PDA

View Full Version : Ralliart Starting the engine

MTZL
06-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Does anybody else hear clicking clacking when you start your engine?
When I start my engine every time since I bought it does this
Turn the engine, engine turn over than make noises
click-clack-click-clock-click-click.

Anybody else?

MacGyverGT
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
That is the car checking that the ASC / ABS system is working properly (it indicates that in the owners manual)

MTZL
06-11-2009, 08:50 AM
(it indicates that in the owners manual)

Thanks MacGyverGT, I guess I'll have to read it again.

I was just wondering if anybody got a RA that doesnt make the noise.

07outty
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Does anybody else hear clicking clacking when you start your engine?
When I start my engine every time since I bought it does this
Turn the engine, engine turn over than make noises
click-clack-click-clock-click-click.

Anybody else?

the first set of "clicking" right after you turn on the key ( before car starts )

is the fuel pump / injectors.

...the second set of "clicking / cracking" you hear (after you start moving )

is the ABS system.

MikeW-RRE
06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
What I hear right after the start up is the tranny cycling the gears to check if everything is ready to rock.

Mike W

MTZL
06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Right on, Thanks Mike W from Road Race Engineering!
I dont have to worry about the noise?
Im ready to Rock!

What about the warming up the Engine and Turbo waiting til Thermometer gauge comes on? Is that really necessary?
-My first turbo engine car.

HiggsRA
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM
mine does that sometimes as well says in manual... however today it was so weird i started and it shut off like 3 secs later... so weird!

MTZL
06-12-2009, 11:30 AM
mine does that sometimes as well says in manual... however today it was so weird i started and it shut off like 3 secs later... so weird!

You turn it on and it shut off 3 secs later?
I had similar issue a while back...
I thought I didnt turn the knob and hold it long enough but it wasnt 3 secs later.

It started as I turned and shut off when I let go.
I turned it all the way off and turn it again and no more problem since.

I thought the same thing at the time. I hope it doesnt happen again.
or its going back to the dealer for repair.

07outty
06-12-2009, 02:32 PM
What I hear right after the start up is the tranny cycling the gears to check if everything is ready to rock.

Mike W

.........yep .you're right.

so we have 3 "sets" of noises the RA emits that we know the causes of.

AVENGER
06-12-2009, 08:13 PM
The noises you guys are hearing, are completely normal on start up. The OBC does a check of the drive train.

The delay on shut down is also normal.. Since the trans is partly a manual, the clutches need to retract upon shut down..
Did you ever see what happens when you try to start a car with a manual trans while it's in gear.. Same concept,, except,,, the trans in the RA is also part auto... So the startup with the clutches engaged would just make the car very difficult to start, rather than driving through your garage wall:eek: and into the living room.
But it would be ONE HELL OF AN ENTRANCE!!

HiggsRA
06-13-2009, 02:30 AM
You turn it on and it shut off 3 secs later?
I had similar issue a while back...
I thought I didnt turn the knob and hold it long enough but it wasnt 3 secs later.

It started as I turned and shut off when I let go.
I turned it all the way off and turn it again and no more problem since.

I thought the same thing at the time. I hope it doesnt happen again.
or its going back to the dealer for repair.

i did that once too where i didn't let it turn all the way over but legit couple days ago i fired up my RA and then hopped out to run back in my house (forgot something on way to work) and no joke it cut off a solid like 3-4 sec's after... idk im sure it won't happen again :fingers crossed: could be because i just put synthetic oil in with maybe 1-2 starts with it maybe not accustomed yet idk i got nothing! running great regardless :\

MTZL
06-13-2009, 09:59 PM
i did that once too where i didn't let it turn all the way over but legit couple days ago i fired up my RA and then hopped out to run back in my house (forgot something on way to work) and no joke it cut off a solid like 3-4 sec's after... idk im sure it won't happen again :fingers crossed: could be because i just put synthetic oil in with maybe 1-2 starts with it maybe not accustomed yet idk i got nothing! running great regardless :\

I havent had start problem since. :fingers crossed: I dont think it has to do with the oil.
Maybe keyless is the issue..

3,855 MILES TO DATE JUST wash my car, Oil Changed Full Syn, Tires rotated
feel faster than 1st day out of the lot.

Good inputs yal. At least this is a known issue, logged and record here at ClubRalliart.com

jscout21
05-05-2010, 03:01 PM
My 09 RA started to do it after I turned it off. I took the word of others on the forum about it being ABS etc... Well until one day when I got a service engine soon light and my tail-lights were on and the switch was off. I took it to the dealer and its a electrical problem with MFI Relays and some others relays. Its in the shop now and Im driving a effin kia rio...lol. I advise you all to take it in and have it checked out. The technician found a note in there service computers about condensation being built up in the relays and such. I STRONGLY advise you to take this info and get it checked out.