PDA

View Full Version : Cobb from stage 1 to 2 question

hotkupa
03-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I am currently running stage 1 93 Octane. Only mods are Magnaflow CB, Evo X fmic, UR uicp, and K&N. I have UR downpipe sitting in my basement and thinking about getting UR high flow cat pipe. The question is will it make ma car much louder? I really enjoy the smooth growl of Magnaflow. How much difference in sound would the switch make. Is it worthy??

Krisko
03-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Im running stage 2. At first when I was running a stock ra fmic the exhaust was so loud I set off car alarms daily. After I upgraded my fmic and intercooler pipes the exhaust became alot less as well as some of the drone. However, since you have you have the evo x fmic and your going to go stage2 your still going to need a tune afterwards. Your timing will be off and since alot more air from the small turbo is going through a metal uicp into a bigger fmic your going to experience some turbo lag.

Just keep in mind stage 2 means turbo back exhaust with high flow cat and downpipe upgrade only.

hotkupa
03-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Do i need the tune right away? I do not care about the turbo lag. UICP and evo X fmic should not change my numbers that bad, i saw other people running simmilar setup. Let me know what you think.
thanks

Krisko
03-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Well from my experience:

-The exhaust was no where near as loud as it use to be, but at high rpm's, it will be.

-You going to hear the extra flow of air coming from your turbo, its going to act, sound and flow as if the fmic is too big for it.

-Boost spike will be very common.

-Boost lag at take off will be common

I know that sounds silly, but the Stage 2 flash is stock everything except the full turbo catback set up. When you add the Intercooler upgrade to the Stage 2 flash, the timing needs to be changed. At this point, a solenoid boost controller would be a good investment along with the tune.

By this point, the only thing left is e85, turbo swap or short ram upgrade.

hotkupa
03-12-2011, 09:57 PM
I will go to stage II probably around summer time. I shouldn't have any problems with currant set up till then?

Krisko
03-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Nothing bad will happen to your car or hurt it, it's just that the FMIC isn't a part of the Stage 1 or 2 flash, so it's not going to run the exact way the flash is instructing it to do.

If you want to test this out, try putting back on the stock UICP/FMIC and then replace it back with the upgraded parts, you'll see exactly what I mean. Your cars "reaction" will be different at low and high end. Mid range seems to be a noticeable increase though.