PDA

View Full Version : street tune or dyno

vplukas101
03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
what is better and do you guys recomend?

RG-RA
03-15-2011, 04:24 PM
dyno tune 100% check out my thread http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=1477 green line is street tune red and blue are dyno tunes

Jackal
03-15-2011, 04:41 PM
I think this is a no brainer. Dyno tune obviously unless there is no talent or experience involved in which case what were you thinking ? LOL!

vplukas101
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
people keep saying street because i drive it on the street the most its soo confusing :confused:

GAbOS
03-15-2011, 07:06 PM
You tune the motor to gain power. Turning left and right has nothing to do with what your right foot does. You tune your suspension and chassis at the track (on the street) though. :)

Exyia
03-15-2011, 07:58 PM
I would pick dyno purely for safety reasons....

sstevojr
03-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd say dyno, then clean up on the street. After my dyno at RRE, I did a few street pulls and saw a dramatic difference in how the boost hit. Significant more taper on the street than the dyno....

MikeW-RRE
03-19-2011, 01:32 AM
With the right dyno you can simulate any street condition and then some. My Dynapack AWD dyno can hold any load at a given RPM in on RPM increments. It can hold any rpm at a given load, and make a full sweep through the rpm range in one second or 10 minutes if you wanted (typical is 2 seconds per 1,000 rpm). A good dyno controls the car to do what you want it to.

Properly setup virtual dyno software can give good feedback on newer cars. Some give remarkably accurate numbers. But it is all in the diligence of the setup numbers and weight that you use. Street tuners that also use dynos can get it dialed in nicely.

I have only been pulled over once tuning on the dyno :-P We were tuning a Lister (kind of Cobra/Jaguar XKE looking thing) in the wee hours of the morning. A local cop several blocks away heard a big V8 runnign and running. He figured he'd find someone doing donuts. He drove to the corner by the shop and couldnt see anything but could hear the car make another pull. So he sneaks onto our little cul-de-sac and looks and nothing. Then he hears it again and goes looking for all the tire smoke... nothing. Pulls into our parking lot towards the sound. Nope, nothing. Again with the full dyno pull and he pulls his squad car into the back by the dyno door with his lights on :-/ "What the heck are you guys doing?" Gave him a tour of the dyno (having a V8 on the dyno really helped) and he hung out for 45 minutes till he got a real call and had to take off. He stops by every once ina while to see what we are up to and BS.

Street tuning can be ok on the right deserted road up to about 350 whp. After that, I find there just isnt enough open road. I always make the customer drive when I get sucked into checking a tune on the street :-)

ECU Flash, EVO Scan, dynos and virtual dynos are all just tools. It is all in how you use them. I can and have used a measuring tapes and a bubble level and totally kicked the ass of a monkey on a 100k laser alignment machine. A hammer can destroy a car or it can fix it. Worry more about choosing the guy using the various tools than the tools themselves.

Mike W

blkside
03-19-2011, 10:04 AM
This man speaks the truth.. My RRE built and tuned X makes 500whp on a tune that is as safe as it gets. I have been at RRE and done street tunes back in the day. I have done them at SGs house getting my SE tuned in 06. None of these will get you to an accurate safe and productive tune as the dyno will.

Ill try and get a short vid of my 400HP low map pull posted.

sstevojr
03-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm not trying to dispute at all, definitely dyno tune all day. I'm just saying there might be something to be gained from cleaning up on the street (ok so its only like a +/-5% change, but I'm retarded like that). When I got my car dyno-ed I reported back what was on the graph; it showed 16psi at the end of the graph (red-line for intents and purposes). I got called bullsh!t on it (being a small a$$ RA turbo). So I went out and did a few pulls where I live (I'm blessed with living somewhere that has long wide roads that go straight for miles and miles; no, not Iowa :P) Sure enough the graph showed 14 psi at redline. Is that just the difference in how the 2 programs read, or is that the difference in load from dyno vs street?
Kinda of off topic, but funny none the less:
When I was doing the pulls out on the street, I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop. He says " I pulled you over for your speed". I told him sorry about that, I was just running a test on my car for safety, wanted to make the engine wasn't knocking and it was running within safe margins. He sees the laptop connected to the OBD port, and say "is that why you were just sitting on the side of road? waiting for a clear break in traffic?" I told him exactly, I wasn't out trying to race, just making sure the vehicle was operating properly cuz I had installed a new intercooler. He asks "does this come with a turbo stock" yes sir it does. "Ok, cuz you were pulling away from me well in excess of 75mph, in a 50 zone" (it was a 3rd gear pull). Sorry about that sir. Hands me back my license, "ok well just be careful, we have plenty of roads with less traffic on them" (jaw on floor) yes sir, thank you sir!
Totally made my day :)

GAbOS
03-19-2011, 04:35 PM
lol.. My luck, I would have been dragged out of the car and tazed.

vplukas101
03-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I would pick dyno purely for safety reasons....

yea, i agree :(

jay10ralliart
03-26-2011, 01:02 PM
lol.. My luck, I would have been dragged out of the car and tazed.
Haha....I was thinking the same thing thats exactly what would happen to me if I were in that situation