PDA

View Full Version : Track Brake Pad Recommendations

TrailBrake
05-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi All,

I took my RA out to the track for the first time yesterday, and was happy with my overall setup, aside from the brakes. There was sever fade toward the end of each session.

Here is my brake setup:

Rotors - Front: Brembo
Rotors - Rear: OEM

Fluid: ATE Gold TYP 200 (Dot 4)

Pads - Front: Hawk HP Plus
http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hpplus.php

Pads - Rear: RRM Time Attack:
http://roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_54_56&products_id=712

Any ideas on a better pad setup? I don't mind higher rotor wear or having to switching out the pads before and after track days. I won't be going with SS lines or slotted rotors, only because of possible flack when I have to go to the dealer.

In my previous car, I used Pagid black pads for the track and the worked really well. Unfortunately I don't believe they make the right size for the Ralliart.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

NFSLancerRA
05-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I can fix your fade problems...

I love Hawk HPS pads, by the way. I have two different sets of those, now, for the Ralliart. I couldn't be happier with them.

TrailBrake
05-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I had HPS pads on the front before the HP Plus, and found them to have less bite.

NFSLancerRA
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
I had HPS pads on the front before the HP Plus, and found them to have less bite.

I don't have that problem. Although, my pads are MUCH larger than yours.

TrailBrake
05-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, as I'm not into changing the size of the rotors or calipers, I don't see how that is a solution for my issue.

razorlab
05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't have that problem. Although, my pads are MUCH larger than yours.

The Hawk HPS and HP plus suck on the Evo for track usage so it's not a pad size issue, it's a compound issue.

For the street, whatever works. ;)

MikeW-RRE
05-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Any company that makes brake pads will have front pads available for the RalliArt. The 530 pad is super common and been around since the early 90s.

If I wasnt skered of rotor wear I would use the Porterfield R4-E compound. They stop like nothing else but will metal spray the wheels and eat right through the rotors if you drive them cold in normal driving.

The RRM "Time Attack" pad is nothing special. Maybe time attack for a 100 hp Prancer. There really isnt anything cool available for the rear of the RalliArt yet. Centric Posi-Quiet is the only rear aftermarket pad available that I know of.

Mike W

NFSLancerRA
05-31-2011, 09:29 PM
The Hawk HPS and HP plus suck on the Evo for track usage so it's not a pad size issue, it's a compound issue.

For the street, whatever works. ;)

You got me there. I haven't taken my car to the track yet. I love the HPS pads on the street. They don't kick dust around or eat my rotors like HP Plus pads do.

The size of the pad should make a big different, though.

TrailBrake
06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
I did some searching, and EBC YellowStuff appears to come in matching front and rear sizes for the Ralliart. My track sessions aren't long (usually in the 10-15 minute range), so they might be good enough do the trick.

As well, someone in another forum mentioned that Pagid Blue pads are available for the RA. Can't seem to find a distributor in North America with them though.

I ran Pagid Blacks when I used to track my Porsche 928 S4 and while they aren't cheap, they worked very well.

MikeW-RRE
06-01-2011, 11:49 AM
EBC needs to put less money into the marketing and more money and testing into the friction material.

Mike W

TrailBrake
06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Not exactly a glowing recommendation there eh ;)

Are there any on-line Pagid distributors with Mitsu sizes? The ones I know of only stock for German cars.

MTZL
06-01-2011, 12:35 PM
EBC needs to put less money into the marketing and more money and testing into the friction material.

Mike W

Pm sent. Please advise.

Jackal
06-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Ok well I don't think the question has been answered yet. I am tracking my car almost every weekend now and I am really chewing up pads and grinding rotors down. I am in the Solo Sprint Racing and we have a warm up lap 3 balls to the wall laps then a cool down lap. My first race which was the first qualifying round I finished first and not knowing about the cool down lap yet I pulled directly into the pits after getting the checkered flag. Unfortunately smoke began streaming out of my front wheel wells as the brakes were almost glowing to say the least.

I need someone to tell me a good brand and specific compound to try for a street/ track car like mine. We have covered the fact that Hawk and EBC may not be the best solution, so what other brands should I consider. I have 3 more Solo Sprint events to do and I am also trying some autocross and other rally events, basically high speed on dirt and gravel roads.

Any help would be appreciated. Until I have the money to properly upgrade the brakes next year I am just looking to keep the stock brakes from self destructing until then. So it's not a huge deal if a go through a couple sets of pads and another set of rotors.

TrailBrake
06-16-2011, 05:19 AM
For what it's worth, I have a set of EBC Yellowstuff pads on order, which I will be testing on the track in early July. Here are the part #s:

DP41407R Yellowstuff Street And Track Brake Pads; Rear;
DP4954R Yellowstuff Street And Track Brake Pads; Front;

My track days generally consist of several 15 minute sessions in a day, with 30-45 minutes between them.

I'm running out of options as well in terms of track pads in the stock sizes. From another forum I have some info on Pagid blue pads, but I haven't been able to verify their availability in North America.