PDA

View Full Version : Best street / track tire on stock rims

TrailBrake
10-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Hi All,

Having exceeded the handling limits of the Pirelli PZero Nero all-season tires that came with my previously-enjoyed RA at the time of purchase, I am looking for something sticker for summer street and occasional track day use.

In the past I had a car with a separate set of R-compound tires for track days, but I'd like to avoid that with the RA. I realize this will mean a compromise in performance to have a mixed-use tire. Fortunately my mileage is low and I don't drive the RA every day, so a relatively low wear rating wouldn't be an issue.

Way back in the day, before I used R-compounds on my old car, the Yokohama AVS Sport was a great street/track day tire. Unfortunately it was discontinued years ago.

I have read good reviews for the Conti Extreme contact DW and Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Any thoughts on those or any other suitable rubber?

Thanks.

GAbOS
10-06-2011, 10:09 AM
The ContiContacts get great reviews and have a 340 wear rating.

The Kumho KumhoEcsta XS are much stickier and in the same price range but with a 180 wear rating.

TrailBrake
10-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the info.

Has anyone try the Falken RT-615K?
http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/Azenis-RT-615K-14

Groovytimes
10-09-2011, 08:04 AM
I have been doing autocross with the OEM tires which are absolutely awful. I have been doing a fair amount of research, and I think my next set of tires are going to be the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec. On tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+Sport+Z1+Star+Spec&partnum=245WR8Z1SS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mitsubishi&autoYear=2010&autoModel=Lancer%20Sportback&autoModClar=Ralliart)

The Kuhmo's GaBOS mentioned are supposed to be really good as well. I don't know much about the Falken's.

TrailBrake
10-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Star Specs look good from the surveys, but at 26lbs, seem a little on the heavy side.