PDA

View Full Version : Alignment/steering issue?

BravoZero
11-22-2011, 06:44 AM
For as long as I can remember, there's always been some weird issue with my steering... even before my coilovers and new wheels/tires. If I'm driving down a flat road or even one that's angled, turning the wheel to the left needs more pressure than turning to the right. However, it doesn't seem to veer one way or another and I've had the alignment double and triple checked, also had the coilover settings checked too. Left the shop today and it's still doing it even with my new tire setup.

Anyone encounter this same issue? The guy at the shop told me it could be something that happened at the factory with the steering rack, and he didn't say if anything was damaged or worn in any of the steering components.

TrailBrake
11-22-2011, 08:52 AM
For as long as I can remember, there's always been some weird issue with my steering... even before my coilovers and new wheels/tires. If I'm driving down a flat road or even one that's angled, turning the wheel to the left needs more pressure than turning to the right. However, it doesn't seem to veer one way or another and I've had the alignment double and triple checked, also had the coilover settings checked too. Left the shop today and it's still doing it even with my new tire setup.

Anyone encounter this same issue? The guy at the shop told me it could be something that happened at the factory with the steering rack, and he didn't say if anything was damaged or worn in any of the steering components.

That does seem to be unusual. Have you had a quality 4 wheel alignment done on your car?

BravoZero
11-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Yup, at the same shop that installed my coilovers back in the spring and installed my new wheels and tires this past friday.

TrailBrake
11-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Were they able to get you within factory specs?

The reason I ask is that I had a problem with the dealer's alignment (they told me it was the tires) and I ended up having to go to a shop with an LED rack. They got it spot on with factory springs, and had them re-do it after switching to Eibach Pro Kits.

BravoZero
11-22-2011, 09:58 AM
They were able to adjust everything as close as they could, the only thing they couldn't do much about was the rear camber. One side is sitting at -2 and the other is at -1.6, they said I would need a rear camber adjustment kit, but advised me that it wouldn't affect tire life or handling. Which is funny because the last time I had an alignment done, I was sitting at -1.6 and -1.4, don't know how it bumped out to -2.

TrailBrake
11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
I wish I had more to add on this, but I haven't experienced it.

When I was picking springs, I picked the Eibach Pro Kit because they don't alter the suspension geometry outside factory specs and the drop isn't too low. Don't want to be a snow plow in the winter. :p

It might be an idea to get the rear camber bolts though. I recall seeing sets from different vendors that were fairly reasonable in price.

GAbOS
11-24-2011, 09:59 AM
BC Racing offers camber plates for the rear on the BR kits I'm sure.

BravoZero
11-24-2011, 07:03 PM
They do offer camber plates but they won't work on this car. To adjust the rear camber you have to get the Whiteline rear camber kit.

Anyway... took it back up to the shop yesterday, they fixed the steering wheel issue and now it's straight as it should be. Also noticed that the turning isn't as difficult as it was. Interesting.

RalliNurse
01-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeah...I did notice on my yokos that outer most edge of my tires was completly mald and middle still have treadware...the guy at the sears auto says my alignment might be off...would that be possible? Or it might be that I cut 90 degree turn hard?

RalliTart00
01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Well alignment issues are usually present in tire wear. My tires are also wearing on the inside shoulder, this is actually the cause of negative camber set up from factory. They over compensate the camber in the assumption there will be weight inside the car. Especially for the rear camber. A more positive adjustment front and rear can be done, the benifit to negative camber is that it makes the turn back of the steering wheel easier and over all handling of the car.

BravoZero
01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah...I did notice on my yokos that outer most edge of my tires was completly mald and middle still have treadware...the guy at the sears auto says my alignment might be off...would that be possible? Or it might be that I cut 90 degree turn hard?

Could be both. The stock Yoko's are very crappy, they're too hard of a compound yet they wear out very quickly. Your alignment might be way out.

RalliNurse
01-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Could be both. The stock Yoko's are very crappy, they're too hard of a compound yet they wear out very quickly. Your alignment might be way out.

If it's the alignment issue...repairable?

RalliTart00
01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
If it's the alignment issue...repairable?

Absolutely, 4 wheel alignment is the way to go.:)