PDA

View Full Version : 65mph vibration???

crtravelnmore
10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Has anyone experienced this. I have 2010 RA with Continental dws 235/40/18's on ACE rims. The steering wheel and petals vibrate at 65mph. I had a previous set of wheels that were heavier and switched to Ace to reduce the mass. Every 2 weeks I have to get them re-balanced. They would be 2 ounces out of balance per wheel. They balance them and it's as smooth as silk again. I'm looking for some new tires comparable to the Continentals in hope to cure this. I've seen on the forums that guys are running these.:confused:

BravoZero
10-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Explain the vibrations exactly, and how it progresses from being smooth to vibrating again after every couple of weeks. That seems really odd.

crtravelnmore
10-09-2011, 08:30 PM
The tires were just re-balanced yesterday. The steering wheel doesn't shake and the pedals are normal like when the car is off. In about a couple of weeks or about 1100-1200 mi later, the steering wheel will start shaking at 65mph and the pedals will as well (light shaking). I check the tires psi and they are the same. I had it once that the psi was 2 lbs out and once I even it back to 32 lbs the shake went away for a few days. It's pretty quick as how it goes from smooth to shake.

BravoZero
10-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Interesting... how many miles on the 2010 RA? Can't be bearings or hub issues if rebalancing fixes the issue temporarily. Problem with the tires or the wheels more than likely. The tires might be to blame though, have you tried rotating them to see if it helps?

crtravelnmore
10-10-2011, 04:59 AM
It was just rotated and hi speed balanced. It has 23k mi on it. The factory rims and tires didn't appear to do this but I bought it with 12k mi and the tires were shot. These were replaced around 14k mi and I had a 4 wheel alignment done.

Mkid
10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
My steering wheel jiggles when I'm going about 65 too. Haven't noticed anything with the pedals. I've let go of the steering wheel briefly and the car still goes straight so it hasn't bothered me much.

BravoZero
10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I can't tell any abnormal vibrations anymore anyway... the Borla creates enough to where I don't notice anything other than it, lol.