PDA

View Full Version : Buying a boost gauge, need help

LouisianaRA
05-26-2011, 07:37 PM
i think i might purchase a boost gauge for my completely stock RA, so i have a few questions: 1. should i even get one since im not going to really be tuning, but i do want to know what my turbo is doing? 2. im looking to spend about 100, or less on a digital, any suggestions? anyone ever heard of glow shift? 3. should i go ahead and get the oil pressure and fuel ratio too?

any input is very appreciated, THANKS!

Exyia
05-26-2011, 07:44 PM
if you don't plan on tuning, I wouldn't bother. they really are just gimmicks. the only really important gauge is the wideband, but with no intentions to tune, that is pretty useless as well. every other gauge is just a dressup on a non-tracked car

RalliArtist
05-26-2011, 07:59 PM
I have a mechanical glow shift boost gauge. The gauge itself was pretty cheap and the install was really easy. I'm pretty stock (engine wise) but it doesn't hurt to know what the turbo is doing at all times.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/218150_1651313608866_1417789302_31316347_7420491_n .jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/217403_1653267657716_1417789302_31318651_1310864_n .jpg

caRalliArt
05-26-2011, 08:47 PM
its nice to have the boost gauge for peace of mind.knowing that your boosting in a safe range and not spiking too high.As far as glowshift goes....Ive had them on several different turbo cars and i think they are ok.For what your looking to do they will do just fine.Like every part.you get what you pay for and glowshift works but isnt the best gauge you could get.Personally i like the Innovative motorsports gauges.Ive had their wide band and their boost gauge.They cost more but look much better and in my opinion are more reliable

LouisianaRA
05-26-2011, 10:14 PM
thanks a lot. I've just started looking into them so im still not sure how much im willing to spend, i like the idea of glow shift tho. And i know its not needed on my stock car but it is nice to know.

Exyia
05-26-2011, 11:04 PM
thanks a lot. I've just started looking into them so im still not sure how much im willing to spend, i like the idea of glow shift tho. And i know its not needed on my stock car but it is nice to know.

I have both AEM digital boost and AFR. Honestly, I hardly look at them, and if I do, I look at my AFR. I hardly ever look at my boost. I thought it would be cool to have them, but I'm not 100% satisfied that it was worth it. It sort of feels like a gimmick, and I feel it would be even more so on a stock car imo

I know what psi I'm tuned for, I can always log or have my tuner check the tune periodically to make sure it's all good, so I don't really need the boost gauge. I know what it's going to read. And I think having only one gauge looks kind of tacky...almost ricey. AFR is the most important gauge, and having any gauge before that just seems like a gimmicky toy.

disclaimer: just my 2cents. I'm a VERY picky person :o

Mkid
05-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I have prosport gauges.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229942_157151164347529_154464214616224_354807_7436 200_n.jpg

I thought they looked a little nicer/cleaner then the glowshift ones and they are still inexpensive.

LouisianaRA
05-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Exyia: i know exactly what you mean by looking ricey, which is what im afraid of. And being my car is stock i know i dont really need one, it'd be nice to just know where im at.

mkid: are you on a stock tune/turbo? if so was it worth the money to buy the gauges? and yea that looks clean but i think i want digital and glow shift makes digital ones for like $67

SudzRA
05-30-2011, 12:27 PM
The Glowshift boost/vac gauge will do the trick if you just want an idea of what your turbo is doing. It might not be the best gauge on the market, but it will tell you if your boost is spiking, which is the most important thing.

My only suggestion here would be if you do go ahead with multiple gauges and decide to get a wideband, it would be a good idea to get one that's compatible with Evoscan. This way, if you ever decide to do some tweaking, you can use the wideband for a/f logging without any problems. However, I don't believe you can use a Glowshift wideband gauge with Evoscan, so you'll need to look into another company. This fact alone would keep me from buying a Glowshift boost gauge, because I'm picky in that I like all my gauges to look the same, preferably from the same company and in the same series.

Mkid
06-01-2011, 02:24 PM
mkid: are you on a stock tune/turbo? if so was it worth the money to buy the gauges? and yea that looks clean but i think i want digital and glow shift makes digital ones for like $67

Yup, stock turbo and tune. I'd say it was worth the money, the pillar pod was a bit of a rip-off, but definitely not the gauges. I like to see what I'm boosting and it also helps you to find out if you have a leak.

Cesarn2928
06-03-2011, 07:14 AM
whats ur vacuum on idle?! for the RA!?!

im still with this issue lol... i get -10 on idle....