PDA

View Full Version : Hot spots on rotors

TheBlackBeast
09-05-2011, 02:31 PM
So, hen I took my rotors in this weekend to have them surfaced, the guy at pep boys said my rotors had hot spots on them (see photo attached). Claimed they wouldn't come out with a resurfacing and would come back. After resurfacing, they looked brand new. Does this really warrant new rotors? I'm always looking for an excuse to buy performance replacement parts but would like to suck as much life out of these rotors/pads as possible.

MikeW-RRE
09-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Those are fine and will be fine.

Mike W

TheBlackBeast
09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for confirming what I thought! Scammers! :D

NFSLancerRA
09-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Hot spots are pretty common. As Mike said, those are fine.

NFSLancerRA
09-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Thanks for confirming what I thought! Scammers! :D

The conventional wisdom is to replace rotors with Hot Spots with premium rotors. It isn't a bad idea, but those rotors will do what you want them to.

MikeW-RRE
09-06-2011, 11:38 AM
They are not hotspots so much as uneven pad material transfered to the rotors. Mismatch of driving style and pad compound causes it. Pepboys/mass retail brake installers recommend new stuff by default so it makes things go smoother in their life.

Mike W

TheBlackBeast
09-06-2011, 01:21 PM
The conventional wisdom is to replace rotors with Hot Spots with premium rotors. It isn't a bad idea, but those rotors will do what you want them to.
Yes they sure would perform better for my car, just not my budget...
They are not hotspots so much as uneven pad material transfered to the rotors. Mismatch of driving style and pad compound causes it. Pepboys/mass retail brake installers recommend new stuff by default so it makes things go smoother in their life.

Mike W
Mismatch in this case is the crappy mitsu pads/rotors. :D
Once I wear these pads out, its time for new rotors/pads.

2muchboost
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
My rotors have a few hot spots... :)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/superman83199/rotorglow.jpg

NFSLancerRA
09-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes they sure would perform better for my car, just not my budget...

I get that. And Mike is right about the pads most likely leaving deposits on the rotors. Either way, you will be fine.