PDA

View Full Version : E85?

caRalliArt
05-14-2011, 05:54 PM
what kind of mpg can someone expect with a stock RA converted and tuned for E85?does anyone know what whp that can be expected with a stock RA on E85?

NFSLancerRA
05-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Multiply your current mileage by 72%.

MTZL
05-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Probably around 12-15mpg depends on how you drive & how much power you're pushing. Not gonna be like 91 octane.
MPG will be less than 91 octane or 93 octane but more power.

NFSLancerRA
05-15-2011, 07:07 PM
This isn't just a re-tune and go type of modification, either.

Krisko
05-15-2011, 10:26 PM
According to a topic on evom I read (I'll look for it and post the link) E85 has much higher octane count than 91 and 93 pump gas, so this allows you to run higher boost without issues, thus you get more whp out of it. I have yet to see a stock RA turbo on E85, but I've seen Evo X turbos give +40whp. The minimum injectors you require are recommended at 800cc, but you will need an aftermarket fuel pump (Walbro 255 works perfect) and an adapter kit, which Ultimate Racing sells. Keep in mind that the injectors and fuel pump are best added to the car when you are about to do your tune, if you do this work at your home and try to drive it up to your local tuner, the car may not even idle.

Please note I get my info from Cobb tuning and Evo Dynamics here in dallas. Both do insanely quality work and above standards tunes.

Jbark
05-17-2011, 03:59 PM
If you take into consideration the cost savings of E85 you will about break even. BUT more power on E85.

caRalliArt
05-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I was thinking that.The only problem is that i can only find two gas stations around me that sell E85.

NFSLancerRA
05-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Just a heads up, many RA owners have noticed problems beginning to creep up with the UR fuel pump kit.

CHSIsupplier
05-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried e85 with stock parts. I know the Evo needs upgraded injectors and fuel pump because of its bigger turbo, but ours just doesn't push that much air. I'm ordering some injectors and a pump kit (I was thinking of the UR kit, so I'd appreciate some more info on the "problems" listed above), but I think I may try to scale the stock injectors for e85 before I put the new parts in. I'd just like to see if it's possible.

MTZL
05-24-2011, 09:40 AM
You will still need bigger injectors & higher volume fuel pump.

For those that has higher whp on E85 runs out of fuel delivery from pump & injectors cant keep up with the demands.. So bigger the better? I remember Evo X owners running double pump. (more things that can go wrong)

It is best for Bryan@GST to answer this question since he has been running E85 since he bought his RA. :D

Krisko
05-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Cobb sales a conversion kit for the fuel pump as well but its not on their site. They also sell it for WAY LESS than UR does.

zeRep85
05-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Cobb sales a conversion kit for the fuel pump as well but its not on their site. They also sell it for WAY LESS than UR does.

Oh snaps! They opening a SoCal Cobb very soon!

caRalliArt
05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I really want to convert to E85 but I want to put some other mods before I pay for tuning.Has anyone looked into the AMS big fuel kit?its like 400 and doesn't come with injectors.

CHSIsupplier
05-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Just a quick update....and I'm not recommending this to anyone yet... but my tank is officially full of corn juice, my ECU is running an e85 tune, and I'm logging some data on my stock injectors and pump. I'll know pretty soon if this is going to work or not. And like I said before, if it doesn't look safe in any way, I'll be ordering the injectors and fuel pump kit.

razorlab
05-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Just a quick update....and I'm not recommending this to anyone yet... but my tank is officially full of corn juice, my ECU is running an e85 tune, and I'm logging some data on my stock injectors and pump. I'll know pretty soon if this is going to work or not. And like I said before, if it doesn't look safe in any way, I'll be ordering the injectors and fuel pump kit.

Nice, welcome to the E85 Army.

I wanted to do that same test but I ended up modding my RA faster then I anticipated. ;)

Will be interesting to see your data.

CHSIsupplier
05-30-2011, 07:36 AM
So far my fuel trims are looking good and this thing is running great on the corn juice with my stock injectors and pump. I haven't done any WOT pulls yet (I'm being cautious ;) ), but my AFR's look great during normal everyday driving. I don't see any issues with my injector duty cycles either, so I'll most likely be doing some pulls later in the week.

And just a couple of things I'd like to point out to anyone thinking of going E85....my car is running smoother, the exhaust is quieter (I know that sounds like BS...but it really is quieter), and the exhaust smells SO much better now. No more of that sulfur smell from the HFC. So far, I'm really liking the corn juice. :)

zeRep85
05-30-2011, 09:07 AM
So far my fuel trims are looking good and this thing is running great on the corn juice with my stock injectors and pump. I haven't done any WOT pulls yet (I'm being cautious ;) ), but my AFR's look great during normal everyday driving. I don't see any issues with my injector duty cycles either, so I'll most likely be doing some pulls later in the week.

And just a couple of things I'd like to point out to anyone thinking of going E85....my car is running smoother, the exhaust is quieter (I know that sounds like BS...but it really is quieter), and the exhaust smells SO much better now. No more of that sulfur smell from the HFC. So far, I'm really liking the corn juice. :)

2010 GG FTW!

I have a 2010 GG too :D

What do you mean smoother?

I would really like to go e85 but 0 stations around me!

razorlab
05-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Yea you won't notice anything weird at cruise, idle and normal driving with E85. It is when you get into boost you will tell pretty quickly if you are going to run out of injector. ;)

You are correct on the sound change and smoothness. That was the very first thing I noticed when I started with E85 a couple years ago. The engine tone changes for sure.

CHSIsupplier
05-30-2011, 04:35 PM
2010 GG FTW!

I have a 2010 GG too :D

What do you mean smoother?

It's hard to explain...but an example would be, when I downshifted with my 91 octane tune my exhaust would "gurgle and pop" a little bit but with E85 it just downshifts and "purrs" while decelerating. And the acceleration just seems smoother as well.

CHSIsupplier
05-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Yea you won't notice anything weird at cruise, idle and normal driving with E85. It is when you get into boost you will tell pretty quickly if you are going to run out of injector. ;)

As soon as I know my long term trims are OK I'm gonna be doing some pulls. I'd be happy to send you some logs if you're interested.

zeRep85
06-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Bump! for interest!

E85

CHSIsupplier
06-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm still trying to get my fuel trims dialed in before I do any WOT pulls. I don't drive the car everyday so getting the long term trims scaled right takes a little time. But with any luck I'll be able to get some pulls in this weekend.

CHSIsupplier
06-03-2011, 06:56 PM
My fuel trims settled out and they look good so I finally got to do my first WOT pull on E85....and it was good. :) My current tune peaks my boost at 25psi and it rolls off relatively quickly after that and I wasn't sure where I was gonna see the biggest injector demand. It turns out it was at the end. My injector duty cycle hit 94% at 7000 RPM and my AFR never got richer than 11.6. It's my understanding that the injectors are capable of 120%.

There is still some tuning to do to get the most out of it but so far I'm thinking it's relatively safe on stock injectors and pump. And it pulls nicely! :)

zeRep85
06-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Bump bump for interest!

CHSIsupplier
06-12-2011, 04:27 PM
So I'm pretty much done with the E85 tweaking and tuning. I did a few last pulls today and everything looks good. I still need to rip out the back seat and replace the stock fuel filter (hopefully next weekend) but it looks like I won't be needing to replace the stock fuel pump.

Here's the bottom line as I see it...if this were a track car, I would most likely just replace the injectors and pump for peace of mind....but as a daily driver I can't find any reason to waste the money. For regular driving my stock injectors never get to more than 15% duty cycle and even at WOT I never see more than 96% duty cycle at red line. Keep in mind that the max is 120%. The car runs better, sounds insanely better, and pulls harder. For my driving style (which is pretty subdued most of the time), the stock parts are more than strong enough to handle E85.

I'll be anxious to hear if any of you try this and have similar results.

caRalliArt
06-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I would like to run e85.Is it better for the internals over time.

CHSIsupplier
06-12-2011, 05:02 PM
I would like to run e85.Is it better for the internals over time.

I can't answer that. I think the fuel itself is cleaner so I would think that would mean fewer carbon deposits. But since this is my first experiment with E85, hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

CHSIsupplier
06-26-2011, 05:00 PM
I finally got around to changing out my stock fuel filter today. My car has 5200 miles on it and I've only gone through 2 1/2 tanks of E85. This is what the stock filter looked like.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/CHSIsupplier/New%20Ralliart/Fuel%20Filter/IMAG0394.jpg

It doesn't do well with E85 :)

razorlab
06-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Yea you want to use the Evo 8/9 style non-cotton fuel sock. Which comes with the BlaqOps kits.