PDA

View Full Version : TheBlackBeast - Turns into a BEAST!

MikeW-RRE
08-06-2009, 05:57 PM
We had a chance to put TheBlackBeast (here on Club RalliArt) on the dyno and have some fun with it yesterday. First we did some baseline runs. It could be from the motor being more broken in (4,000 miles) compared to the last RalliArt I had on the dyno but this one was a little stronger. The last RalliArt I had was 211-215 hp. TheBlackBeast was just almost hitting 220 whp on our AWD Dynapack dyno.

Our plan was to do a very basic budget upgrade with the car. This car’s purpose is a daily driver commuter and we also wanted to keep everything stealthy, reliable and reversible.

We made a custom axle-back exhaust using the same stainless steel muffler that Magnaflow uses on their EVO X catback system. It sits sideways in the rear similar to the stock exhaust. We re-used some stock tips from an abandoned EVO X muffler and gave everything a high temp black coating. Sound is a little deeper, a little louder but not annoying. About like a stock EVO. The cat and mid pipe all stayed original and the stock muffler bolts right back on. $325 installed for it like this.

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/parts/rre/axleback/axleback-01.jpg

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/parts/rre/axleback/axleback-02.jpg

I think much more than this is overkill for the stock little turbo. Also here in So Cal we have some very oppressive police targeting modded “ricer” cars. You can get away with more if you look stock.

Then we put on a used stock EVO X intercooler. They are a little wider and much taller. Installing it is pretty straight forward. Mostly you just need some different couplers. He paid $200 for the used intercooler and we installed it for $150 including some couplers.

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/tech/evox-compare/intercooler-difference-evox.jpg

Intake and filter all stayed stock and original.

Back on the dyno the car picked up about 10 hp with just the parts. But it was getting a bit more knock showing up that I liked. On one of the three stock pulls the ECU pulled 2-3 degrees of timing from knock at one point in the mid-range.

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/dynos/theblackbeast/blackbeast-dyno-800.jpg

MikeW-RRE
08-06-2009, 05:59 PM
For tuning I opened up the wastegate solenoid 100% at full throttle. I didn’t use a boost pill on this car. The additional higher boost with the pill didn’t really make clean power. Just a lot of hot air. That was not what we were going for in this build.

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/dynos/theblackbeast/stock-tuned-boost-800.jpg

After tuning, TheBlackBeast is now truly a Beast! How about stock EVO power! Peak power is up roughly 40 hp over stock. But up at close to redline, power is up by 60whp!

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/dynos/theblackbeast/stock-tuned-hp-800.jpg

That has gotta be a fun car to drive now!

Prices worked out to:
RRE/Magnaflow Axleback Exhaust Installed $325
Used EVO X FMIC $200
Install EVO X I/C $150
Tuning/Dyno Time $450

Total spent for stock EVO X HP $1125

Who is next? ;-)

Mike W

justin81
08-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Man that is awesome!! Congrats BlackBeast!! I bet it's going to be a blast.

TheBlackBeast
08-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I've gotta say, HOLY CRAP RRE!!! This thing is ridiculous now! I can't describe in words how much faster this. Best bang for the dollar vs HP. It definitely is now ready for a track event...

Big thanks to Mike & all at RRE for bring the Beast to life! :D

TheBlackBeast
08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I forgot to mention - still has GREAT MPG!!!

I averaged 23-24mpg there other day in stop n go traffic. That quickly goes downhill though if my lead foot gets tired...

MTZL
08-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Congrats! Mike RRE and Black Beast! +60whp thats amazing for DD.
id you say EVO power for approx. 1,200? I wonder what it'll take to upgrade to TC-SST to Super Sport Mode and add S-AWC Yaw Control? Any words Mike?

Did yal get a chance to check out WORKS RA with EVO X Parts+Turbo? +150whp?

TheBlackBeast
08-07-2009, 03:55 PM
I could have dropped in an evo X turbo and associated hardware but that was another 1200-1500 bucks I just don't have currently... That would easily deliver over 300+HP to the wheels...

justin81
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Seeing these gains makes me wish 2 things. I lived closer to RRE, and I hadn't promised the wife I wouldn't mod until the warranty is up. What was I thinking. :confused:

HiggsRA
08-08-2009, 04:28 PM
wicked exciting to see these results++++ where are you guys located?

TheBlackBeast
08-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Sounds like someone lacked planning when negotiating with the wifey... :) I hope you only meant the 30k factory warrenty n not the extended warrenty.

RRE is located in Santa Fe Springs. Address is on their website at www.roadraceengineering.com

Ladogaboy
08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I think Mike and I have some talking to do. :p

Unfortunately, the conversation is going to have to wait for the paycheck. :(

TheBlackBeast
08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
A couple weeks later and I still can't believe how awesome this tune is. I seem to be averaging 20 mpg on it, 16/17 if I'm in sport with paddle shifting mode active, 23/24 if I really baby it. Not too bad for a tuned car that is a DD. I will be driving to the ALMS season finale in October so we will see how it does on distance driving.

toredefine
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
When the intercooler was changed to the Evo X IC, was the original RA upper piping used? I thought the RA upper piping was longer than stock Evo X, which means it's too long to fit an Evo X IC.

MikeW-RRE
08-24-2009, 05:36 PM
thats a nice 230 whp car :)

get some exhaust work done, and toss an intake in, and then ull be in the 250 range and feel a real difference

(i know the dyno says 260 whp, but his base was 30 higher then it really is, simple math pegs him at 230 real whp which is great :) )

Huh? Splain please.

I have 4 stock RalliArts dynoing at 212, 216, 226 and 225 hp. The Dynapack dyno we have gives numbers that are higher than the silly low numbers of a Mustang dyno right in there with many other dynos and a little lower than a couple AWD Dynojets.

I paid $120,000 to Dynapack for real numbers. There are no pretend number here.

Mike W

MikeW-RRE
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
When the intercooler was changed to the Evo X IC, was the original RA upper piping used? I thought the RA upper piping was longer than stock Evo X, which means it's too long to fit an Evo X IC.

When the shop guys do the swap, they use the RalliArt intercooler outlet hose coupler on the inlet of the EVO X intercooler and they found some other cast off factory intercooler coupler to use on the outlet to the factory RalliArt piping. For us it is just playing with hose. Granted we have a lot of hose to play with. But it is a simple deal.

Mike W

i_drivecode3
12-23-2010, 12:10 AM
i'm sold. i know my goals now. :D

blackbeast: hey noticed you're in south oc. i work in lake forest. would it be possibly to meet up sometime in the future i'd like to hear the exhaust in person. thanks

TheBlackBeast
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Just noticed your post - sorry about that. I'd love to meetup but it will have to wait awhile as I am still recovering from a surgery I had.

MTZL
01-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Blackbeast Sighting! Sup Steve, How've you been?

TheBlackBeast
01-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey MTZL!

Doing alright - thanks for asking!

MTZL
01-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Hey MTZL!

Doing alright - thanks for asking!

So you're still recovering? physical therapy?

TheBlackBeast
01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I've been in a cast for 3 weeks - 3 more weeks to go... No weight bearing until I get cast off. Last night i dreamed I forgot about that and I was walking on it. It felt so good to walk in my dream!

After that 6 weeks in a brace. I'm guessing PT will be involved but doc hasn't spoke of it yet.

Jackal
01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Good luck with the recovery, take your time and do it right.

TheBlackBeast
01-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks - I have no desire to do this again...

RalliNurse
01-24-2011, 03:59 PM
hey beast...need a nurse...call me...:D

zeRep85
01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
hey beast...need a nurse...call me...:D

A Head Nurse?!?!? No Homo. ;)

RRE MEET WHEN STEVE GETS BETTER!

RalliNurse
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Damn...Oz...u aint right...:p