PDA

View Full Version : exhaust mod/drop in req tune?

dsm.rr.ra
03-30-2011, 10:58 AM
hey guys, like the title says...

i want to do the exhaust mod and a cosworth drop in (mike that will be from you) and was curious if a tune will be needed. the more i read about this car, the more i see that tuning is required for most anything. i want to stay stock on the power side (for now) to reduce issues and retain warranty. im thinking these two things are minimal mods that wont garner too much attention if an issue pops up. later i will do the turbo upgrade/full tune thing, but i just cant right now. anyhow, will a tune be needed? will it help gas mileage at all? will there be any increase in performance or drivability? these are all separate questions as i am not expecting all of them to occur.

mike, if you come across this thread id appreciate your input. also what to take a moment to thank you for this mod and instructions. i plan to order the drop in from you in the near future.

i will contribute a write up on swift springs in the near future with pics and commentary btw.

thks in advance for any info...

mo
(new on the forum btw, hello everybody...)

RalliArtist
03-30-2011, 11:11 AM
You don't need a tune for any of those mods. People just say to get it tuned to get full potential from whatever you're installing, but its not required.

What exhaust are you interested in? I would suggest Ultimate Racing. I have their axleback and couldn't be happier.

But BTW, messing around with the ECU will void the entire warranty.

BravoZero
03-30-2011, 11:19 AM
You don't need a tune for any of those mods. People just say to get it tuned to get full potential from whatever you're installing, but its not required.

+1 for what he said. Now, if you get into installing intakes and turboback systems or anything major, then you would need a tune in order for your car to be able to use those parts.

dsm.rr.ra
03-30-2011, 07:09 PM
until i do a complete turbo swap with tune, this is the extent that i want to do as far as power is concerned. im not going to change anything, just mod what is already there (hence the drop in and alter stock muffler mod). i don't want to crack the ecu cause i know its a point for dsm to screw with me on. ive been a little concerned with the dct and failure issues around 20k, so im not gonna do anything in warranty at this time.

i have lowered the car on swift and will likely do the whiteline sway bar with wheels/tires to follow soon after. with the exception of the stereo and some minor things here and there, that be about all. im not goin to throw bags of money at a 25k car...i just want to personalize and make it comfortable for me. the turbo upgrade (and related bits) is the extreme end of what i will do and that is only if i keep the car for the next few years.

-mo-