PDA

View Full Version : Can you turn your steering wheel while at a standstill?

Jackal
07-14-2011, 10:44 PM
I accidently damaged my 2 curbside Evo X rims while trying to parallel park. It seems like I have absolutely no power steering unless the car is moving at least 5 km/hr. I have damaged cartiledge in my elbow and have thrown out my shoulder a couple times now when I have to do any manouver from a standstill or barely moving.

I am a pretty big guy about 6 ft 1" and about 265 lbs and to have people laugh at me at car shows when I have to basically sit right on top of the steering wheel crankling it like my life depended on it to back into my spot for the car show is embarrassing. I had an old guy tell me gee I thought all new cars nowadays came with power steering. I mentioned it over a year ago to the dealership and I was told that was normal because it's an AWD car.

This can't be normal, If you sit in your car with it running and in neutral or park and simply try turning the wheel can you do it with one arm or do you have to wrestle it with a death grip with 2 arms like I have to?

2010ralliartDM
07-14-2011, 11:01 PM
haha well maybe my cars special but its just as easy to turn my wheel not moving as it is while moving !

MTZL
07-15-2011, 01:55 AM
I have the same as you Jack, minus the injuries.
My previous car didnt have PS it was taken out to clear the hood because bigger motor in the engine bay. I had plenty of no PS experience.

I dont fight the steering wheel, I shuffle.
Right hand doesnt pass 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock
Left hand doesnt cross over to right side of the wheels & doesnt pass 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock. I find it easier to track wheel angle relative to steering wheel position.

Turning right: (sorry earlier I had auto pilot moment had my left & right wrong)
RIGHT hand pull from 12 to 6 is half turn on the wheel,
LEFT hand from 6 to 12 complete the full rotation
if I need full lock to the right, right hand will repeat 12 to 6.

Arms & elbow to my side relaxed.
I sit closer now, in the beginning I felt cramped but now its more natural.

I dont know the extent of your injuries so let me know how that work out for you.

TrailBrake
07-15-2011, 05:19 AM
+1 on the hand shuffle and not ever crossing hands when turning the wheel.

I take it there are no mechanical issues with your power steering (rack, pump, etc), so that's not a factor.

Maybe some of it is what you are used to from other cars. For 12 years I had a Porsche 928 S4 and it was VERY difficult to park. Poor visability, virtually no power steering assist at low speeds and a steering ratio that only felt right when going over 100kph. It was like parking a school bus. When I first got that car, kids in their little Honda Civics had a chuckle as I would struggle to shoe-horn the thing into a parking spot. Then I got used to man-handling the car when required.

The Ralliart's steering is a joy in comparison. Nicely weighted, and not too much power assist.

Seating position helps as well. I use a track driving position all the time, not just for lapping. It takes some getting used to, but makes wheel control much easier.

http://www.drivingfast.net/track/driving-position.htm

RG-RA
07-15-2011, 09:00 AM
I agree shuffle steer is an awesome thing picked it up from a police tactical driving course but I have to say I've never had to use it while sitting still in my RA. That sounds like some kind of ps damage to me if your fighting just to turn. Actually sounds exactly like something I had happen to me in our uparmored hummvee and it was some kind of power steering issue. And it certainly wasn't anything shuffle steer could help lol. But anyway to put a simple answer to your question....no its not right or ok and yes I can move my wheels/steering wheel 100% both directions no problem and im only 5'10 155 lbs

MTZL
07-15-2011, 09:07 AM
^ I agree PS could be the issue. Since Jack underpanel is missing he could've hit PS line or something. Should check for pinch or leak.

or

it could be the injuries that limit his arm & elbow mobility?

total0wnage
07-15-2011, 09:07 AM
i have no problem, then again i sit in a nearly straight racing position and im fairly strong lol.

GAbOS
07-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Mine moves with ease sitting still.

Jackal
07-15-2011, 04:14 PM
No maybe I did not explain it properly. The car has been like this since new.

I have driven several older cars years back that were manual steering and used to drive the old 50's and 60's tractors to cut grass in ditches and along highways, I know what manual steering feels like. If my car is not moving at least 5 km/hr I have to physically fight using both arms to turn the wheel. The faster I go the easier it gets but slow parking lot manouvers are really starting to stress my wrists, elbows and now my shoulders. Having to take anti inflamatories and ice my joints because I had to park at Wal Mart is not exactly funny.

MTZL
07-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Check your PS fluid level. I have never done PS pump pressure check but
here (http://www.ehow.com/how_5127533_check-power-steering-pump.html). I think something is wrong with your PS system.

For your wrists, elbow, & shoulder I would get some ancient chinese secret ointment. I used to use it after kicking my own ass. :D

I think it is called White lotus oil for joint pain.
the other one I used to use was tiger balm.
Dislocated my shoulder when I was a kid fell from second story.

GAbOS
07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Seating position adjustment maybe?

TrailBrake
07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
This does sound like a power steering issue, as the pump should still work at low speeds. In park with the engine running, I see a slight drop in rpms when I move the steering round a bit and I can feel the pump kick in.

I don't recall seeing it in the owner's manual, but I change the power steering fluid every 2 years on all my cars. I did it right after buying the RA used, and knock on wood, no issues.

For joint issues, I've had good results with glucosamine with msm. I'm popping that stuff like candy ;)

BlackRA
07-16-2011, 06:30 AM
"I mentioned it over a year ago to the dealership and I was told that was normal because it's an AWD car. " The dealer is full of shit. You should be able to easily turn your steering wheel while parked. This is my 3rd AWD car and have never had any issue with power steering on any of the cars.

RG-RA
07-16-2011, 06:52 AM
yep i dont trust the dealership for much anymore for example. i asked how much spark plugs were for an evo x to put in my car and was quoted at 44 per plug! haha i just laughed and looked online for them stupid ass dealerships these days! what happened to knowing about the cars your selling?

MTZL
07-16-2011, 08:07 AM
it is an epidemic most dealerships are full of people that doesnt know much about cars. After all they got sales people from door to door sales. :)

Jack, Check your PS fluids & PS pump.

Jackal
07-17-2011, 06:29 PM
No offense guys but I started out as a mechanic and of course the fliud level was the first thing I checked and I have never had to add fluid to it the whole 2.2 yrs I have owned the car. I am making a list of things to have them check out when it goes in for service next month. But thanks all the same.

MTZL
07-17-2011, 11:31 PM
No offense taken, Jack.
I hope you do better with your injuries.
Keep us posted.

I will see if I can dig up some more trouble shooting on power steering parts.

Jackal
08-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Update Pump is shot and they are replacing under warranty.

RG-RA
08-25-2011, 12:06 AM
yay someone working with us for once! congrats

Ralli
08-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Something is definately f'd. Yes you can definately turn the wheel while not moving. I do it daily because Im OCD and I have to have my wheels perfectly straight when parked, lol.

Edit, missed your update, glad to hear they're comping to it and covering it.

Jackal
08-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I have to apoligize for being so rude and snappy lately. When it finally sunk in that I may have died because of this as I have literally had to man handle the car when racing on the track at high speeds and sometimes in heavy rain it made me very mad as this has been the best part of my life seeing all my kids Graduationg from High School start getting part time jobs and planning out their secondary education has made me feel proud and Happy for the first time in a long time. It would of been a bitch to my family losing me or having me crippled for life in a car crash caused by faulty equipment they failed to aknowledge.

Knowing that I had brought the car to the Dealership twice in regards to this and having them tell me I don't know what I am talking about, that it is normal for an AWD car and then the second time them conveniently forgetting to check smiling and telling me don't worry we will look at it next time. Like WTF!

I am just glad no one got hurt because of this and I am looking forward to having power steering for the first time in almost 2 1/2 years. I may just be inspired to try out a 4th kind of racing; Autocross next year since I should be able to turn the wheel a bit faster now. Thanks for the support I Luv you guys!

Ralli
08-28-2011, 05:37 PM
I for one know how much dealerships put you through before they fix even the smallest issue and know how stressfull that can be, I dont see any need for you to appologize. Classy nonetheless.

MTZL
08-28-2011, 06:16 PM
I have to apoligize for being so rude and snappy lately. When it finally sunk in that I may have died because of this as I have literally had to man handle the car when racing on the track at high speeds and sometimes in heavy rain it made me very mad as this has been the best part of my life seeing all my kids Graduationg from High School start getting part time jobs and planning out their secondary education has made me feel proud and Happy for the first time in a long time. It would of been a bitch to my family losing me or having me crippled for life in a car crash caused by faulty equipment they failed to aknowledge.

Knowing that I had brought the car to the Dealership twice in regards to this and having them tell me I don't know what I am talking about, that it is normal for an AWD car and then the second time them conveniently forgetting to check smiling and telling me don't worry we will look at it next time. Like WTF!

I am just glad no one got hurt because of this and I am looking forward to having power steering for the first time in almost 2 1/2 years. I may just be inspired to try out a 4th kind of racing; Autocross next year since I should be able to turn the wheel a bit faster now. Thanks for the support I Luv you guys!

Reason why I help people. Im glad you got it worked out.
No need to apologize. I understrand where you're coming from & have been through it personally. Sometimes all it takes is understanding & compassion. This is something this world is lacking.
When I help others I often find solution(s) to my own problems (small or big).

I can feel the luv. :D

All I can say about autox is nothing like driving on the road.
Can get very technical. Some turns/curves doesnt exist on the road.
Which is one of the reason I enjoy it.
I dont compete with anyone but myself.
Analyze my ease & difficulties.
How can I drive this thing better next time around.. ;)