PDA

View Full Version : High Flow Cat

BlackRA
05-10-2011, 09:37 AM
I was wondering what high flow cats people are using on this forum and if they had any issues with any of them. I am not interested in test pipes, just high flow cats. I am planning on ordering mine this weekend and have heard some of them have a bad gas smell and some do not. I was leaning towards the ultimate racing ceramic, but wanted to see what others on here are using.

BravoZero
05-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Interested about this as well.

ralliartSAT
05-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I have an ultimate racing high flow cat, running it for about 2k miles with the UR down pipe and no problems. When I first installed it and started it for the first time I had a strong gas smell, but when I let it sit for a min the smell went away and to this date have had no problems. If your planing on doing HFC you should do the down pipe at the same time because their basically in the same spot well eatheir way you'd have to take the HFC off again lol unless you plan on leaving the stoked DP. Hope this helps and good luck!

Ralliart26
05-10-2011, 10:38 AM
I have the UR High flow cat too, No problems so far. I've been running it since October! Couldn't tell you the mileage. No CELs

Jackal
05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I had had the whole UR Turbo back system on my car since March 2010 including the high flow Cat. Great exhaust system, only that happened a couple of times is that it caused a CEL for Catylytic performance below minimum efficiency threshold. It was -40 deg Celcius and I forgot to warm up the car first before driving it. I had the Dealership check it out just to be safe.

BlackRA
05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks, I think I will be ordering the UR high flow cat this weekend.

jRox
05-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Call me skeptical, but is a tune required when messing with the CAT? I've heard that replacing it for a HFC or test pipe could cause overboosting issues.

Any input?

BravoZero
05-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Call me skeptical, but is a tune required when messing with the CAT? I've heard that replacing it for a HFC or test pipe could cause overboosting issues.

Any input?

That's what I'm wondering as well. I'll be ordering my Borla system soon and I'd like to install a HFC while I'm under the car, but if it's going to cause even slight issues without a tune, forget it I'll wait.

Jackal
05-11-2011, 05:38 PM
No not really I switched from full factory exhaust to full UR Exhaust with high flow cat and drove over 4 months before getting my tune with no problems. You are basically uncorking some of the back pressure so you might lose a little throttle response in the low end and gain a little more power mid to high and your fuel economy will improve by 5 to 15% depending on your driving city / highway and of course your driving style. No check engine lights or anything.

But that is UR and they engineered their system for our car start to finish. I would think you might wanna stick with one brand for your exhaust not mix and match sowhatever brand you wanna go with stick with it.

Exyia
05-11-2011, 06:32 PM
I have an ultimate racing high flow cat, running it for about 2k miles with the UR down pipe and no problems. When I first installed it and started it for the first time I had a strong gas smell, but when I let it sit for a min the smell went away and to this date have had no problems. If your planing on doing HFC you should do the down pipe at the same time because their basically in the same spot well eatheir way you'd have to take the HFC off again lol unless you plan on leaving the stoked DP. Hope this helps and good luck!

I wouldn't suggest this 100%

If you have any plans to upgrade from the dixie-cup RA turbo (which I think everyone should), you're going to need a new downpipe anyway. I consider the downpipe more attached to the turbo than the exhaust (as in, upgrade it with a new turbo)

also if you're paying someone to do it, the downpipe is a bit more labor and a pita to install

hell if you plan to stay stock RA turbo, I wouldn't waste money on a DP at all.

Krisko
05-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't suggest this 100%

If you have any plans to upgrade from the dixie-cup RA turbo (which I think everyone should), you're going to need a new downpipe anyway. I consider the downpipe more attached to the turbo than the exhaust (as in, upgrade it with a new turbo)

also if you're paying someone to do it, the downpipe is a bit more labor and a pita to install

hell if you plan to stay stock RA turbo, I wouldn't waste money on a DP at all.

Atleast a short DP is recommended for the RA, especially if he plans to get a tune that requires an upgraded full exhaust system.

Cesarn2928
05-16-2011, 12:10 AM
i have the UR HFC ceramic.. so far so good.. ive had it over 3 weeks.. n no issues :)i like the sound aswell!! oh yeh only one little problem when i installed...
i got the bung for the Air/fuel .. well there was this weird sound there... the bung was too short or something like dat... well i added a spacer between the sensor n the welded bung .. so its good now :D perfection

ltn
06-21-2011, 01:29 PM
So sorry to bring up a old post but I'm thinking about getting a HFC after selling my catback as it's too loud for the gf and i was wondering what everyone thought of the UR hfc ceramic one. Also has anyone had any CEL's problems with the HFC. Also if anyone wants a Magnaflow Catback let me know. I'm willing to let it go pretty cheap if you PM me. Thanks.