PDA

View Full Version : Best/Highest MGP Average?

TheBlackBeast
07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I hit 28.1 today on the way to work. Of course by the time I was off the freeway and had hit a few streets to get to the office it was back down to 25.7, but still I thought that was pretty good to hit a peak of 28.1!

What's your best MPG on a trip?
What's your typical average?

justin81
07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
27.something is the best I've seen on a road trip last weekend taking it slow following the folks. On the way back by myself ragging on it a bit through dallas I got about 18. Day to day going to work I average about 25

darkmana153
07-29-2009, 09:45 PM
i honestly think that mpg gauge is terribly inaccurate. ive gotten it to read 31mpg while on the freeway. Ive never gotten more than 250-260 miles to a tank.

evolite
07-29-2009, 11:05 PM
I must be nuts replacing my Focus SE for a Ralliart :P I will probably lose 5 miles, but I usually get 270-290 before the fuel light goes on with the 13 gallon tank on a Focus, I have once gotten almost 350 on a tank if I did strictly some cross country freeway trip (I once did Las Vegas to Inglewood and back in one day, with a full tank and had to refuel in Victorsville on the way back

I bet I will have to fuel in Victorsville on the way not the return with a Ralliart, but the driving experience will be more fun :D

HiggsRA
07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
you guys are killing me in MPG, im in a whole lot of stop and go tho- I have noticed my full tank miles to go has been getting higher and higher the more miles. im at close to 5k now and its reading 255 mi / tank when i first got it it was like 220

MTZL
07-31-2009, 10:26 AM
I have over 6K+ miles on it

First Month I put 2K miles on it. I used to get 22mpg on i880 freeway with stop and go freeway traffic. Driving it with very little pressure on gas pedal. never above 3k rpm. 220miles to empty on full tank.

Second Month I had total of 4K miles. I started driving it a little harder reving about 4-5K rpm. Oil Change and Tired rotated. 18mpg sport mode driving. 25mpg cruising streets and freeway. 240miles to empty on full tank.

Third Month I now have total of 6K+ miles on it. I drive slow and cruise in most residential area and fast on freeways. 22 mpg average sometimes 17 and 23.
260miles to empty on full tank.

Three month old Daily Driven 6,185 miles to date RA.

TheBlackBeast
07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I drove from south OC to Glendale this week in stop n go traffic with about 200lbs of gear in the car in addition to a full tank of gas n my fat but. Avg 20 on the way there and 23 on the way back. I thought it was pretty good for haullin' crap.

troy@WORKS
08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I averaged 24.8mpg over my whole trip bringing our stock Ralliart from Seattle, Wa. to Sonoma, Ca. Also I did the drive in 11hrs 34min. with roughly an average speed of 68mph. One tank of gas I made it to 279 miles and on another tank of gas I got 241 miles, more than likely due to my heavy right foot. Both times the tank was filled with 93 octane fuel and run until the gauge was blinking at me.

rschottr
08-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I've had mine for two weeks now and from what I've read here, seems like my 20mpg average is right on target. I'm guessing it will get a little better once the engine is broken in. My only pet peave is that the tank is 14gal. I hate having to fill up twice in a week to go 240mi.

MTZL
08-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Everytime I go to the pump when Gas Gauge is blinking & I only max at 12gal. at the pump. maybe 2gal extra for safety? Im monitoring my mileage manually just to make sure the mpg meter is correct. 180 miles from full tank, right now gas gauge is below half a tank and display read 60 miles to empty...
thats 240 miles on 12 gal. 240/12 is 20mpg. We'll see if I actually get another 60miles on my current tank.
** I ran A/C all the time on full blast with this tank of gas**

6,560 miles to date DD 3 months old. Im going to be out of warrenty before I even pay it off. Cars are meant to be driven right??!?

evolite
08-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Well yes A/C does have some impacton mpg. Well I will get extended warranty cause my last car ended up with 2-3 snippets between 36,000 and 45,000 miles! ugh.... so I had to pay out of my pocket. I had similiar warranty, it was 36,000 for every part. I think later in the years they added those new 100,000 mile stuff on most cars. but since those issues I had, I never had any problems from 45K to 95K so far. but I could have saved myself around 3K in repairs and replacement if my warranty had been extended

Ralliart Down Under
08-09-2009, 01:14 AM
I might confuses you guys with this we are in km's here and liters now the tank size in liters is 55, petrol here is 91 or 98 octane and is around $1.35 ltr,
Mitsubishi say I should be getting around 10.2ltrs per 100kms just come back from a weekend trip and got it down as low as 7.7 averaged 7.9 on the highway there and 8.4 on the way back which is a hell of allot better than they where quoting which means I should get well over 400kms from a tank, but most of driving is around town which is know where as good,
anyway hope i have not confused you to much with the kms and liters maybe there some others from Australia that use this site and it might be of interest to them

MTZL
08-14-2009, 11:11 AM
I didnt get 240 miles, I got 234 miles before gauge started blinking warning to refuel. Pump 91 octane to 12 gal.

6,859 miles to date.

xdemoulasx
08-17-2009, 10:44 PM
i got an average of 25.8 on one 1000+ mile road trip and 27.9 or something around there on another 1000 mile road trip (both trips were FL to NH). I got very very close to 300 a few times the second trip (i think i did get 300+ at one time) but i think my car running lean at the time helped.

RalliUp
08-18-2009, 11:08 AM
I get crap gas milleage in Nashville. To many stop lights, and anywhere I need to go doesn't require me to jump on the interstate. So my 4 banger RalliArt, and my V8 lincoln LS aren't helping me out at the pump.

TheBlackBeast
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
I checked the manual and the tank has a 14gal capacity. It seems the empty tank light comes on at 12, shows as empty at 13 (the bar indicator for level of gas). So even if you get the tank display to empty it looks like you still have about a gallon reserve. I don't plan to test that out though...

Ladogaboy
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I checked the manual and the tank has a 14gal capacity. It seems the empty tank light comes on at 12, shows as empty at 13 (the bar indicator for level of gas). So even if you get the tank display to empty it looks like you still have about a gallon reserve. I don't plan to test that out though...

I can verify that this is correct. My fuel light came on; I drove for about 20 or so miles; my empty light came on; and right after, it took me exactly 13 gallons to fill.

excessiveboost
08-30-2009, 09:04 PM
well i got about 300 miles on a full tank..sometimes more..i guess the new exhaust helps out alot

MTZL
08-31-2009, 10:00 AM
well i got about 300 miles on a full tank..sometimes more..i guess the new exhaust helps out alot

What were you getting before the exhaust? I dont know about exhaust alone improving gas mileage.

Maybe all the parts and upgrade with JMS tune made it leaner?

(X)EVO IX MR BOV
(X)MSR 045 Red Stripe
(X)AMS Cat-Back Exhaust
(X)AMS Boost Pill
(X)JMS Tune

MTZL
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Mine is still stock and it run too rich. I get 240 miles per tank. I could use the extra 60+ miles. How much have you spent on your upgrades?
Why MSR 045 Red Stripe? 18x8? From what I understand wider and stickier the tires = worst mileage..

(X)EVO IX MR BOV
(X)MSR 045 Red Stripe
(X)AMS Cat-Back Exhaust
(X)AMS Boost Pill
(X)JMS Tune

Ralliart Guy
09-01-2009, 04:47 PM
If anyone is contemplating buying a Ralliart and you are asking or worrying about gas mileage then you need to purchase a different car. This car gets absolutely horrible gas mileage. I currently average around 20-21 miles per gallon. If you want performance you have to pay for it. Ralliart = 93 Octane at the pump + synthetic oil (add about 30 bucks to the price of your current oil change since sythetic oil is so expensive). This car is fun to drive and it looks "tuff." I am an all wheel drive addict now, no torque steer.... The extra money is worth it!

bmanuhutu
09-01-2009, 06:24 PM
getting 260 miles and thats with about 2 gallons left in the tank, whats weird was on my 300whp evo 8 i can reach 300 miles and still have about 1.5 gallons left :/

MTZL
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
If anyone is contemplating buying a Ralliart and you are asking or worrying about gas mileage then you need to purchase a different car. This car gets absolutely horrible gas mileage. I currently average around 20-21 miles per gallon. If you want performance you have to pay for it. Ralliart = 93 Octane at the pump + synthetic oil (add about 30 bucks to the price of your current oil change since sythetic oil is so expensive).

I get 18mpg sometimes when I drive it in TC-SST in sports mode/ Manually shifting. Mostly 20-22mpg driving 5 miles faster than traffic

Gas stations around my area are 91 Octane and still it over $3.29/gal.:mad:

First time changing Synthetic oil and Tire rotation costed me $60
plus I had bought 4 oil filters approx. $8 ea. buy 3 get one free from mitsu dealer with 4 special metal washers for drain plug bolt $2.50 ea.
Washer had to be replace each oil change.

I always go to the same smog garage for oil change and I know them by names & now I get my Synthetic Oil Change for $16 :D with my own oil filter and metal washer.

I know more power = less mpg but the RA can do better.

This car is fun to drive and it looks "tuff." I am an all wheel drive addict now, no torque steer.... The extra money is worth it!

I agree with you on this one!
I still love the RA!

Ladogaboy
09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
If anyone is contemplating buying a Ralliart and you are asking or worrying about gas mileage then you need to purchase a different car.

Well, the thing is, our cars are supposed to be the best of both worlds. V8 power with 4-cylinder gas mileage. The truth, of course, leaves us somewhere in between. The fact that I can get 28 mpg on a road trip, yet still run with the big boys on the track, makes me happy. :D

I think main reason people complain about the mileage is because it is so easily fixed. This car runs extremely rich from factory, and a basic tune that leans out the AFR seems to increase the mileage by 2-3 mpg.

TheBlackBeast
09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
If anyone is contemplating buying a Ralliart and you are asking or worrying about gas mileage then you need to purchase a different car.

Well, I didn't start this thread with the thought of complaining about mpg. I guess some might complain about it and in that case you are absolutely correct - they should be looking at another car if they are worried about it. I was more or less amazed I could hit 28 mpg at times in a car with a healthy amount of power. That to me is the the icing on the cake for a car like this.

Well, the thing is, our cars are supposed to be the best of both worlds. V8 power with 4-cylinder gas mileage. The truth, of course, leaves us somewhere in between. The fact that I can get 28 mpg on a road trip, yet still run with the big boys on the track, makes me happy. :D
My thoughts exactly...

MTZL
09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Im not complaining.. ok maybe kinda. I just know I could be getting better mpg I started with 22-25mpg and it got lit better and now I get approx. 18mpg. 25-28mpg is better than 18mpg is all Im saying. Hopefully with a dyno tune from GST will bring mpg up a little and some more power. By the way you got a nice tuned RA BlackBeast. Any track time yet?

MTZL
09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Ok. I've gotten a Tune from Bryan @ GST Motorsport. The day after tunning I got 17mpg with lead foot speeding everywhere. I started taking it easy I get 22mpg Average. I went to Infineon Raceway 180miles round trip with cone track driving so hard poor yoko tires were screaming "help me Im not made for the cone track!" engine was on most of the time, lined up to drive on the track for about 2hrs idling (3 runs about a minute each run) :D and had 90 miles left on a tank. I actually got 275 miles later that week.

I think I ran through 11 gal. not sure refuel light come on @ either 11 or 12 with 2 gal. spare after refuel light on 14 gal. tank. On my way back I average 26-27mpg on my display, never had 27mpg on display (less stop and go)

I always fill up with
91 Octane from 76

Does anybody else use different Octane rating or Gas stations to get better gas mileage?

AVENGER
09-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I run 93 octane in mine all the time.. Usually from Citgo, Hess or Sunoco.
Back in April my wife and I drove from Jersey to my parents house in Florida.
On the drive down, I would lock the car into 6th gear cruising about 80-85MPH average and sometimes 90-100 depending on the stretch of the highway and what states I was going through. But, by locking the car into 6th gear and even cruising at those speeds, I could sustain 30-31MPG for a couple hundred miles.
Even if I had to slow down by 15MPH, I would keep the car in 6th. It would pick back up without any problem. These cars are actually pretty good on gas considering the circumstances at any given time.

Ladogaboy
10-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I've suddenly noticed a major drop off in fuel efficiency on the highway, and I'm not sure what caused it. I used to hover between 27 and 28 mpg highway. I still average between 21-22 mpg city driving, but for some reason, I'm not able to get over 25 mpg highway @ 70 mph and cruise control on. (I just got back from an 1,100 mile road trip.)

I'll have to do some more investigating and see if it was just weather and road conditions.

MTZL
10-05-2009, 09:11 AM
i JUST GOT LOW TIRE PRESSURE Warning this morning. After driving about 5miles on the freeway it went away. Maybe when the tires heat up it brought tire pressure back up.

Check your tire pressure that could reduce your gas mileage.

I need to check air filter, still running a stock air filter.
Im looking at K&N air filter but I already got it tuned & I dont know if thats gonna upset the ECU. Anybody else?

I get 23-25mpg now after the tune, in traffic street & freeway.
Im somewhat happy, would be happier with 28-30mpg like some of yal.

Heliart
10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
The MPG on the Ralliart sucks....the best average I've ever gotten (15000 miles) is 23.8mpg, and it was from a 550 miles trip from CT to Toronto. Mine gauge never ever got above 24mpg. I get 220 miles from daily commute before I have to fill up.

TheBlackBeast
10-29-2009, 12:50 PM
The MPG on the Ralliart sucks....the best average I've ever gotten (15000 miles) is 23.8mpg, and it was from a 550 miles trip from CT to Toronto. Mine gauge never ever got above 24mpg. I get 220 miles from daily commute before I have to fill up.
Hmm... Thats what I got on a recent road trip to central california. ...and my ecu is tuned so I find that rather interesting.

MTZL
10-29-2009, 01:35 PM
i THINK THE REASON is ECU learn your driving style. I notice now when Im in Auto D/Normal and let off the gas it downshift for me without hitting the brake.

For example, Im coming to a red light @ 25-35mph, instead of me hitting the brakes or downshifting which I usually do, I let go of the gas and TC-SST Auto downshift til Im in 1st Gear. And tap the brake to fully stop.
IDK I think its learning.

wutangmo15
11-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I always go to the same smog garage for oil change and I know them by names & now I get my Synthetic Oil Change for $16 :D with my own oil filter and metal washer.

Damn, where is this place? Do you know what kind of Synthetic Oil they are using?

MTZL
11-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I think Castrol but I think Im gonna start doing my own with Mobile 1.:)

They are in Newark/Fremont Thorton>Blacow. I dont have their address but I know the location. I'll pm you with their address.

Ladogaboy
11-13-2009, 04:16 PM
For example, Im coming to a red light @ 25-35mph, instead of me hitting the brakes or downshifting which I usually do, I let go of the gas and TC-SST Auto downshift til Im in 1st Gear. And tap the brake to fully stop.
IDK I think its learning.

In an manual, you'd refer to that process as compression braking, and it is just a more efficient driving in general. The fact that the TC-SST revmatches and acts more like a manual than an automatic allows us to do that. My driving style hasn't changed that much from when I owned my WRX (I would compression brake in it as well).

Also, in addition to saving gas, that technique also saves your brakes. I put in 40,000 miles on my WRX, and still had some pad left on the stock brakes. :eek:

MTZL
11-16-2009, 10:25 AM
In an manual, you'd refer to that process as compression braking, and it is just a more efficient driving in general. The fact that the TC-SST revmatches and acts more like a manual than an automatic allows us to do that. My driving style hasn't changed that much from when I owned my WRX (I would compression brake in it as well).

Also, in addition to saving gas, that technique also saves your brakes. I put in 40,000 miles on my WRX, and still had some pad left on the stock brakes. :eek:

I didnt know that, thanks for sharing. I just been driving under 3K rpm most of time staying away from boost to save gas. lol. I have better relations with my RA now with 10,800+ miles on it and counting. I cant wait to get some more power under the hood.

I finally got an appointment for my recalls (Brake and Fuel) with Capitol Mitsu and Method4.
I hope they do a good job.

MTZL
11-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I got the recall done but doesnt feel any different. Although under acceleration I can hear my turbo more and when I let off I can hear my bov more too.
Ima keep track of my mpg with my next tank... almost empty.

MTZL
11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Just filled with 91 Octane from 76.
I went 18miles so far tank display show 230 miles left to empty.
about 20mpg average. in stop n go traffic, 50/50 streets and freeway.

I drive relatively faster now. 5+ over speed limit.

RGRalliart
12-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I got an average of 30 on a 2 hour trip recently.

mitzi
12-14-2009, 11:21 PM
i started off with 27 mpg highway and 18mpg city with the stock tires and i've dereased since then. Down to 25 mpg highway and 17 mpg city with the goodyear GT's. Fun factor hasn't decreased though..:D

TheBlackBeast
04-29-2010, 04:28 PM
So yeah, resurrecting this thread. Had a new highest AVG this week! :D

geargrinder
04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Omg what did you do swap motors with a Prius?

The best MPG I've gotten was 23mpg on a trip to Big Sur. The worst was 8.9 mpg on a spirited drive through Terminal Island, and down the 47fwy.

MTZL
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
He stay in 5th gear, all the time! lol..

Im curious too how did you get that kind of mileage?:confused:

TheBlackBeast
04-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Anyone can do it actually. You don't need an engine swap or tune either. Its the simplest mod to get the best avg. In fact, your service manual you probably never read would give you a hint about how to go about it. My hint is: Its in arms reach when you drive...

geargrinder
04-30-2010, 06:40 AM
My guess is that you reset the mpg counter while in cruise control as you were going down hill. :p

MTZL
04-30-2010, 02:17 PM
ASC off while in Cruise Control dropping to neutral @ every stop light? :D

rmralliart09
04-30-2010, 09:04 PM
So yeah, resurrecting this thread. Had a new highest AVG this week! :D

Wow that is really good if only we could really get that kind of milege out of the ralliart my best 280mi on my trip to vegas actually pretty good considering i wasnt doing 65 the whole way :D

TheBlackBeast
05-02-2010, 07:31 AM
My guess is that you reset the mpg counter while in cruise control as you were going down hill. :p

Oh dang. my secret's out... :rolleyes:

L3ft0fC3nt3r
09-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Just picked up a white 2009 Ralliart that I have been hunting for over a year. I finally feel like I can post here :rolleyes:

I found the same mpg trick by constantly resetting the mpg/avg speed screen. Also noticed that the best "actual" mileage came at 59 mph in 6th gear at 34.1 mpg. Held it there for quite a few miles on flat Indiana roads and it never went below 30 mpg. Had plenty of time to test with all the evil 45 mph construction zones :mad:

Trip to West Virgina was just what I needed to give it a workout over this holiday weekend. Averaged about 24 mpg over three tanks of gas... between hypermiling and sport mode... only got over 300 mi on a tank once. Really incredible for how much power the car has, especially at 85 mph. It just begs to go 100+ and loves every mountain curve.

Totally stock.