PDA

View Full Version : Tune a new RA right away?

skills
08-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I'll be getting my RA soon, and I'm learning that I should get the car tuned, as the factory tune isn't quite perfect.

Should I do it on my own? I havent done much car tuning before.

Should I get it tuned? How much does that usually cost?

Anyone know a good tuner on the east coast?

Thanks!

BravoZero
08-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't get it done RIGHT away. Break the car in properly first, give it about 2k miles or so before you start modding it. If you're looking for something cost effective, look into the GST Basemap tunes available for the Ralliart and install a boost pill. The difference between the factory map and the GST maps with the boost pill is night and day, without any additional mods!

If you're wanting to take it to a shop and get it professionally tuned, I would save up for an EvoX IC and piping, metal BOV and a nice exhaust system, get them installed and get a tune.

RalliNurse
08-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't get it done RIGHT away. Break the car in properly first, give it about 2k miles or so before you start modding it. If you're looking for something cost effective, look into the GST Basemap tunes available for the Ralliart and install a boost pill. The difference between the factory map and the GST maps with the boost pill is night and day, without any additional mods!

If you're wanting to take it to a shop and get it professionally tuned, I would save up for an EvoX IC and piping, metal BOV and a nice exhaust system, get them installed and get a tune.

What he said...:D

If u r planning on modding cars...start buying parts in bits ad pieces...then do a installl + tune @ the same time...it's easier on the wallet this way..

skills
08-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the replies.

How about just a good old fashioned tune, no mods?

MikeW-RRE
08-14-2011, 12:11 PM
The GST Basemap _is_ a good old fashion tune with no mods. Get some break in miles on the car, do a base tune with no mods. Give the car some time to be sure you wont have any warranty issues. Make sure you have a well built car that is happy to be beat on. Then do some basic bolt on mods like a used EVO X FMIC and BOV. Some kind of higher flowing exhaust and a drop in panel filter. At that point, a custom tune will be a good value.

Mike W

skills
08-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Got it, thanks.

I should be picking the car up this week. Stoked!

AlphaKennyBody
08-17-2011, 07:08 PM
I started modding my RA at 30 Miles.... Reflashed by GST when it was at 250... My car is a champ no issues =)

razorlab
08-18-2011, 10:54 AM
My RA had a reflash on it the same day I drove it off the dealers lot. haha

TheBlackBeast
08-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I had RRE tune my car within less than 2 months of purchasing my RA. I'm almost at 50,000 miles now and running strong...

kenpora
08-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Use Bryan's GST flash and GST boost pill. That should keep you happy for a while.

ColdNapalm
08-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Tuning fixed my constant boost surge issue, running rich issue and power drops at high rpm issues. Other then I'm gonna have to go to LA if I need warranty work, I fail to see a down side :) .