PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Help

Pasty Infidel
01-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Hey Guys,

Has anybody ever experienced this problem I may be having? When I am just in normal driving mode from 1st to 2nd gear there is like a cluncking noise and it doesnt seem like the gear is catching like it should. Also, once I am fianlly up to speed and just in town driving or highway driving the rpm's seem to keep flucating...up and down..up down...but it it not a extreme. My car is pretty much stock minus the exhaust and I am pretty easy on the car since I do use it as my daily driver.

Thanks

BravoZero
01-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Year, mileage?

Pasty Infidel
01-07-2012, 07:45 AM
It's a 2009 with 59,500 miles. The car will shift fine sometimes and then once I am driving it's like a hesitation I am experiencing. For example, driving 25 mph zone the RPM will be at 2,000 and flucuate up to 2,100 and back down to 2,000

BravoZero
01-07-2012, 11:01 AM
It's a 2009 with 59,500 miles. The car will shift fine sometimes and then once I am driving it's like a hesitation I am experiencing. For example, driving 25 mph zone the RPM will be at 2,000 and flucuate up to 2,100 and back down to 2,000

With steady acceleration in the same gear? It's not as bad as what some people are reporting, some have had 500-1000 RPM fluctuations while on the highway.

Pasty Infidel
01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Yea it will do at steady acceleration and I drive my car a lot cause I have a 80 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. During that time I have never experienced this fluctuation?? Also I never experienced this jerky gear change thru 1 and 2 like its not grabbing like it should.

BravoZero
01-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Yea it will do at steady acceleration and I drive my car a lot cause I have a 80 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. During that time I have never experienced this fluctuation?? Also I never experienced this jerky gear change thru 1 and 2 like its not grabbing like it should.

What's the RPM range when shifting from 1-2? A lot of people have a "rev hang" from 1-2 at high RPM's, but doesn't happen through the rest of the gears.

MTZL
01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Throttle plays major role in smooth shifting.
Rpm will fluctuate to compensate throttle/speed/gear.

I have only notice rev hang in 1st gear @ 20-10mph coming from 2nd gear @ 40-30mph to red light* & back on throttle in 1st gear @ 20+mph about approx. 75%+ (guess-timate) throttle. *(red light at carpool lane freeway entrance)
It would rev up abit before it launches & would rev fast, & take off.
If I dont catch the 2nd gear fast enough it would hang.
It only does this in 1st gear. Once it didnt register upshift to 2nd maybe operator error.
This is all in Manual Normal mode.

This was part of the reason why I would lift before I shift, to shift smoother. After my SST tune it shift smoother but I would still lift because force of habit.

Not really an issue to me, more like safety thing.
Im sure these kinda of things can be tuned after we understand the 3d programing//hacking of mechatronics.

Pasty Infidel
01-09-2012, 09:16 AM
That's exactly what it's like almost is a "rev hang" coming out of first and going from 2nd to 3rd. I'd have to guesstimate my rpm range is about 3500-4000 thru the first two gears. Sometimes 2nd gear will feel like you car is in to high of gear for the speed the car is going. I do a lot of city driving (stop n go) so I usually let the computer handle the shifting lol. Drivin my last manual in that mess got to be a pain in the ass. If I do switch over for me to control the shifts I too let of the gas between shifts. The weird thing is this comes n goes? Like this morning the car seemed fine.

BravoZero
01-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Could vary depending on a lot of things, keep in mind that the SST is controlled by it's own computer and the car's ECU. So if the ECU is reading variations in humidity, temperature, load, etc, it'll tell the TCU when and how to shift.

It's best not to let off the gas in between shifts, the next gear won't engage properly until the engine is under load, so really the clutches do engage but the car gets confused until you press on the accelerator. The SST is designed to shift up and down while under load.

MTZL
01-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I tested it again today.

I think it is in the programming to protect 1st gear from abuse or lag or something else different entirely.

BravoZero
01-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Bryan had mentioned on EvoM that the V2.7 basemap almost eliminates the rev hang from 1-2, but I haven't tested it myself. It's in beta stage right now and going out to certain people for testing.

MTZL
01-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, He is busy man too.

I dont have necessary tools to upgrade to v2.7 yet.
Im always distracted or side tracked, Im keeping myself busy with different projects & havent took the time to tinker with ECU.

TheBlackBeast
01-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm almost at 58k, no slippage yet...
<knock on wood>

RalliNurse
01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
But do u guys think by changing the sst fluid might correct the issue?

BravoZero
01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
But do u guys think by changing the sst fluid might correct the issue?

It may, it may not. But the best thing to do is keep the fluid as clean as possible. If that means changing the fluid every 15k, do it. I plan on doing mine between 15k and 20k.

MTZL
01-11-2012, 10:13 AM
cooler fluids promote longevity. I wonder what the freezing temp on the fluids.

its been very cold here lately.

BravoZero
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
cooler fluids promote longevity. I wonder what the freezing temp on the fluids.

its been very cold here lately.

Word... but one thing's for sure, at least the transmission won't overheat.

MTZL
01-12-2012, 09:30 AM
^lol. 35 degree fahrenheit/ 4 degree Celsius. it is pretty cold.

Jfdfirefighter26
12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
New to the site and i was wondering if you ever figured out the solution to the problem i have 09 Ralliart 49000 on it with the exact same issue. Ive had it to the Mitsu dealership 2 times now and the say all fluids are good and they cant find anything wrong with it. Any advise or opinions are apriciated thanks.

Smeghead
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
New to the site and i was wondering if you ever figured out the solution to the problem i have 09 Ralliart 49000 on it with the exact same issue. Ive had it to the Mitsu dealership 2 times now and the say all fluids are good and they cant find anything wrong with it. Any advise or opinions are apriciated thanks.

Tell them to replace the tranny before your warranty expires lol

TrailBrake
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM

I know this offers little comfort, but you are not alone.

Several early Ralliarts have encountered similar issues. If your fluid has been changed regularly and the filter is clean, Mitsu will do very little for you until the tranny throws a code or starts skipping gears.

Jfdfirefighter26
12-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys pretty muchcwhat i figured guess ill just have to ride it out.

bholm6
01-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Sorry for opening up an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one... I started having more transmission issues unfortunately. The car has been shifting very hard in auto/manual (normal). Also it feels as if the clutches are slipping... When I go to give the car gas the rpms climb but it will jump from @3000 to 4200 ish. Its different depending on the gear I'm in but basically there is no smooth climb through the rpm band. I took it to the dealer and they found tiny metal particles in the transmission fluid which was black! :-( I bought the car with less than 42k miles on it and have put about 4k on it since I've had it. Luckily I'm still under warranty but I'm really hoping my transmission isn't done. Had to leave it at the dealership so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

crak
01-23-2013, 01:37 PM
They should have serviced the transmission fluid before selling it to you.

bholm6
01-23-2013, 07:11 PM
They should have serviced the transmission fluid before selling it to you.

I agree, but its also my fault for overlooking it at that point in time :(

crak
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
but how would you know that the trannys fluid needed to be changed? your not an expert, the dealership is and that is why you should tell them the car should have been in tip top shape to begin with when you got it from them. ie. fluids changed and topped off as thats the norm for when buying a car from a dealership.

bholm6
01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
I understand where you're coming from. True, this is the dealerships responsibility. Since a lot of dealers are pretty lousy I go above and beyond when looking at a used vehicle. In this case its not like I could go pull a sample of the transmission fluid as easy as I could check the coolant or brake fluid etc... Which brings me to another point, why the hell didn't Mitsubishi put a damn dip stick or something on the thing!? Anyway, I got the car back and its all better now.

crak
01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
lol. your question is as good as mine. automatic transmissions have a dip stick and you dont need to change the fluid for 200k. but ours do not have one and the fluid needs to be changes every 30k. Engineers are silly people. Dont ever change the cabin air filter in a mazda 3. its retarded. took me 2 hours to do my girlfriends cabin air filter.

I'm glad everything is all better with the tranny. Tell us what feels better about it now.

bholm6
01-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks. Well now when I get on it the rpms rise smoothly. Before it was very jumpy going from 3000-4200rpms. Smooth shifts at all speeds. Also there was some slight flux when going at lower speeds in 1st-4th gear, but thats all gone. The car drives better than when I first got it!

RolliE319
05-08-2013, 02:26 PM
So did anyone really answer the question on what causes the RPM surge at light throttle cruising? My Wifes 09 RA with 42000 miles started doing this and also started to shift funny 2,3,4 and rapidly shift 4,5,6 so the car was going 40mph in 6th gear.
Not sure if the surging is related to transmission, just inquiring?

Mkid
05-09-2013, 06:38 AM
By surge do you mean that the rpms wobble and jump?

RolliE319
05-09-2013, 06:42 AM
By surge I am talking steady throttle(not accelerating) in 5th gear at 2500RPM it will fluctuate about 500 RPM.

TrailBrake
05-09-2013, 06:50 AM
This may due to issues with the clutches. Mitsu now replaces clutch packs as a remedy. I know about this first-hand.

You should still have at least 6 months left on the powertrain warranty on your 09. If you have changed your SST fluid at the recommended interval for your region, corporate should take care of you.

Have your local dealer open up a tech case with backline engineering support. The dealer tech will run some diagnostics, often including running teach-in to see if that helps. If it doesn't, the dealer will send engineering a bunch of log files that will help to determine if the clutch pack replacement is in order.

BravoZero
05-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Since when are they doing clutch pack replacements? I dunno if I would even trust them to be doing that since they can't seem to fix things correctly half the time.

2010ralliartDM
05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Since when are they doing clutch pack replacements? I dunno if I would even trust them to be doing that since they can't seem to fix things correctly half the time.

I've never heard of mitsu changing clutch packs would be nice if they did .. I have the rpm fluctuation prob only in odd gears if I keep throttle steady it jumps up and down about 500-1000 rpm when it shifts it jumps 1500 rnp before catching next gear I get a cell though p181c (clutch 1 pressure high range out)

TrailBrake
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM

This started in March 2013, dealers in Ontario were sent the tools and clutch packs. I know of one dealer that has done this for an 2008 Evo X and 2009 Ralliart.

Given the obvious ineptitude of most dealerships, I would not be surprised of some bugger it up or avoid touching this type of repair all together.

2010ralliartDM
05-10-2013, 07:58 PM
I wonder if they do it in Manitoba

TrailBrake
05-10-2013, 08:11 PM
I wonder if they do it in Manitoba

Corporate will authorize the repair if the dealership jumps through all of their hoops (opening tech case, sending logs to them to analyze, etc.) Find one that will is going to be the hard part.

2010ralliartDM
05-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Are they replacing the clutches or the whole basket

TrailBrake
05-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Are they replacing the clutches or the whole basket

Big round heavy as heck thing, which I believe is the basket.

2010ralliartDM
05-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Hmm I wonder if they would sell it

RolliE319
05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
our surging experience changes each drive. automatic it is very noticeable, manual it will vary but definitely not as noticeable. could the basket seals that SSP offers cause the light slipping. my concern about warranty is the previous owner flashed the computer and told me the car was stock. I brought it in and the dealer screwed me by notifying mitsu. I am in the process of flashing it back to stock to start this process with a different dealer, but I think the vin has a flag on it from the first dealer.

zeRep85
05-12-2013, 01:17 PM
This started in March 2013, dealers in Ontario were sent the tools and clutch packs. I know of one dealer that has done this for an 2008 Evo X and 2009 Ralliart.

Given the obvious ineptitude of most dealerships, I would not be surprised of some bugger it up or avoid touching this type of repair all together.

hmm...interesting.

Too bad im at 75K miles and no longer had warranty! haha

TrailBrake
05-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Have a look at this thread from EvoM:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/658491-sst-technical-guide-rebuild-kits-here.html

These are the items I have seen replaced by the dealer, in that large round unit at the bottom.

TrailBrake
07-17-2013, 08:38 AM
To further my suspicion that Mitsu/Getrag revised the SST due to problems encountered with in 2008 EvoX MR and 2009-2010 Ralliarts, the following posting on EvoM makes reference to clutch issues in a 2010 RA.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/590240-09-ralliart-timing-chain-stretch-fml.html#post10888245