PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded RA Turbo by FP

eyedreamt
10-28-2011, 11:06 AM
This was brought up in another thread on another forum, but I thought I'd share it here too. FP informed me they are able to upgrade a stock RA turbo to a 65mm HTA wheel with a 43 lb/min flow rate.

Here is the e-mail thread of my conversation with Robert at FP for reference.

My Original e-mail:
Just curious if you have any plans to make a hybrid turbo out of the Mitsubishi Ralliart turbo (TD04HL-15T-7)? CBRD has done so and dubbed it the RAD Lite, however I wanted to see if you plan on, or if I provided my stock turbo, will create something similar?

Roberts Response:
Ryan, we can do such a thing of course. If fact we have done it on a number of occasions, but the results do not equal the power from the stock non ralliart turbo system and in my observations isnt really very useful for that reason. I am unaware of any constraint anywhere that requires the ralliart owner to retain the tiny TD04 turbo in order to participate in racing, so abandoning the TD04HL is about the smartest decision you could make. Ok, so now that full disclosure has occurred I would be happy to make a tiny ralliart turbo a tiny bit bigger :)

My Response:
Robert,

Thank you for the quick reply. While I am aware that the TD04 is a tiny turbo and I could move up to a TD05/Evo X Stock housing based turbo, it would require the o2 housing, manifold, and quite a few other parts from an X. My other issue is intakes. The information I have found has indicated a Evo-X intake (aftermarket or stock) is needed to go that direction, and with that comes battery relocation or a small battery. I also kind of like the idea of doing something different. To be honest I have a relatively modest goal of 300 – 320 WHP… which seems doable upgrading the TD04… correct me if I am wrong.

I also know quite a few others on EvolutionM.net are looking to avoid going the X swap route and just want something bolt-on, tune, and go. While CBRD offers such a thing, they don’t list a price, and getting ahold of them is difficult. .... If FP were to offer a similar upgrade without the hassle, I believe the outcome would be beneficial to both FP and the community of Ralliart owners.

So what would be next steps to getting something like this started, and what do you think the overall costs would be? I have a spare TD04 I can ship to you to do some research on.

Thank You,
Ryan

Roberts Response:
Ok, there isnt any research that needs to be done, the programs are already written for the wheels and the cover recontour. Sned it over and we'll do one up for you. If the core is good we will go a billet HTA upgrade for $795. It is a 65mm HTA wheel with a 43 lb/min flow rate that. This is the same wheel we use in the twin 997 aplication which normally operates around 700whp in the P-cars. Robert

My Reply
Robert,

Sounds good to me. Will there be any work done to the actuator? I know this thing runs out of breath on the top end and from what I’ve read that should address that issue… again, I’m just going off what I’ve read, you’re the expert, not me.

Where can I send the turbo? Should I send it, let you take a look to make sure we’re good to go, then make payment, or do you require payment up-front?

Thanks,
Ryan

Robert's Reply
of course it runs out of breath on the top end, its a itsy bitsy turbo with a itsy bitsy turbine housing and a itsy bitsy turbine housing on a motor that deserves so much more. No payment until the work is done use the turbocharger check in sheet from the turbocharger rebuild section of the website. I dont have any updated actuators for that turbo, honestly it wouldnt do a whole lot besides make it easier to destroy the turbo with overspeed since it is so small.

BravoZero
10-28-2011, 11:08 AM
We chatted about this in person, but this dude is very snarky.

eyedreamt
10-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I did share my opinion on the matter with you in person, but figured I'd keep it outta here and simply provide the information I have so others can make their own decision.

BravoZero
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Word.

However, if this were to happen, this might be a good thing.

MTZL
10-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks Ryan
for the inquiry & info.

The more initiative we show towards our RA the more doors will open.

Tuqwik4u
10-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Great discussion, In my opinion CBRD is better than FP, I'm going with the Lite. Isn't the Lite $900? Anyone know.

RG-RA
10-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Great discussion, In my opinion CBRD is better than FP, I'm going with the Lite. Isn't the Lite $900? Anyone know.

yea i paid 895

Tuqwik4u
10-30-2011, 06:13 PM
yea i paid 895

Nice, Is ur RA up and running?

Skyline Fever
11-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Is there a way to replace journal bearings with ball bearings when shipping the turbo to such a company?

Krisko
11-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Is there a way to replace journal bearings with ball bearings when shipping the turbo to such a company?

Ball bearings isn't really going to make a huge difference on SST trannys

NFSLancerRA
11-28-2011, 02:29 PM

Probably not. Even if so, it wouldn't be worth it.

Exyia
11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Probably not. Even if so, it wouldn't be worth it.

+1

I don't know how else to emphasize how ridiculously small the RA turbo is...I can't think of a single reason why a BB version would even be remotely worth it

AlphaKennyBody
11-28-2011, 11:17 PM
+1

I don't know how else to emphasize how ridiculously small the RA turbo is...I can't think of a single reason why a BB version would even be remotely worth it

It's so you can hit 20psi of Boost while in Neutral 30psi by 1700 RPM! DUH buhahahha

Krisko
11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
I think what people are failing to see is if you want to make the RA truly powerful the X style turbos are the only way to go, period. Instead of trying to get a pistol to hit a target 100 yards away its better just to get a sniper rifle with a scope, right? Same thing here.

I've done the swap, and please trust these guys when they tell you, "The ralliart turbo is retarded small". The ralliart turbo looks like it comes in those Xcelerator hand dryers in public restrooms. When you have a horsepower addiction, why settle for making the small turbo have bigger tiny parts when you can just use the X turbo and upgrade it along the way? You think a daily driver with 250awhp/300awtq is fun you should try 400awhp/400awtq, its a whole new car.

Plus the RA is lighter and has a much more aggressive tranny (I have no idea why). I test drove an MR with the same power as my RA (380whp/400wtq) and the RA can blow its doors off all day.

RALM
09-08-2012, 04:40 PM
yea i paid 895

is this turbo upgrade work the 900 bucks and besides FP who else makes the turbin and or compressor upgrade?

zeRep85
09-08-2012, 07:27 PM
is this turbo upgrade work the 900 bucks and besides FP who else makes the turbin and or compressor upgrade?

Cbrd makes the bbx models; full and lite

Mike@rre and razorlab were running bbx lites (dont know if they currently are). Most definitely worth it.

zeRep

RALM
09-09-2012, 11:47 AM

Mike@rre and razorlab were running bbx lites (dont know if they currently are). Most definitely worth it.

zeRep

Ok thanks so Im guessing the full is the evo x turbo and lite is the RA turbon and compressor wheel upgrage correct me if im wrong. Do you know anyone who is running the FP (HTA) set up in their RA's stock turbo?

RalliNurse
09-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Ok thanks so Im guessing the full is the evo x turbo and lite is the RA turbon and compressor wheel upgrage correct me if im wrong. Do you know anyone who is running the FP (HTA) set up in their RA's stock turbo?

No...BBX FULL AND LITE is all evo x turbos...RA is RAD only...

RALM
09-09-2012, 08:23 PM
ok thanks any inpute on the FP (HTA) set up.

razorlab
09-09-2012, 10:45 PM

zeRep

I'm still running the BBX Lite. Great turbo, spools like stock Evo 10 turbo but much more power. 400whp maybe. ;)

RALM
09-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm still running the BBX Lite. Great turbo, spools like stock Evo 10 turbo but much more power. 400whp maybe. ;)

Wait Ralliart Nurse said that the RAD setup is the one that uses the RA turbo, but ur running the lite set up but its not the evo x turbo im a lil perplexed now.

Exyia
09-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Wait Ralliart Nurse said that the RAD setup is the one that uses the RA turbo, but ur running the lite set up but its not the evo x turbo im a lil perplexed now.

pick your frame:

TD04 (Ralliart comes with it stock)
TD05 (Evo X comes with it stock)

Options for TD04:
-stock
-rad
-whatever FP wants to call it

Options for TD05:
-stock Evo X turbo
-FP Green, Red, Black
-BBX Lite, BBX
-MAP EF2,3,4
etc

zeRep85
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM

And you want to put a throttle body on this car!??! You have A LOT to learn mi amigo.

Wait until you hear about compound charging the Ralliart! ;)

zeRep

RALM
09-10-2012, 05:16 PM
very tru and has anyone had any problms with the RAD set up because my tuner said it would be worth while to just get the evo x turbo instead of the rad setup

Umbletron
09-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Wait until you hear about compound charging the Ralliart! ;)
zeRep

Has anyone on our threads actually? compound charged the ralliart? o.O the only "supercharger" i could find for us was http://www.superchargertuning.com/Mitsubishi/Lancer+Evolution/ if you can call that a supercharger

Umbletron
09-10-2012, 06:08 PM
tho i do wonder if that weird setup would work as a sequential turbo

AlphaKennyBody
09-11-2012, 12:53 AM

Dear Baby Korean Jesus.....

Razorlab is using a "Lite" Turbo as in BBX Lite (Evo X Turbo Modified and Built to custom specs by CBRD)

BBX "Lite" FTW. http://cbrd.mybigcommerce.com/cbrd-bbx-lite/

They Also Have a BBX Full which is FTMFW!

Someone in here fucked up and said they got a "Lite" for 800 bucks when all over the net and car meets.... When saying you got a "Lite" refers to (Depending on Evo 8/9 or X) is the BBK or BBX Lite. Confused?... I know I'll keep going....

The RAD "Lite" is what your talking about that was Designed for the RA. The RAD "lite" is a stock RA turbo Modified and Rebuilt to custom specs by CBRD. For future references... Don't ever call this a "Lite" Turbo..... This is known to everyone else as the RAD turbo.

CBRD RAD Turbo (I know says lite but dont say it cause it's confusing on the forums) Cheap, Personally Not Worth it..... http://cbrd.mybigcommerce.com/cbrd-rad-lite-turbocharger/

So to go back to the guy who said earlier he got a "lite" instead which is cheaper is most likely on the RAD turbo unless he got a good as deal on BBX "Lite" used.

Still confused?

Summary:

BBX/BBK Full or Lite = Uses Stock Evo 9/X Turbos and Then Modifying them to become The BBX/BBK Full or Lite

CBRD RAD = Uses The Stock RA and then Modifying them to become the CBRD RAD Turbo for the RA ONLY.

Umbletron
09-11-2012, 06:24 AM
tho i do wonder if that weird setup would work as a sequential turbo

I just thought about that... disreguard

zeRep85
09-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Has anyone on our threads actually? compound charged the ralliart? o.O the only "supercharger" i could find for us was http://www.superchargertuning.com/Mitsubishi/Lancer+Evolution/ if you can call that a supercharger

i waz kiddin'

:p

zeRep

eyedreamt
09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
CBRD RAD Turbo (I know says lite but dont say it cause it's confusing on the forums) Cheap, Personally Not Worth it..... http://cbrd.mybigcommerce.com/cbrd-rad-lite-turbocharger/

1. If people can't read RAD Lite and BBX Lite as different things they are too stupid to be modifying a car.

2. My 360WHP disagrees with the RAD Lite not being worth it.

zeRep85
09-19-2012, 01:41 PM
2. My 360WHP disagrees with the RAD Lite not being worth it.

Pictures or LIES!

zeRep

Markspd6
09-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Can't wait to get mine in.. Still waiting for some build pieces to show..

eyedreamt
09-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Pictures or LIES!

zeRep

Bryan posted my numbers in the thread on evom about the rad lite turbo. He tuned it. E85 may have helped. ;-)

BravoZero
09-20-2012, 04:34 PM
That's there, this is here. Post 'em, biatch! :)

eyedreamt
09-21-2012, 02:11 PM
That's there, this is here. Post 'em, biatch! :)

I'll do a pull tomorrow on the way to MOD and load it into VD for ya. Wait, you've seen the graph on FB. lol

BravoZero
09-21-2012, 05:33 PM
I'll do a pull tomorrow on the way to MOD and load it into VD for ya. Wait, you've seen the graph on FB. lol

Lol, that's just me though.

ever12
10-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Did OP ever get his TD04 built by FP?

RALM
10-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Good Question?

zeRep85
10-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Good Question?

Im pretty sure he did not!

FP would have upgraded the stock TD04 but wasnt totally for it.

zeRep

RALM
10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Im pretty sure he did not!

FP would have upgraded the stock TD04 but wasnt totally for it.

zeRep

I called FP almost a month ago and the customer service person informed me that they do not upgrade the RA's stock TD04 internals.

zeRep85
10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
FP informed me they are able to upgrade a stock RA turbo to a 65mm HTA wheel with a 43 lb/min flow rate.

Here is the e-mail thread of my conversation with Robert at FP for reference.

Followed by the email conversation eyedreamt had with Robert.

Im going by OP and so far he was more credibility than you sir :)

zeRep

Gasm
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Does anyone have a CBRD rad in there RA if so can you pm me and tell me how you like ut and what kind power you have.

RALM
12-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Does anyone have a CBRD rad in there RA if so can you pm me and tell me how you like ut and what kind power you have.

hey pm me too I would like to know how it performs compared to the stock internals