mechanics in the Philly area to take it? ...They're all such sleazeballs, the bad ones always get to screw ya at least once.

GAbOS
03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Mike at RRE is a huge help. You can get a axle back from him for a steal and it will bolt right up no problem right where you see the connection at the rear axle.

E46byeRAhi
03-15-2011, 12:08 PM
i have the OEM ralliart exhaust in great condition that i'd sell to you for a steal as well.

KyleKitchen
03-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the site!

Woaaaaah, they didnt put a Y-pipe on there? Kinda just cut a hole and welded more pipe to it. Talk about uneven flow!
I'd probably take that to an exhaust shop......... Or buy a new cat back.

But welcome to the site! Its an amazing car, you'll love it!

Jackal
03-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the club, but I gotta tell you OMG what a fricken Frankenstein! Get something done about that ASAP that be embarrassing LOL ! I too have the entire factory stock exhaust sitting outside my garage is anyone was interested in it. First dibs would go to a Canadian member first though as I am not keen about sending stuff across the border.

Insane11RA
03-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Who would do such a thing, that exhaust is ... well if you get cut taking it off make sure you get a tetanus shot.

Dunno
03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Hummm...thanks for the offer guys. I definitely want to do some research and educate myself a little bit before I decide on what I'm gonna do. When I know enough to make a comfortable decision, and if I like what either of you have I'll be in touch to see if your still holding the parts and if the offer still stands, thanks!

Dunno
03-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Welcome to the site!

Woaaaaah, they didnt put a Y-pipe on there? Kinda just cut a hole and welded more pipe to it. Talk about uneven flow!
I'd probably take that to an exhaust shop......... Or buy a new cat back.

But welcome to the site! Its an amazing car, you'll love it!

Thanks brother I'm already smitten! But smh I question the exhaust flow on evo.net saying my driver side pipe seems to be a "dummy" is this normal ...I guess with my jimmyrigged setup this makes sense.

...but you all are great on this site everyones so friendly and helpful, hope to return the favor some day, thanks again!