PDA

View Full Version : What size door speakers do we have?

Ralli
05-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah....title pretty much asked it all, lol.

Jackal
05-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Well I didn't realize Google was broken LOL ! But anyway would nice to know why your asking. Here is some info: We have an odd size and if you really want good sound quality you need to replace the junk 15 Watt max toy speakers.

Go with after market name brand units and you are going to want to go with 6 1/2 inch and depending on the depth of said speaker you may need to install a spacer ring so the speaker won't stick in too far and interfere with your power window glass and mechanism.

There is space to mount a cross over directly above the speaker on the front doors assuming you are going with componts for proper front staging. Also due to the very thin sheet metal you might want to dymat the opening at the same time due to vibration issues that come with larger, more powerful speakers.

If you have to enlarge the opening it will be a cake walk as the sheet metal is so thin, but be careful as it will also be deadly sharp because of this. At the very least tape the edges after cutting both to protect your fingers,wiring and minimize vibration.

Ralli
05-21-2011, 11:31 PM
I did'nt realize google was broken either. I suppose that was suppose to be a joke of some sort:confused: Anyway I thought that's what forums were for, to find answers to your questions. Im quite aware our stock speakers are junk that is the reason for the question. Ive only owned my car for less then 6 months and 2 are blown. If they really are only 15 watt speakers (hard to take you completely serious now) then I see why. Even with the weakass head unit those are'nt going to last.

Thats the plan I just did'nt know the size so I could start shopping. 6.5 f & r? Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Dynamat is always a must, though Im not completely sure Im doing the install or sitting this one out. It depends how complex I end up going I suppose. This is my primary driver so if a good shop can knock it out significantly quicker then I then they may just end up with the job. I think I may do the door speakers and let a shop deal with the head unit since the one I want has a built in back up cam and interface to work with the steering wheel controls, neither of which Ive ever messed with. And if I decide to get fancy with an amp or two and sub or two that may be there's as well. Finding a shop I find adequate around here is proving difficult though.

Thanks that's a good tip for saftey and longevity of the wiring.

Since asking my original question I found a post of yours with a link to your mods Ive been checking that out too. Its been relatively helpful as well even though my car is a Sportback.