PDA

View Full Version : Setting up EvoScan for data logging and gauge display

BravoZero
08-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm going to be doing more data logging soon but for some reason I can't get EvoScan to work properly, maybe there's a step I'm missing. Since I now have a head unit with a 7 inch display, I want to be able to connect my netbook and have EvoScan display gauges on the screen. Anyone know how to set EvoScan up for both of these? I've tried the steps in the original post for the GST basemap thread on EvoM.

MTZL
08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
To get your netbook & 7" touch screen display to work you will need to get similar setup like wutangmo15 has. Carputer.

I found the wiring diagram he made.
http://clubralliart.com/showpost.php?p=9617&postcount=10

I will ask him to post info & options here with all the components needed.

BravoZero
08-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Well I want to be able to use the Kenwood unit I just installed, so a simple RCA video input would work for me, I don't need any sound to go with it. Using the touch screen is a huge bonus as well.

wutangmo15
08-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Well I want to be able to use the Kenwood unit I just installed, so a simple RCA video input would work for me, I don't need any sound to go with it. Using the touch screen is a huge bonus as well.

I highly doubt you'll be able to use the touch ability of the Kenwood with your netbook unless the Kenwood has a feature to allow the touch screen to be used with an external device. Last I checked, there weren't any head units that had that feature. Some people have tried to hack their units to allow them to do that.

Does your netbook have a way to display video using RCA? If not, you might need a USB video card that has RCA out.

As for the EvoScan, make sure the settings are correct. I don't remember off the top of my head so do some searching for the logging.

BravoZero
08-05-2011, 05:19 PM
I highly doubt you'll be able to use the touch ability of the Kenwood with your netbook unless the Kenwood has a feature to allow the touch screen to be used with an external device. Last I checked, there weren't any head units that had that feature. Some people have tried to hack their units to allow them to do that.

Does your netbook have a way to display video using RCA? If not, you might need a USB video card that has RCA out.

As for the EvoScan, make sure the settings are correct. I don't remember off the top of my head so do some searching for the logging.

The netbook has a VGA output, so I can buy a VGA-RCA adapter and take care of that part. I double checked all of my EvoScan settings and I'll test them when I get home tomorrow from vacation.

wutangmo15
08-05-2011, 08:27 PM
The netbook has a VGA output, so I can buy a VGA-RCA adapter and take care of that part.

Not all computers support VGA to RCA. Hopefully yours does or you may need to get that external video card.

Exyia
08-05-2011, 10:45 PM
well I'm not sure I understand what exactly isn't working? did you need a walkthrough to set it up or troubleshoot what you didn't do or did wrong?

BravoZero
08-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Not all computers support VGA to RCA. Hopefully yours does or you may need to get that external video card.

Hmm, I will have to check to see if my netbook can do that or not.

well I'm not sure I understand what exactly isn't working? did you need a walkthrough to set it up or troubleshoot what you didn't do or did wrong?

It could have been a setting or two that i forgot to check. I have it all configured per Bryans instructions so I will test it later.