PDA

View Full Version : Warranty question about brakes

dmitchell
09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey there,

Been a long time since I've been here.

Been searching online and I can't find the answer to my question. What is the warranty coverage for brakes on the RA? I only have 19k km on my car and the brakes are starting to squeak a bit.

I'm not excited about an expensive brake job at this point in the game (buying new tires next week).

Argh.

TurboAWD
09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Don't k ow about the warranty but break noise doesn't necessarily mean your breaks are bad. Could be just moisture on the rotors. Also doing your own breaks is super easy and very cheap especially if you just replace stock parts. Take off front tires remove calipers and the rotors. Take rotors to a machine shop to get turned... 20 bucks US then new pads are about 50 bucks US give or take depending on the type you want...

razorlab
09-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Don't k ow about the warranty but break noise doesn't necessarily mean your breaks are bad. Could be just moisture on the rotors. Also doing your own breaks is super easy and very cheap especially if you just replace stock parts. Take off front tires remove calipers and the rotors. Take rotors to a machine shop to get turned... 20 bucks US then new pads are about 50 bucks US give or take depending on the type you want...

BRAKES it's BRAKES.

If you throw a rock through a window, it's BREAKS.

TrailBrake
09-23-2011, 06:28 AM
In Canada, brake components should be covered under the 3 year (60,000km) factory new car warranty.

After that, your on your own.

TurboAWD
09-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Haha my bad on the wrong brake...break word I wrote that on my phone and hard to catch.. but you got me! Yes I meant brakes! Lol

TheBlackBeast
09-23-2011, 10:18 AM
BRAKES it's BRAKES.

If you throw a rock through a window, it's BREAKS.
If you throw a brake caliper through a window, it breaks too!
Hey there,

Been a long time since I've been here.

Been searching online and I can't find the answer to my question. What is the warranty coverage for brakes on the RA? I only have 19k km on my car and the brakes are starting to squeak a bit.

I'm not excited about an expensive brake job at this point in the game (buying new tires next week).

Argh.
Brakes are super ease. I did mine the other weekend. I removed the calipers and rotors and took the rotors to pep boys to get them turned - 14 bucks a rotor. You'll need a 17mm socket up front and a 13mm or 14mm socket for the rears. You may also need a small bolt to pop off the rotors - I needed to do that for the rears as a rubber mallet wouldn't take em off. There are 2 small holes you will see on the rotor that are pre-threaded. I can get you the size of the bolt needed later as I don't recall off the top of my head...

As far as warranty on brakes, unless there is a defect, in the caliper or part of the assembly, brake fluid, rotors and pads are considered "wear and tear" items and not covered under warranty.

TrailBrake
09-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I concur in terms of warranty on 'wear' items. That pretty much applies to all parts of the vehicle.

MTZL
09-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Warranty doesnt cover brakes.

Brake pads change is an inexpensive thing.

NFSLancerRA
09-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Somebody need new brakes?

dmitchell
10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Update: I took the car into the dealership and they took the brakes apart and cleaned them, squeeking gone on the front brakes.

About a day after the trip the to dealership my rear brakes starting making a funky sound... like a rhythmic creaking sound when braking. Back to the dealership I go on Tuesday.

Argh... this is starting to be a pain in the ass.

RalliUp
01-28-2012, 09:19 AM
So my light that I have something wrong with the break system came on today it looks like this (!)... I checked the fluid, and it's full. Has anyone ran into this situation?

BravoZero
01-28-2012, 10:16 AM
So my light that I have something wrong with the break system came on today it looks like this (!)... I checked the fluid, and it's full. Has anyone ran into this situation?

Did you check the owner's manual to find out why it would display that warning?

NFSLancerRA
01-28-2012, 03:17 PM
On some cars, the Emergency Brake switch will malfunction causing the system to read the brake as "engaged" even though the lever is all of the way down. I don't know if the Ralliart works this way or not.

You may just be due for new pads. Have you checked them recently?

BravoZero
01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Did it give an "ABS malfunction" warning? Could be that as well.

Could be many things, but any details you can give us will help.

RalliUp
01-29-2012, 09:11 PM
No the only light that came on was the exclamation mark. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealer. I still have a warranty but they suck so bad I rather drive with the light on, lol.

GAbOS
01-29-2012, 09:16 PM
book says; Emergency Brake, Brake Fluid, or Fault in the Brake System. The book notes a specific light for ABS. (ABS)

BravoZero
01-30-2012, 06:23 AM
No the only light that came on was the exclamation mark. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealer. I still have a warranty but they suck so bad I rather drive with the light on, lol.

Are you modded? If not, you have nothing to worry about. They'll fix it and be done with it.