PDA

View Full Version : to resonate or not to resonate?

LouisianaRA
05-06-2011, 06:01 PM
so i will definitely be buying a UR cat-back in the weeks to come, but i am on the fence about a resonator.. For those of you who have heard both, is there a big difference? i want a deep, fairly loud tone that stays pretty uniform, so i'm thinking i should resonate. HELP!

BravoZero
05-06-2011, 06:08 PM
If your laws are somewhat strict about modified vehicles, exhaust systems especially, it's best to go with the catback with the resonator and mini-muffler. It will still have a nice aggressive tone that isn't TOO loud but isn't as loud as the straight catback. And you'll get rid of most of the in-cabin drone.

LouisianaRA
05-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Exhaust laws here are never enforced, before my RA i had a sierra with cherry bombs and never had an issue. Ive already decided i dont want the mini muff, does the resonator sound better or is it just quiter? thanks

BravoZero
05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
If that's the case, go without. Just get the full catback, no resonator or mini muffler.

LouisianaRA
05-06-2011, 06:33 PM
i think i might, so sound quality is the same, its just the loudness thats different? and UR is not ricey at all right?

Ralliart23
05-06-2011, 08:00 PM
i have the exhaust, you cant not get the resonator. i strongly suggest it, youll regret not having it

RG-RA
05-07-2011, 02:36 AM
all i can say is the louder the better! i let my wife take my car to a friends house the other day while i was working on a buddies car and i still heard her get on it from about 4 blocks away but it remains pritty mellow and a nice growl when in town cruising but im running DP and test pipe with the mini mufflers

RalliNurse
05-07-2011, 11:49 AM
i think i might, so sound quality is the same, its just the loudness thats different? and UR is not ricey at all right?

I have both resonator and mini muff...it sounds like Infinity G35/37 but a bit louder and more growl compare to th G's...but if u go all straight...then it'll be louder then my setup for sure... :D

Since u don't have to worry about popo...just go without!!!

And no...UR is not Ricey...unless u try to put it on a vtec...then yeah... :p

Jackal
05-07-2011, 08:10 PM
I have Ultimate racing complete Turbo to tail pipe exhaust and I will tell you even though I love it and I do have the resonator. Do yourself a favour and spend the extra money and get both the resonator and the midmuffler. Otherwise the drone on long trips will annoy you and piss off your passengers. I will probaby be re ordering the mid pipe with both options next year if I can get someone to buy my mid pipe with just the resonator. It sounds wicked when I am at the track and have the car in sport mode coming down the straight away at close to 200 km/hr but my kids hate being in the back with the drone because they can't hear a conversation going on in the front even with the stereo off.

jRox
05-08-2011, 07:58 AM
There's a difference between loud and drone. With a straight pipe setup, you're asking for a whole lot of both. I can deal with a loud exhaust. I can't tolerate exhaust drone and trust me your passengers will suffer. I ride with family and friends a lot, so I try to be as considerate as possible.

http://clubralliart.com/showpost.php?p=17188&postcount=35

Loud without drone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzVrl43keHA&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

LouisianaRA
05-12-2011, 04:06 PM
sorry i havent had time to get on, but i have had time to think, and im gonna go with my original decision to get the resonater, i can deal with a little drone, i listen to music loud anyway, but i really don't want it toooo loud and too much drone, thanks for all the opinions though, probably gonna make an order in 3 weeks :)