PDA

View Full Version : ralliart specific questions with openport

johnnyfive
11-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi I'm new to ralliarts but not to open source tuning. I just wanted to ask the community a few questions.

1. As for the tactrix cable, I know I need the 2.0 cable to flash (I used the 1.3U on my old car). Before I grab it though... is the 1.3u cable dangerous to the ralliart? I remember reading that pin 9 on the 1.3 cable could damage the Etacs computer on the evo 9's is this true as well for the x and ralli's? Also assuming the cable is OK to use could I read the map from the ecu with the 1.3u.

2. I would ideally like stay under warranty coverage and currently don't plan to physically modify the car (so flash only. most likely gst base map for stock car). In order to do this I believe I will need to save some of the learned values from the ecu ( timing chain stretch value and possibly more) and re-input them after the the ecu is flashed (and flashed back to stock). Is there a way to do this with the ecuflash software or evoscan? Currently the only way I know for sure to do this is to rent a mut 3 tool and use its function to save the data, then flash the tune, then re-write the data from the mut to the newly flashed ecu.

3. This is more of an advanced question but if I wanted to slightly modify the shift points on the trans would tweaking the ecu be the best way to do so? Say by modifying the appropriate drive-by-wire map cells. Or should I just leave this alone. I'd like to delay the 6th gear shift by a few hundred rpm at low throttle.

I think that's it for now. Hopefully I was clear in what I was asking for. Any help would be appreciated.

TrailBrake
11-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Maybe someone with expert knowledge can confirm once and for all if the dealer MUT III tool can see if the ECU has been flashed, and how many times that has taken place.

If it can see flashes, that would be a void the factory warranty.

Mkid
11-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I've heard they have to actually be looking for it to find it so they really have to want to screw you for that to happen.

johnnyfive
11-22-2011, 10:40 AM
I've heard they have to actually be looking for it to find it so they really have to want to screw you for that to happen.

That's really all that I've read "I've heard they can do that...I've heard they can't do that". About the hardest evidence I've read that the mut 3 can't directly see if a car has been flashed before is post on evom from someone at Cobb saying they couldn't tell the car had ever been tuned by looking at it with the mut tool. If I weren't posting on my phone i'd provide a link to it. I found it by googling "can mitsubishi see if a car has been flashed." It was one of the results. Most of the rest are just speculation or stig stories ("Some say...")

I'm still kind of skeptical of the Cobb story but aside from that. I know of at least one way mitsu could see if the car had been flashed. When the car is flashed all of the learned values of the ecu are gone with it. The timing chain stretch data is a learned value that goes along with it. So I flash my car at whatever mileage then x miles later the trans goes bad/ engine mount breaks/some random expensive engine sensor fails and a rep needs to look at the car.

So if I flash the car back to stock before I bring it in the timing chain is back to zero. The rep could look at the chain from its inspection point and see if the value in the ecu matches the actual stretch and voila the rep doesn't know what exactly happened to the computer but he knows something isn't right and that some customers flash tunes into their cars.

TLDR: I want to know if I can use the openport equipment to move the timing chain stretch value onto a newly flashed ecu.

wwralliart77
11-22-2011, 10:53 AM
When the dealer I took my RA to scanned my car for a flash/tune it came out negative. They could have easily seen my RRE license plate frame and my boost pill; as a bright gray vacuum hose tends to stand out :D However they were unable to tell. A lot of these techs are old school and diagnosis vehicles as per training calls. If the MUT III tool says the car isn't flashed/tuned then most techs believe so and write off the car as stock. It's the rare and few that actually know what to look for.