PDA

View Full Version : Hks legamax vs magnaflow

Kev077
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Looking at these two exhausts for my ralliart. Like that the hks appears to be quiter but it is very exspensive for just the axle back where as the magnaflow is lot less for catback. Question is will the hks give me much performance gain or would it not even be worth it. I like magnaflow also as it seems not to loud and a nice deep growl. I have looked at tons of exhausts and really like these two. I know when tested the dc sports system gave a nice performance gain but really dont like the sound. Any info would be appreciated.

Also looked into the muffler mod rre does. Would it be better to do that or go with the hks all money aside. Thanks again. Kevin

MikeW-RRE
08-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I have the HKS on my RalliArt. It is more than enough for anything that the stock turbo will ever dream of flowing. It is ok on an X turbo. But once I went to the BBX Lite, I started feeling the restriction. I dropped out the rear section on pump gas and gained quite a bit. Also it is pretty quiet with a cat, but if you take the cat out it the noise goes up. I can see the heat marks on it where in the muffler it is restrictive. It costs me about 15 whp compared to a straight through muffler

I am currently running mostly E-85 on the BBX and the HKS exhaust easily flows enough air to get me arrested. It came with the car when I got it so it didnt cost me anything :-) I dont want to give up the quiet, I may chop off the phat tips though. Any "Japanese" cat back that is reasonably quiet _will_ be restrictive. Even if the muffler is a straight through design, they will have a resonator that necks down to 2" ID where you cant see it. That is how they roll.

If you will be sticking with the stock turbo, muffler choice makes very little difference. If an X turbo, then just about any aftermarket cat back will be fine. If Biggee turbo, make sure it is all 3" straight through, check with your own eyes, dont believe marketing or listed pipe diameters.

Mike W

Kev077
08-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Will be sticking with stock turbo for now. Maybe cat back or axle back, and prob just a cosworth filter. Eventually will either get ams stage 0 tune and intercooler and piping, or just go ahead an do the cbrd turbo upgrade, intercooler and piping. Want a conservative tune prob just keeping around evo x power levels for now. Maybe higher in the future with more mods. Dont drive car hard just wanting the extra power if I want it. Also want to keep the car reliable and not too stressed. Thanks tons.

TheBlackBeast
08-26-2011, 02:54 PM
... I dont want to give up the quiet, I may chop off the phat tips though...
Can I have your exhaust tips? :D

kenpora
08-28-2011, 06:39 AM
I have the HKS Legamax catback also. It looks great and sounds really good. It is deep but not loud. When it is in the garage running and i run back inside for something it sounds like deep bass coming from the garage. Inside the cabin if the car no drone at all. I have had HKS on my old S2000. Cant go wrong with it!

Mike I have never heard the HKS with a test pipe or high flow cat. Is there anyway you could post a sound clip of it?

kenshin1015
08-28-2011, 01:44 PM
i also have the hks and i love it