PDA

View Full Version : Oil Accumulator

wwralliart77
04-05-2011, 09:58 PM
What do you guys think about installing an oil accumulator on our RAs? An oil accumulator is basically a reserve tank that holds a predetermined amount of pressurized oil in a tank. It helps prevent engine wearing "dry start" by having a few quarts of pressurized oil readily available on engine start-up and thus the lubrication system of the vehicle no longer needs to build oil pressure to feed the system. It can help supply up to 40 more horses more as well as prolong engine life. It can be activated by a switch or routed directly to our ignition so that it automatically turns on upon start-up. Maybe Mike W from RRE can share his thoughts?!

MikeW-RRE
04-06-2011, 12:35 AM
The ones with the automatic switch get pretty expensive to buy and probably as much to install. On a gutted out race car it can be tricky to find a spot to put it, on a full featured AWD turbo car I cant imagine where the whole mess would go. We use one on our shop Eclipse race car. More to deal with possible oil starvation on high G corners. I dont really see the cost/bennifit working out too well on a daily driver.

Mike
W

wwralliart77
04-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Hmm...I guess I was more interested in promoting engine life since the turbo already decreases it. Anyhow the ones I've been looking at are from Summit Racing and range in price from $150-$300 or so, not horribly expensive. As far as mounting goes the ones I've seen are cylinder shaped so they aren't too big, but you got me on install fees. Guess it's only worth it if you track and are pushing high hp?

sstevojr
04-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Where does this hook up to the engine? I'm having a hard time visualizing...