PDA

View Full Version : License plate help

HokieRalliart
09-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Probably a well covered topic, but one of Virginia's finest just caught on the the fact that I am riding with no front plate:cool:. I was wondering if anybody had any good ideas that don't require drilling holes. I would hate to ruin the front bumper like that....thanks

Scarab23
09-29-2011, 09:37 AM
you can buy these plate holders that are an arm the goes into your front tow hook location with a bracket on the end of it you mount your license plate on.

they are called rho plates.

check them out:

http://www.rhoplate.com/

there is no mitsubishi specific model, thats because there is no screw in location in our front tow hook. you can buy any of their models and just bring it to an exhaust shop or something and they can tack it onto your crash beam in seconds.

xwxspawnxwx
09-29-2011, 09:39 AM
They also have retractable plate holders that go under your bumper. Only problem is that they are pricey.

Scarab23
09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
They also have retractable plate holders that go under your bumper. Only problem is that they are pricey.

and they are really unreliable and brake very easily. another downside is if you lower, they will scrape right off on a speed bump. my under tray scrapes on everything, speed bumps, driveways, and I'm only on springs. those retract things hang down even lower than the under tray.

xwxspawnxwx
09-29-2011, 09:53 AM
I would never get it :) Just giving him options what's out there. I'm happy with my Evo X side plate. It's not ideal but the more I thought about it.... I like it. Its a different look to it since it is on the side.

MTZL
09-29-2011, 11:35 AM
If you want something secure you may have to drill holes.

$3.00
http://www.cruiserframes.com/page.asp?id=2&catid=4&prodid=80

I got this because of the price (approx. $5 w/ tax). Not the prettiest but it does the job.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3927/licenseplate.jpg

I recall seeing someone making or made a bracket without drilling holes but dont know how secure that would be.

I've seen license plate bracket that tuck under the headlight but idk about that one since it will make the gap between the headlight & front bumper wider/bigger... Cool idea though.

Yeah, they need your 25$ to pay for their $500,000 china set in the white house. I have been a victim of no plate fix it ticket, lesson learned.
They will always make more laws to lessen our freedom.

Scarab23
09-29-2011, 12:14 PM
another option, which doesn't really fix the legality aspect but will prevent you from getting tickets on a day to day basis:

there are companies that will make your license plate into a vinyl sticker that you can just slap on your front bumper. if a cops coming down the street the other way he won't notice its a sticker, he'll subconsciously see it and won't even think twice. if you are parked though, and one sees it, you'll get the 25 dollar ticket haha.

MTZL
09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
^Vinyl License plate are illegal more so than no plate.

Vinyl Sticker/Tag if you make 'em/ buy 'em/stolen is a felony. (ok maybe not if you buy it but if you put it on your car & get caught with it on)
counterfeiting a license plate is a federal offense, instead of citation for no front plate you will be facing a felony. FYI.

TheBlackBeast
09-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Zip ties.
3M double sided tape.

2 more options...

Scarab23
09-29-2011, 03:21 PM
I've seen many people in canada with them. especially at car meets. there are about 3 vettes that I've seen with them. porches, gtr's

you name it

looks like canada is just full of felons :D

MTZL
09-30-2011, 11:49 AM
also Italian mob & biker gangs.

You wouldn't want to get involved in that unless you're ready to pay.
& all depends on the law & the enforcers. If the enforcer is wearing gloves & shades (beware)

xwxspawnxwx
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
3M Tape is probably your best bet. Strong and won't damage your car.

HokieRalliart
10-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks everybody, idk what to do...I might, for the time being just use 3m tape, but I dont want my plate flying off...we will see.

xwxspawnxwx
10-03-2011, 09:38 AM
3M tape is pretty strong as long as you put enough around your plate. Your also getting the force going straight at your car so if anything it will be pushing the plate towards the bumper. I don't see it flying off for you.

TaylorMade
11-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I would never get it :) Just giving him options what's out there. I'm happy with my Evo X side plate. It's not ideal but the more I thought about it.... I like it. Its a different look to it since it is on the side.

How did you get your side plate fixed to the car? Mines not lining up right, I didn't know if you had the same problem..?

xwxspawnxwx
11-03-2012, 08:08 AM
The top goes along with the bumper edges no problem. It's the bottom of it that's not a 100% fit (but that part you dont see unless you really look at it from below)