PDA

View Full Version : Gauge pillar?

pbassist12
06-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Okay so im just trying to get the record straight, but if you get a pillar gauge on the ralliart, does that cover up the airbag or no? Some people say the gauges will explode in your face when you crash and others say that it wont. Anyone care to share what they know or have learned?

Tommy Di Cat
06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
No it shouldn't the front and rear have plastic hooks on them to catch it a Pull one back and you'll see it doesn't come off without lots of help. The curtains are also designed to shoot down not out. Only thing would be the overlay gauge pods might fall off not shoot off.

total0wnage
06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
from personal experience i know that the pillars do not shoot out, they sort of fall down.

Exyia
06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
from personal experience i know that the pillars do not shoot out, they sort of fall down.

yep

you can pull the plastic A-Pillar down/off with your hands. when the airbag pops out, it will blow that thing down and out of the way. and the mount itself is weak enough to pop out of the way when it happens

some of the makers claim they're "designed" to be airbag safe, but I doubt they actually crash tested cars for their silly gauge pods haha

but the A-pillars get pushed out and away by design of the airbag

Mkid
06-08-2011, 09:21 AM
I always thought if your in that big of an accident, getting hit in the face with a tiny gauge will be the least of your concerns.

Midlifetoy
06-08-2011, 11:12 AM
^ +1 agreed...

kenpora
07-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Just following up, anyone install the A-pillar pod? I think it's the best lookin spot to not block the gauges.

RG-RA
07-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Just following up, anyone install the A-pillar pod? I think it's the best lookin spot to not block the gauges.

wish i had pics of mine but havent gotten my car back yet. but im installing mine under the ac controls in the open space there i think that looks really good and keeps it kinda sleeper too

BravoZero
07-27-2011, 08:48 AM
wish i had pics of mine but havent gotten my car back yet. but im installing mine under the ac controls in the open space there i think that looks really good and keeps it kinda sleeper too

Wish I could do that, but the 2010 and 2011 models have the JDM console with the two cubbies.

Exyia
07-27-2011, 10:44 AM

helped street tune an Evo X with the boost/AFR gauge down there (GSR, so no cubbies removed) and honestly, it looked like crap

and it didn't help having to look down there when doing pulls when you're tuning a G37R turbo on the street - 40mph, WOT, look down at AFR, look up, OHSHIT 140mph :cool:

I prefer the steering column over anything else. Boost and AFR are constantly active gauges that correspond well with RPM/Speed - makes complete sense to put ALL your information in the same place. why wander your eyes around?

RalliMark
07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I always thought if your in that big of an accident, getting hit in the face with a tiny gauge will be the least of your concerns.

I dont know that gauge would be travelling pretty damn fast I bet if it hit u in the fast at the same speed of an airbag ud have broken bones in your face.

kenpora
07-28-2011, 07:51 AM
I agree with not having your eyes wander, I just don't like the idea of blocking the gauges.

When you get your car back I would like to see that set up with the gauges under the A/C unit.

I need to purchase a X fmic first but after that I was think gauges. Just trying to plan ahead.

helped street tune an Evo X with the boost/AFR gauge down there (GSR, so no cubbies removed) and honestly, it looked like crap

and it didn't help having to look down there when doing pulls when you're tuning a G37R turbo on the street - 40mph, WOT, look down at AFR, look up, OHSHIT 140mph :cool:

I prefer the steering column over anything else. Boost and AFR are constantly active gauges that correspond well with RPM/Speed - makes complete sense to put ALL your information in the same place. why wander your eyes around?

HokieRalliart
07-28-2011, 08:25 AM
^ +1... I have a Grand National and the in dash boost gauge went so I put a dial gauge on the steering column and it is perfect. If you are a serious boost control driver and use the higher revs and TC-SST to your advantage to build up boost then closer to your line of sight is best. But if you have an 09 and want to be discrete the aux cubby is a nice spot.

Exyia
07-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I agree with not having your eyes wander, I just don't like the idea of blocking the gauges.

When you get your car back I would like to see that set up with the gauges under the A/C unit.

I need to purchase a X fmic first but after that I was think gauges. Just trying to plan ahead.

it really doesn't block that much. the idea is to get the gauges to sit in the "dead space" at the stem of the needles

if anything it's pretty cool, because now as my boost needle rises, behind it, there's an accompanying RPM needle arcing over as well. helps enhance the cockpit feel Mitsu was going for on the gauges/interior imo

kenpora
07-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Can you post pics of your set up?

BravoZero
07-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Can you post pics of your set up?

+1, I'd like to see it as well. Is it drilled or attached another way to the steering column?

Exyia
07-29-2011, 03:09 PM
I'll post vid on the way home (will be off my iphone camera sorry in advance lol)

the gauge pod (I use Perrin) is drilled into the steering column. it's not that bad or hard to do, and honestly, I doubt getting a new one from the parts department costs that much :rolleyes:

I think using tape to avoid drilling is a ghetto way to mount such critical gauges just to avoid "wah wah, I don't want to drill holes in my shiny car".

and i used the Perrin pod instead of drilling seperate pods because I'd get too paranoid if they're equivalent distance from the center

BravoZero
07-29-2011, 03:29 PM
and i used the Perrin pod instead of drilling seperate pods because I'd get too paranoid if they're equivalent distance from the center

Oh you have that kind of OCD too? haha

I'm VERY picky about things being even and equal, so I don't blame you :p

kenpora
07-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Haha that would bug the heck out of me too having to look at it messed up everyday. I have an iPhone4 it takes nice HD video as long as it is bright enough should turn out nice.

Has anyone started a thread already about posting pics of your guage pod install?

Exyia
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Oh you have that kind of OCD too? haha

I'm VERY picky about things being even and equal, so I don't blame you :p

dude...I have to refill my windshield washer fluid every month because I use it anytime I get a single spec on my windshield

lol :p

BravoZero
07-29-2011, 04:17 PM
dude...I have to refill my windshield washer fluid every month because I use it anytime I get a single spec on my windshield

lol :p

Haha, you win, I'm not THAT bad.

kenpora
07-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Any luck on that video? I would like to see a video or more pics of that a pillar gauge pod set up.

Exyia
08-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Any luck on that video? I would like to see a video or more pics of that a pillar gauge pod set up.

sorry about not posting a vid. they all turned out like crap because I don't want to get in a wreck lol. all my driving has been in heavy traffic lately

and I'm messing with my gauge pod right now. The Perrin one cracked on me and I re-adjusted it to get it centered, but it still looks off. I might just eat my own words and use separate pods for both. not 100% happy with this Perrin one, and it's too expensive for me to want to replace

here's the best vid I had - hopefully you can get the idea of the steering column mount

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/XG08Zero/?action=view&current=ddbc711f.mp4