PDA

View Full Version : CBRD turbo coming soon

Insane11RA
01-17-2012, 02:51 PM
This coming February I'll be driving down to cbrd to get their turbo and a tune, I'm thinking 1500 bucks. Should I go higher or lower? It's time to read up on supporting mods as well, wish me luck! Oh and the obligatory, bye bye tranny!

RalliNurse
01-17-2012, 03:19 PM
What do u mean "bye bye trany"? R u gonna "beef-up" ur tanny? Do keep us posted...

BravoZero
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Nice, make sure you do plenty of reading on what to do and what not to do.

SubjecttoChange
01-18-2012, 10:14 AM

Word.

Insane11RA- Are you going with the CBRD upgrade for your current RA turbo or for a full on CBRD BBX?

Let us know how it goes and what you're planning on doing to support this mod. I'm thinking about their RA turbo upgrade as well.

Ralliart26
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Sweet! We can hit Mir up and race each other ;) Which turbo? Rad? You'll probably need injectors and fuel pump.

eyedreamt
01-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Sweet! We can hit Mir up and race each other ;) Which turbo? Rad? You'll probably need injectors and fuel pump.

Not unless he is on E85. The RAD flows a TINY bit more than the X turbo, and they can run full bolt-ons with stock fuel system. So he will be fine.

And good luck on $1500. I was quoted $895 for turbo, $650 install and $450 tune by CBRD.

WV_RtrGlow
01-18-2012, 01:23 PM
And good luck on $1500. I was quoted $895 for turbo, $650 install and $450 tune by CBRD.

Unless you already got tuned from cbrd...then i believe its 285?? But yeah..def higher than 1500

Exyia
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Not unless he is on E85. The RAD flows a TINY bit more than the X turbo, and they can run full bolt-ons with stock fuel system. So he will be fine.

I'd squeeze in injectors if possible. A stock X with bolt-ons can run out of fuel on stock fuel system. Mine with less room than I'd like at ~98% IDC (though it was very cold/thick the day it was tuned).

but for average users or those on a budget, they can be passed on and you'll still probably be more than happy. have fun :p

Ralliart26
01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Your trans should be fine, Mine will blow way before yours will... If your doing the Rad and you get a good tune the trans will do just fine... no need to worry jet!

Insane11RA
01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
What do u mean "bye bye trany"? R u gonna "beef-up" ur tanny? Do keep us posted...

Our weakest link is our tranny, or so they say. I won't be too greedy on hp gains , but you know what they say lol.

Insane11RA
01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Word.

Insane11RA- Are you going with the CBRD upgrade for your current RA turbo or for a full on CBRD BBX?

Let us know how it goes and what you're planning on doing to support this mod. I'm thinking about their RA turbo upgrade as well.

I'll start with the upgrade for now, see how that hold up.

Insane11RA
01-18-2012, 08:50 PM

Roger that baller :)

Insane11RA
01-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Correct, take the install out for I will be in the parking lot with my tools.

Insane11RA
01-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Your trans should be fine, Mine will blow way before yours will... If your doing the Rad and you get a good tune the trans will do just fine... no need to worry jet!

True true, you wanna come? So you can install the turbo hahaha! I'll definitely go to cbrd with or without a turbo upgrade, I want them to tune my car. My STi had too many tuners it didn't run 100% perfect, now I'm sticking with the best. AMS is not an option because they are just too far.

Ralliart26
01-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Our weakest link is our tranny, or so they say. I won't be too greedy on hp gains , but you know what they say lol.

Hp is no problem! the torque is what your have to worry about just keep it under 360 and your good

True true, you wanna come? So you can install the turbo hahaha! I'll definitely go to cbrd with or without a turbo upgrade, I want them to tune my car. My STi had too many tuners it didn't run 100% perfect, now I'm sticking with the best. AMS is not an option because they are just too far.

Installing it yourself will defiantly keep some coin in your pocket, If you wanted to do it yourself I could swing by and lend a hand ;) When in February are you going up? I wonder if they would dyno my car since I've only got the Virtual Dyno numbers too go off of.... If they would Id ride up there with you.

Insane11RA
01-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Hp is no problem! the torque is what your have to worry about just keep it under 360 and your good

Installing it yourself will defiantly keep some coin in your pocket, If you wanted to do it yourself I could swing by and lend a hand ;) When in February are you going up? I wonder if they would dyno my car since I've only got the Virtual Dyno numbers too go off of.... If they would Id ride up there with you.

I'll be buying the turbo February, I'll ride up mid march. Only problem I'm thinking about is driving an untuned turbo, that's a long drive lol.

wwralliart77
01-18-2012, 09:47 PM
I'll be buying the turbo February, I'll ride up mid march. Only problem I'm thinking about is driving an untuned turbo, that's a long drive lol.

^ Yeah I'd also be concerned with driving the vehicle with added on parts that haven't been accounted for via tuning.

Ralliart26
01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if you just swap too the rad with intake and exhaust mods, if kept out of boost it should be ok?

Insane11RA
01-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Easy to say lol, wonder if I can get an eflash from them so I could do the drive down there.

BravoZero
01-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if you just swap too the rad with intake and exhaust mods, if kept out of boost it should be ok?

He'd have to stay at 55 MPH the entire way, once you get up into 60 MPH or faster you're almost in boost. Keeping the car under 2500 RPM is also difficult especially with that long of a drive. Not impossible, however.

Mkid
01-19-2012, 07:37 AM
I had a friend with a MS6 that he put an upgraded turbo in and said "I'll just stay off the boost"

The car is currently in multiple pieces in his driveway and garage.

SubjecttoChange
01-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Agreed with Mkid. I'd steer clear of driving all together. It's way too tempting to stomp the go pedal-even out of habit. I have to save up the money to do everything at once... whenever I decide to do the RAD upgrade. I couldn't allow myself to do the install to save some $$- because I know I'd break my car on the way to get it tuned.

NFSLancerRA
01-22-2012, 08:38 AM
A stock X with bolt-ons can run out of fuel on stock fuel system.

This shouldn't be a problem. You can hit 400/400 and still be at less than 80-85% IDC.

NFSLancerRA
01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
You'll probably need injectors and fuel pump.

I made this claim a long time ago, and I would like to clear the air regarding the need for either of these modifications.

With the RAD, you most definitely do not need either one of these two things. I had to replace my injectors, because the fuel pump kit that I installed malfunctioned. The MAP kit is crap. It is not configured correctly and will do all kinds of funny things to your fuel system.

Also, the RAD may be rated to a slightly higher flow rate than the Evo X turbocharger, but you will never see that kind of power. You would have to boost the turbocharger WAY past 26 psi (which is where I was).

BravoZero
01-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I made this claim a long time ago, and I would like to clear the air regarding the need for either of these modifications.

With the RAD, you most definitely do not need either one of these two things. I had to replace my injectors, because the fuel pump kit that I installed malfunctioned. The MAP kit is crap. It is not configured correctly and will do all kinds of funny things to your fuel system.

Also, the RAD may be rated to a slightly higher flow rate than the Evo X turbocharger, but you will never see that kind of power. You would have to boost the turbocharger WAY past 26 psi (which is where I was).

So this is really a "modify-bolt on-tune-and-go" thing? I wonder if an aftermarket DP would be beneficial in this case. Since I'm going to be getting an older used Civic as my daily and driving the Ralliart whenever, I might go ahead and start saving up for the RAD. CBRD is about two hours from me, so I could simply take the car up there and drop it off to them and not have to worry about getting to work and back.

NFSLancerRA
01-22-2012, 12:20 PM
The interesting thing about my unique set of circumstances is that I have had the opportunity to drive (daily) a car equipped with one setup and then the other. The CBRD turbocharger was great. It was fun, but the power is nowhere near as potent as the Evolution X setup. If I had to do it again, I would get an X turbocharger, an MAP tubular manifold, an AMS or MAP "bigmouth" downpipe, full exhaust, and intake with pipes and intercooler. That would be the perfect setup for this car.

(Nobody tell Chad that I said that.)

Insane11RA
01-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Thank you for the info NSF , I think the RAD is the end for me. Evo X turbo is not really on my mind, good to know that I don't need a ton load of supporting mods.

Don't be hatin Tim!

Exyia
01-22-2012, 03:57 PM
please do find out IDC's from your tuner before you leave. I still bet they're maxed (or close to) on the RAD - just so the community can have a real answer

my injectors are maxed out on full bolt-ons (evo x). if the RAD flows slightly more, simple logic would tell me that it would max out as well.

NFSLancerRA
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
please do find out IDC's from your tuner before you leave. I still bet they're maxed (or close to) on the RAD - just so the community can have a real answer.

I make 374/373 @ 25 psi in my X, and my IDC's are AROUND 74% at WOT. I was nowhere near that level in my RA.

Exyia
01-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I make 374/373 @ 25 psi in my X, and my IDC's are AROUND 74% at WOT. I was nowhere near that level in my RA.

is your mod list any different from when you first got the car?

Here is the new car:
Modifications:
RobiSpec KW (custom) Coilovers
ACT 6-puck Clutch
AgencyPower CBE
COBB HFC
K&N Hi-Flow Filter
Injen UICP
CBRD Intercooler
Eibach (I think) Swaybars
AMS Shifter Bushings
EBC Yellowstuff Pads
StopTech Premium Rotors
COBB AccessPort

the air was extremely cold and thick (winter) when I tuned, so I know that has an effect. no idea how much, I'm no tuner :p

NFSLancerRA
01-22-2012, 08:29 PM
AGP CAI
AGP UICP
AGP LICP (4")
AGP IC (4")
GrimmSpeed 3-Port
COBB HFC
Agency Power CBE
Jestr Tune

NFSLancerRA
01-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I had to completely overhaul the transmission and transfer case, as well.

Pierre
01-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I knew you would be happy once jester tuned your car,

NFSLancerRA
01-29-2012, 04:17 PM
I knew you would be happy once jester tuned your car,

He did a great job. The new features that he installed with the tune were cool as hell. The SES light blinks if there is knock (which there never is). I can switch maps with the steering wheel buttons. There is a huge gap between a truly great tuner and the rest.

MTZL
01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I know MikeW@RRE & Bryan@GST can do those button programming.

SES light blink when there is a knock? Sounds interesting.
So does it work yet (the blinking SES light) ? :D

Exyia
01-30-2012, 11:33 AM
the blinking CEL/SES knocksum light is part of tephra mod (though it has way more features than that)

Insane11RA
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
A little update to this dream of me owning a RAD, I just bought a rear bumper for 600 last night because my local RA boys know about the nice dimple on my bumper. Stohlman wants 680 but luckily RusselM had a 10% off so I grabbed that right away, soooooooo this morning on my way home a freaking rock the size of a quarter came out of nowhere and BAM! I need a new windshield !
My budget went bye bye, with my leftover mod money I will probably buy a HF cat from UR and a tactrix cable. I'll tune the damn car by myself, wish me luck because I suck at tuning.

BravoZero
02-07-2012, 06:51 AM
A little update to this dream of me owning a RAD, I just bought a rear bumper for 600 last night because my local RA boys know about the nice dimple on my bumper. Stohlman wants 680 but luckily RusselM had a 10% off so I grabbed that right away, soooooooo this morning on my way home a freaking rock the size of a quarter came out of nowhere and BAM! I need a new windshield !
My budget went bye bye, with my leftover mod money I will probably buy a HF cat from UR and a tactrix cable. I'll tune the damn car by myself, wish me luck because I suck at tuning.

The rock to the windshield (or is it arrow to the knee?) thing sucks, had mine replaced not four months after getting the car after a truck threw a nice quarter sized rock up and cracked the hell out of it. My insurance policy doesn't cover windshield replacement and it wouldn't have mattered anyway since I have a $500 deductible. But damn that sucks man, good luck.

Get a couple of bolt-ons and a Tactrix and enjoy the car for now, get to know it a lot better before upgrading the turbo. Hell, I have another $8,000 on my credit card open and could easily do a lot of engine work, but I choose not to until later down the road.

Ralliart26
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM

Windshields just happen too be what I do for a living! Hit me up if you want a price on a windshield;) I also have a stone bruise kit if its not cracked. Alot cheaper

BravoZero
02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Windshields just happen too be what I do for a living! Hit me up if you want a price on a windshield;) I also have a stone bruise kit if its not cracked. Alot cheaper

Might hit you up as well, my Civic windshield needs to be replaced before summer.

Insane11RA
02-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Perfect! I'll also bring my tools to take care of the intercooler! You free Saturday?

@ Russ , yeah man my guy at the dealership said not yet not yet.

Ralliart26
02-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Perfect! I'll also bring my tools to take care of the intercooler! You free Saturday?

@ Russ , yeah man my guy at the dealership said not yet not yet.

Just call 2402983984 and my grandpa will get you all straight. We drive too your house or work and put it in haha i can bring the intercooler with me.

Insane11RA
02-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks a bunch Tim.

I'll be headed to CBRD and getting myself a tune, if anyone wants to drive along let me know.

Nv82
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
So does anyone know much power the cbrd turbo is supposed to produce over the stock turbo?

BravoZero
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks a bunch Tim.

I'll be headed to CBRD and getting myself a tune, if anyone wants to drive along let me know.

Wish I could, can't afford a tune or even the drive up there right now. I still need to get my gauges installed, X intercooler setup installed, and put the boost pill back in before I start doing anymore performance-related modding. I'd like to get a new downpipe and HFC, flash the GST V2.7 basemap for a TBE system, make sure it's running great then get a tune done on top of that to maximize what I have. My biggest concern is the transmission, and since Bryan has the SST running top notch on the V2.7 basemaps, I'd like to have a custom tune done on top of the basemap.

pbassist12
02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Wish I could, can't afford a tune or even the drive up there right now. I still need to get my gauges installed, X intercooler setup installed, and put the boost pill back in before I start doing anymore performance-related modding. I'd like to get a new downpipe and HFC, flash the GST V2.7 basemap for a TBE system, make sure it's running great then get a tune done on top of that to maximize what I have. My biggest concern is the transmission, and since Bryan has the SST running top notch on the V2.7 basemaps, I'd like to have a custom tune done on top of the basemap.

Ill be selling the downpipe in a couple months if your interested! :D

BravoZero
02-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Ill be selling the downpipe in a couple months if your interested! :D

Why are you selling it?

Insane11RA
02-11-2012, 05:40 AM
I have decided to go the evo X upgrade path, of course it will be after my warranty expires. Right now I get what I want from my dealership, let me milk that first. I bought a depo hfc for 200 shipped, that's all I have for this tune.

Insane11RA
02-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Here at CBRD right now, let's see how much power a drop in + boost pill + hfc + catback will make. I cant wait!

BravoZero
02-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Here at CBRD right now, let's see how much power a drop in + boost pill + hfc + catback will make. I cant wait!

Nice, let us know.

SubjecttoChange
02-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Nice! How's it going so far?

How do you have the restraint to not get the RAD while you're there?

...I mean BBX

Insane11RA
02-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Chad was great, free shirt, sticker and soda ftw! I will definitely be back, the drive was fun!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/Insane06STi/IMAG0070-1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/Insane06STi/IMAG0069.jpg

The sticker came after the tune, so I dunno maybe add 5 more hp :p

Insane11RA
02-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Nice! How's it going so far?

How do you have the restraint to not get the RAD while you're there?

...I mean BBX
Argh! It was sooo hard.

BTW my only mods with this tune:
1. GST Boost pill
2. Depo HFC
3. AMS catback
4. Cosworth drop in

BravoZero
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
So did you use one of the Basemaps and have Chad tweak it up a bit?

Insane11RA
02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Yep, he used the 2.5 and did like 6 pulls on the dyno. What do you think? Imagine Tims new turbo being tuned, hot daymn.

BravoZero
02-27-2012, 02:51 PM
For the parts you have, those are good numbers. Having the basemap as a tweakable tune really helps as well.

Insane11RA
02-27-2012, 02:57 PM
You know when you are in Tarmac + full auto? When you slow down on 2.5 from 4th to 3rd gear you can hear/feel the shift jerk a lil bit? It`s gone, woot on 5th is like a dream. Is it psychological? LOL! Must be!
I will be donating again to bryan.

RalliNurse
02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
You know when you are in Tarmac + full auto? When you slow down on 2.5 from 4th to 3rd gear you can hear/feel the shift jerk a lil bit? It`s gone, woot on 5th is like a dream. Is it psychological? LOL! Must be!
I will be donating again to bryan.

Hey did u drove from MD to CA? If so, how did the RA handle the long distance?
Good #s BTW :D

BravoZero
02-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Hey did u drove from MD to CA? If so, how did the RA handle the long distance?
Good #s BTW :D

No, he drove from MD to PA up to CBRD. He mentioned Bryan because he developed the GST basemaps, and Chad from CBRD works with Bryan all the time. He had a tune done on top of the GST map already flashed to the car. So basically just tweaking it more.