PDA

View Full Version : Ur sri

Cesarn2928
09-05-2011, 10:49 AM
what u guys think about the Ultimate Racing short ram Intake?!

Im planning on tunnin my car w/ the ur sri on ;) but not sure if its the best?

wanna hear opinions on that part.

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/xcart/home.php?cat=76

^^^^

BravoZero
09-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I'd stick with the stock airbox with a high flow filter. At least you'd be getting cooler air.

kenpora
09-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm happy with my K&N drop in. The BOV is pretty loud especially when you up the boost with GST tune.

CHSIsupplier
09-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I have UR SRI and I'm not necessarily sold on it. I do worry about heat soak, although I haven't had any problems with it myself. But the sound it makes when you step on the gas is unbeatable. :)

MikeW-RRE
09-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Talk to whoever will be tuning your car before getting that. If they are down to try to tune with it, go ahead. I prefer to not deal with tuning that intake when possible.

Mike W

TrailBrake
09-06-2011, 06:57 AM
There is no way that intake isn't sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

Cesarn2928
09-07-2011, 09:31 PM
what about the AMS Intake?... i can relocate my battery to the back n use that intake.. but the question is which one is the best?

Im tunning w/ AWD.

Exyia
09-07-2011, 10:21 PM
what about the AMS Intake?... i can relocate my battery to the back n use that intake.. but the question is which one is the best?

Im tunning w/ AWD.

if you're on stock turbo, just use the stock intake

AMS intake is WAY too big/overkill. and it wasn't really designed - it's just the Evo X intake with a reducer coupler to fit onto the tiny RA turbo. AMS intake was the worst purchase I made on the RA - was bought into the AMS hype back then :rolleyes:

Ralli
09-08-2011, 05:13 AM
No one is sold on the AEM yet? Seems like a decent comprimise between "too little" and 'too much" lol.

adog
09-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Just get an Injen CAI. You can make it into a SRI for the rainy season so you don't worry about hydrolocking your engine but it's far away enough to avoid most engine heat

Cesarn2928
09-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Just get an Injen CAI. You can make it into a SRI for the rainy season so you don't worry about hydrolocking your engine but it's far away enough to avoid most engine heat

thing is i have my scoop vents on the hood open... the middle one still got the rain cover under the hood + the heat shield..
but the two vents on the side of the hood are wide open... so im afraid of raining gettin there..
worst i live in FL... Rain all the time.

adog
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
thing is i have my scoop vents on the hood open... the middle one still got the rain cover under the hood + the heat shield..
but the two vents on the side of the hood are wide open... so im afraid of raining gettin there..
worst i live in FL... Rain all the time.

It's not close to the vents. I'll take pics later on

EricS09RA
09-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Go for the AEM intake

Cesarn2928
09-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Go for the AEM intake

I would use that one.. but idk if its on production + it kinda looks bad..

i was thinkin bout using my UR SRI... and just put like a couplet so it can go a little bit to the left ( kinda like behind the Battery..) then modify the OEM air duct so my UR SRI can get Cold air :D

would dat work?

wwralliart77
09-13-2011, 08:17 PM
AEM already has their intake for sale. Plus the best way to get cold air would be to get it directly from the cowl section of the vehicle; but that requires a lot of custom tweaking to make it work correctly. Best bet is to stick with the OEM air box until you have swapped turbos. The OEM air box will suffice with all the basic bolt ons you'll throw at the car.

Cesarn2928
09-13-2011, 08:37 PM
AEM already has their intake for sale. Plus the best way to get cold air would be to get it directly from the cowl section of the vehicle; but that requires a lot of custom tweaking to make it work correctly. Best bet is to stick with the OEM air box until you have swapped turbos. The OEM air box will suffice with all the basic bolt ons you'll throw at the car.

naw AEM is not on my list.. i checked it few mins ago.. but naw..
---

n wat umean by cowl bro?
u think wat i said with the UR SRI will work?

wwralliart77
09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
The cowl is the area between the hood and the front windshield; it's usually where the windshield wipers sit. Anyhow, the cowl receives the most air flow and is usually the "coolest" area on the vehicle; thus why I said that this is the best area to mount an intake. This is what I consider to be a true cold air intake.

The issue with the UR SRI is that is uses an enlarged MAF sensor housing that makes tuning a little more finicky and it tends to throw the AFR and boost levels off a little bit as well. Any intake that is mounted within the engine bay is taking in hot air. I mean the engine gets pretty hot under load and having the hood closed doesn't help. The intakes that have the filter sit inside the fender well are the worst. The decision is yours bro, so do what you like.

Here's what I meant by routing the intake to the cowl section of the car, basically mounted onto the firewall:
http://kevin108.com/files/images/forums/cherokee/snorkel10-.jpg

Cesarn2928
09-14-2011, 05:07 AM
i dont get u... is there any way u can take a pic of ur engine bay n circle where is the cowl part?

plz? thanks man..

wwralliart77
09-14-2011, 08:10 AM
The pic I posted isn't off of a RA or Evo X for that matter; it's just for reference. I haven't done this to my RA so I cannot give you an exact step by step on how to do this. I do know that you would have to mount another pipe to the back of the OEM air box that would also be connected to the firewall, which would allow for you to draw in air from the cowl section of the vehicle. You could also choose to do custom piping for a more conventional looking intake.

In order to mount the new pipe you would have to cut out a section on the back of the OEM air box and the firewall. The section on the firewall needs to be done with extreme precaution as you don't want to cut in too far, which may cause damage to other components behind the firewall; like electrical or a/c. I'll see if I can find a pic of this on a Evo X or RA so you can better understand.

wwralliart77
09-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Doesn't look like anyone has tried this on a RA or Evo X yet. I think it would be cool to be the first ones to try this idea out. Anyhow here's a pic I found of a Evo X engine bay. Imagine another pipe is attached to the intake you see in the pic. That other pipe would lead into the firewall section of the vehicle. The concept is pretty simple, it's just the visual part that's tricky. I would try to photoshop a rendering but my freaking MAC sucks, sry!
http://www.coolmodifiedcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/130_0902_24_z+2008_mitsubishi_lancer_evolutionx+ca rbon_fiber_cowl-300x195.jpg

MTZL
09-14-2011, 09:37 AM
The hood scoop is used to cool the turbo & heat shield by the firewall.
I would leave it alone, I dont think it is a good idea to take air used to cool turbo for intake, imo.

If I was to do CAI style, I would follow the fq400 design which take air from front of the bumper. Involves cutting the front bumper, might want to run a screen just in case. Maybe make plastic funnel out of aluminum.
(I know I really like aluminum) for better heat dissipation, prevent outside temp affecting inside funnel temp.

I dont like the CAI where it sit by the SST cooler. it would take air away from cooler. Vacuum will win, cooler will lose it effectiveness.

As far as SRI, it is not a good idea for our RA. especially if the SRI is sitting in the engine bay. Taking air from top of the hood/bonnet is pretty interesting idea though for SRI but involve modifying the hood/bonnet.

wwralliart77
09-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Wouldn't have to modify the hood for the idea I had. A lot of truck guys do this mod for offroading purposes. Anyhow, it just involves adding a new pipe and cutting a section of the firewall out.

zeRep85
09-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Wouldn't have to modify the hood for the idea I had. A lot of truck guys do this mod for offroading purposes. Anyhow, it just involves adding a new pipe and cutting a section of the firewall out.

DO IT!

zeRep

wwralliart77
09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
DO IT!

zeRep

^ I was looking around my engine bay this morning to get a better idea of how to go about doing this. It's kinda crammed near the air box, but it can be done. The main thing is cutting the actual firewall, which is gonna be the deciding factor for everyone. I'm still unsure if I want to do this or not. I'm going to see if I can figure another route of doing this without having to cut the firewall.

wwralliart77
09-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Doesn't look like there is another way of doing this mod without cutting something up. And just like most aftermarket intakes, this will not be street legal or carb exempt. The downside to the idea I had was that it's pretty much a permanent modification, since you'd be left with a hole if you were to remove it.