PDA

View Full Version : RRM GRIP Springs

joeskrobacz
07-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Has anyone heard about these springs. Im thinking about getting them to lower my RA a little bit. I know there designed for the 09 RA but wanted to see if anyone heard about them befor i go get them. I just dont see reason in getting coil overs dont track car at all so i figured springs would be best bet. I wanna order them asap. There reasonable price too. 220.

CarGuy
07-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Has anyone heard about these springs. Im thinking about getting them to lower my RA a little bit. I know there designed for the 09 RA but wanted to see if anyone heard about them befor i go get them. I just dont see reason in getting coil overs dont track car at all so i figured springs would be best bet. I wanna order them asap. There reasonable price too. 220.

What is RRM? I've driven on a few sets of springs but am not sure which brands they were. I really liked the ones Road Race was using on the RA they built for the South Coast Mitsubishi event. A nice compromise between ride quality and handling. Check with Mike who frequents this site.

joeskrobacz
07-13-2009, 05:55 AM
The Road Race ones are the RRM grip springs. I been looking into them for a while now, and talked to the people at road race and they said that there set up real good, not to low and designed perfectly for the vechile. I mean who knows how true it is they just wanna sell there parts, but i mean i havent heard nothing bad about them and the reviews are all good. So im prob gonna order mine today.

justin81
07-15-2009, 04:47 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about RRM from when I had my '04. I'm also thinking about ordering these springs in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know if Mitsu will have warranty issues if I use these springs??

Ladogaboy
07-16-2009, 09:52 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about RRM from when I had my '04. I'm also thinking about ordering these springs in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know if Mitsu will have warranty issues if I use these springs??

Mitsu (or any car manufacturer for that matter) could void a warranty based on an aftermarket modification; however, unless you are dealing with someone really underhanded, they will not void your warranty unless the part could somehow be connected to the failure.

For instance, if your only modification was lowering springs, and your TC-SST blew, they probably wouldn't void your warranty. However, if your strut tower collapsed, bearings went out, etc., they might just void the warranty coverage for those parts.

MikeW-RRE
07-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Those springs were on the quickest car around the autocross course at the SCM RalliArt day. I can save you some money on them. Hit me up.

[email protected]

Mike W

Manny
07-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey Mike ...is it ok If I email you as well? Would love to get a set

justin81
07-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I'll talk to the service manager at the dealership and see what he says. If it's not big deal (which i've heard it's different at each dealership) then I'm ordering a set asap. Thanks Mike.

MikeW-RRE
07-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey Mike ...is it ok If I email you as well? Would love to get a set

YES! is what we do (sell RalliArt parts)!

Mike W

CarGuy
07-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Mike W

Mike you gotta get the message out better! lol

MikeW-RRE
07-19-2009, 12:03 AM
See that is the whole problem... If I push my springs too much, then people will buy them all and I wont have them anymore. Then we gotta make more. It is a viscous circle.

;-)

Mike W

CarGuy
07-19-2009, 06:16 AM
See that is the whole problem... If I push my springs too much, then people will buy them all and I wont have them anymore. Then we gotta make more. It is a viscous circle.

;-)

Mike W

I feel for ya!

Ladogaboy
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Those springs were on the quickest car around the autocross course at the SCM RalliArt day. I can save you some money on them. Hit me up.

[email protected]

Mike W

Mike, do you have the exact numbers for these springs? The F/R drop and the spring rate?

MikeW-RRE
07-20-2009, 05:44 PM
I'll find out. In the meantime, find me stock spring rate numbers.

Mike W

Ladogaboy
07-20-2009, 06:32 PM
I'll find out. In the meantime, find me stock spring rate numbers.

Mike W

haha, I've been looking everywhere! Can't seem to find that information anywhere. I'm thinking they might be the same as the GTS??? But no one lists that information either. :confused:

MikeW-RRE
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Well then what are you going to compare my spring numbers to? :-)

Mike W

Ladogaboy
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Well then what are you going to compare my spring numbers to? :-)

Mike W

The competition. ;)

Okay... I did my best to estimate...

CAVEAT : the following stock spring rates are a complete estimate by a guy who didn't have a chance to even jack his car up and was, at the time of measurements, suffering from horrible grass allergies. I CANNOT CONFIRM NOR DENY THE ACCURACY OF THE FOLLOWING:

F= 273 lbs/in
R= 214 lbs/in

Just to give you guys an idea of how inaccurate these numbers might be: My initial measurements yielded F=692 lbs/in; R=418. :eek: Anyway, I hope that helps, and maybe we can get a more accurate estimate soon. If someone can get the accurate numbers for the stock front and rear spring's # of wraps; diameter of coil; and diameter of wire, then the actual spring rate can be calculated using the following equation:

Spring rate = d^4*12,000,000 over 8*N*D^3

where d is the wire diameter, N is the number of wraps, and D is the diameter of the coil.

Ladogaboy
07-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Horribly inaccurate information.

In my dazed and confused state, I probably miscalculated by quite a bit. Now, according to one source, the EVO IX springs, or similar, are able to be used (with a spacer) on the Ralliart, and the springs are 20% stiffer. If that math is correct, the spring rates would be approximately: F/150; R/190.

Those sound like more reasonable numbers to me, but I'm not in a position to jack my car up and measure them with 100% accuracy. I'm wondering, though, why the front springs would have less of a spring rate than the rears in the Ralliart since the EVO X has a higher spring rate in the front.

MikeW-RRE
07-21-2009, 06:41 PM
I stopped by South Coast Mitsubishi and measured some cars. It is the one place I can go and see a dozen RalliArts. I measured from the ground to the wheel well on 4 different cars. I measured two different RalliArts with our springs installed also. I averaged the heights of the front measurements and the rear measurements on stock and lowered cars.

Some stock fronts measured as high as 27 15/16" and as low as 27 1/4" for example. So toss it all together and average it out in the real world on cars that have been driven and here is what you get:

Stock
Front 27.5"
Rear 27.4"

Lowered
Front 25.3"
Rear 26.2"

Average Drop 2.2" front and 1.2" rear.

Stock:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/parts/progress/stock-side.jpg

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/parts/progress/stock-front.jpg

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/parts/progress/stock-rear.jpg

Mike W

MikeW-RRE
07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
stoopid 4 image limit :-P

Lowered:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/parts/progress/lowered-side.jpg

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/parts/progress/lowered-front.jpg

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/parts/progress/lowered-rear.jpg

If there ever comes some accurate spring rate to compare with I'll get into spring rates. With nothing meaningful to compare with, it is just mental masturbation :-)

Mike W

Ladogaboy
07-22-2009, 10:44 PM
If there ever comes some accurate spring rate to compare with I'll get into spring rates. With nothing meaningful to compare with, it is just mental masturbation :-)

Mike W

But it feels good. :-(

HiggsRA
07-23-2009, 09:04 PM
just looks like a perfect drop... Mike can you PM price shipped to 02090? Thanks in advance

justin81
07-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks Mike!

CarGuy
07-29-2009, 12:57 PM
I can personally attest that these springs are a very nice balance between daily driving and competitive driving. They don't beat you up so much like other brands of springs. After testing all three set-ups at the Mitusishi Super Stores Ralliart event I can say these were a nice balance. Best ride of the three RA's I gave hot laps in and yet competitive enough to let me run circles around most of the Evos all day long.

08Lancer89
08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Mike pm me a price shipped to 34120 thanks

MikeW-RRE
08-24-2009, 11:09 AM
PM'd

Mike W

justin81
08-25-2009, 12:21 PM
I really need to get mine put on this weekend. They've been sitting in my living room for almost 2 weeks. :mad:

08Lancer89
08-30-2009, 01:47 PM
pm'd

mike w

pm me back :d

justin81
09-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Finally got the springs put on over the weekend. These springs are awesome Mike. Thanks. The ride is perfect, the drop is perfect, and the handling is way better. The car looks awesome as well, very aggressive looking now instead of looking like a truck. Here is a lame picture that is hard to tell how low it is, but I'll get some better ones this weekend.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/justinr6/DSC_0079_2.jpg

MTZL
09-01-2009, 10:42 AM
^White RA with Tint looks good! Rims in the future?

Hows the clearance on drive ways? clearance on wheel well?
Springs are stiffer/ feel more road? During turning less rolls?

justin81
09-02-2009, 06:55 AM
^White RA with Tint looks good! Rims in the future?

Hows the clearance on drive ways? clearance on wheel well?
Springs are stiffer/ feel more road? During turning less rolls?

Driveways are no problem as long as they are not too steep. Mine is very very steep so I have to come in at a angle. As for daily driving, I have no problems even on crappy texas roads and highways. It's not low enough to where you would have to go out of your way to avoid stuff.

Clearance on wheel well is two full fingers in the front, and almost two fingers in the back.

They feel very close to stock actually. They are a little bit stiffer than stock, I feel bumps a little bit more, but over all still great for my daily driver.

The body roll is so much better. It drives the way I thought it would when I bought it. It's definitely a huge improvement.

MTZL
09-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info!

08Lancer89
09-12-2009, 07:21 AM
pm'd :D you about the springs Mike:cool:

wutangmo15
10-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Mike, can you PM me a price to 94587. Thanks!

rall1rt
04-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Mike W

i would also like a pair .... price?

Jordon

Tuqwik4u
04-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I hope Mike is making more springs lol ;)

Ladogaboy
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
i would also like a pair .... price?

Jordon

You might want four. :p

rall1rt
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
You might want four. :p

lol ya ... that would probably help lol:D

SnipeRA
05-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I Just got a set of these. Planning on putting them on this weekend will post pictuers afterwards

jay10ralliart
05-27-2010, 12:39 PM
price on these springs shipped to 46373 please

MikeW-RRE
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
$220 shipped in the lower 48 states.

Mike W

Tuqwik4u
05-27-2010, 06:23 PM
How much for the springs if i go to your shop and have them installed for me? I dont want to take my chances on doing the install myself on my DD. Thanks

MikeW-RRE
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM
$450 installed and includes a 4 wheel alignment.

Mike W

Tuqwik4u
05-28-2010, 01:18 AM
Very good price. A camber kit or anthing else wont be nesassary after the install?

Chaz17
03-18-2012, 10:20 PM
bumping this from the dead for some possible spring rates? let me know mike, thanks.

Frank120
03-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Yeah how are these holding up? I'd rather get these and a do luck trunk (Carbon fiber or fiberglass idk yet :confused:)instead of coil overs!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

Cesarn2928
04-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Very good price. A camber kit or anthing else wont be nesassary after the install?

I have the Rrm grip for a whilleeee now... I need a camber kit tho... Looking for one asap! I just got new tires too!
Ay help on that? Anyone?

BravoZero
04-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I have the Rrm grip for a whilleeee now... I need a camber kit tho... Looking for one asap! I just got new tires too!
Ay help on that? Anyone?

You can get either a front or rear camber kit from Whiteline. I have the rear camber kit and it works perfectly.

Champion3
04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
I was lookin to buy some springs wasnt sure which to get was looking at robi spec but drop isnt very low either