PDA

View Full Version : Headlight upgrade

ChimeZ
01-27-2012, 09:55 PM
My wife is less than pleased with the illumination provided by her factory headlights.

Could anyone suggest an upgrade that will illuminate the road better for her that I could install for a reasonable price?

Thanks.

wwralliart77
01-27-2012, 10:06 PM
You can always install some aftermarket HIDs (High Intensity Discharge) lights. I believe the number you'll need is 9006 and they come in different brightnesses with the corresponding color. I say your best bet is the 6k option which is a bright white and looks the most factory.

Scarab23
01-27-2012, 10:50 PM
^ thats correct

you could also get the projectors. will be costly to do so but i always found projectors made it easier to see, theres less light lost form the bulb than regular lamps i think

GAbOS
01-27-2012, 11:31 PM
I agree. If/When I swap to HID for the headlights, I will be using projectors with them. Better beam/pattern control. By better, I mean, w/o the projectors you have next to none. :)

BravoZero
01-28-2012, 06:52 AM
ChimeZ, what car does your wife drive?

ChimeZ
01-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, any suggestions on a manufacturer for the kits. I never upgraded headlamps and am not sure what companies have reputable products. Aside of course Hella, KC etc. Not even sure if they make kits like that.

Bravo, the wife has a 2011 Ralliart rotor glow in color that she loves more than me.
It's factory for the most for now however she did have me install a underglow kit that matches the paint. I thought the neon would be cheesy, but, have to admit it does look good.

BravoZero
01-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, any suggestions on a manufacturer for the kits. I never upgraded headlamps and am not sure what companies have reputable products. Aside of course Hella, KC etc. Not even sure if they make kits like that.

Bravo, the wife has a 2011 Ralliart rotor glow in color that she loves more than me.
It's factory for the most for now however she did have me install a underglow kit that matches the paint. I thought the neon would be cheesy, but, have to admit it does look good.

The best thing to do is to upgrade to a HID kit, but then you run the risk of being stopped by local police because of how bright they are with the halogen headlight assembly. There are some aftermarket headlights for the current generation Lancer now, dunno about the quality though. You could always find a pair of OEM projectors but that's very costly.

Try using Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, I have those in my Ralliart and they're MUCH better than the OEM bulbs. In fact, Sylvania has a new brighter "HID alternative" bulb out now that is supposed to contain xenon gas for a HID effect without the actual HID's. I'm going to give them a try soon.

kenshin1015
02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
i have 6k hids with original headlight assembly no issues with police

MTZL
02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Try using Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, I have those in my Ralliart and they're MUCH better than the OEM bulbs. In fact, Sylvania has a new brighter "HID alternative" bulb out now that is supposed to contain xenon gas for a HID effect without the actual HID's. I'm going to give them a try soon.

I have the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra better than stock but it is no HID.
I would buy HID but the flicker sometimes doesnt work right.
HID are not that expensive anymore.

Now HID LED are the new craze. People claim it is brighter. 100 LUMENS PER WATT! So if you had 1.21 Jiggawatts, you can travel back to the future. ;D

Never tried it myself, sounds interesting if I had the money maybe I will light up the road more.

Link here: http://www.malibuaerospace.com/sitepages/pid73.php

Drew
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
I went to a 6000 kelvin HID kit a few months ago and I LOVE it. It makes a big difference, and since we have reflector in reflector halogen headlights, they aren't "white outs" like the kids in the hondas. Mine actually have a pretty good cut off still, but the light is much brighter and crisper.

xwxspawnxwx
02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I actually talked about this with my dealer as I wanted to know the cost of OEM HIDs if I ever decided to switch.

They told me it would actually void my warranty so I would double check first. They are pretty good about everything else like exhaust, etc. but HID was a no no even if they put it the OEM themselves.

BravoZero
02-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I actually talked about this with my dealer as I wanted to know the cost of OEM HIDs if I ever decided to switch.

They told me it would actually void my warranty so I would double check first. They are pretty good about everything else like exhaust, etc. but HID was a no no even if they put it the OEM themselves.

Which of course is the typical response from them. The factory HID headlights are a simply bolt-on, plug and play item, hell the button for the level adjustment is already pre-wired. Just plug in the switch and the headlights and the CANBUS system takes over from there.

xwxspawnxwx
02-07-2012, 01:20 PM
They said it's because of the electrical output of the HIDs

BravoZero
02-07-2012, 01:40 PM
They said it's because of the electrical output of the HIDs

Even with the factory HID setup? That makes no sense. The car is wired for it, there's nothing different in the wiring harness between the factory halogen and HID setups, only the headlight assemblies and the headlight leveling switch, which are both plug and play.

Stupid Mitsubishi.:rolleyes:

MTZL
02-07-2012, 01:46 PM
*no stupid dealers & corporate.* *fixed* ;)

NFSLancerRA
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Dealers will do this (or should). It costs $2,500 (almost dead on the money). With that, you will get the complete MR HID setup. The best thing to do is have a set of GSR headlights retrofitted to run projectors and buy a set of HID's. I know someone who can do this, if anyone is interested. Total cost is AROUND $1,100.

BravoZero
02-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Dealers will do this (or should). It costs $2,500 (almost dead on the money). With that, you will get the complete MR HID setup. The best thing to do is have a set of GSR headlights retrofitted to run projectors and buy a set of HID's. I know someone who can do this, if anyone is interested. Total cost is AROUND $1,100.

Is that just the cost of fabrication and the projectors retrofitted, or does that cover the cost of the GSR halogen headlights as well?

NFSLancerRA
02-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Is that just the cost of fabrication and the projectors retrofitted, or does that cover the cost of the GSR halogen headlights as well?

That covers everything (bulbs, ballast, housings, labor, projector assembly, etc.). If you want Halo's, it will cost extra.

NFSLancerRA
02-09-2012, 07:33 AM
I believe that the projector assembly comes from an Acura TSX, in case anyone is interested. It looks great. To my knowledge, you can re-wire the DRLs to power the Halo rings, if you choose that setup.

BravoZero
02-09-2012, 08:51 AM
I believe that the projector assembly comes from an Acura TSX, in case anyone is interested. It looks great. To my knowledge, you can re-wire the DRLs to power the Halo rings, if you choose that setup.

So if I wanted to do this, what do I need to provide to them or what would I need to do?

NFSLancerRA
02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
So if I wanted to do this, what do I need to provide to them or what would I need to do?

GSR regular headlights (or Ralliart headlights).

Here is the price breakdown:

FX-R projector $125-135 (a pair)
Mini H1 projector $90-110 (a pair)
Shroud $20-50 (a pair)
CCFL Halo (if you like): $45 (a pair)
Rebutyl: $50
Epoxy: $25
HID Kit: $55-65 a set

I believe that labor cost is contingent on a number of factors. If you are really interested, PM me and I will send you the contact information of the guy who does it.

Here is a link to his FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Coast-Custom-Lighting/141968852583300

Drew
02-09-2012, 09:59 AM
The aftermarket has FINALLY caught up to our headlight deficiencies. It no longer cost $1300 to buy a set of aftermarket projectors. Not saying a retrofit isn't a good solution too, but buying these still give you the option to go back to stock. There are several styles now, like chrome and black. These just came out not too long ago. I have been eye balling them pretty close...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2012-Mitsubishi-Lancer-EVO-10-LED-CCFL-Halo-Projector-Head-Light-Lamp-BLACK-/230741701460?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALancer|Year%3A2009&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b946f354

BravoZero
02-09-2012, 10:11 AM
The aftermarket has FINALLY caught up to our headlight deficiencies. It no longer cost $1300 to buy a set of aftermarket projectors. Not saying a retrofit isn't a good solution too, but buying these still give you the option to go back to stock. There are several styles now, like chrome and black. These just came out not too long ago. I have been eye balling them pretty close...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2012-Mitsubishi-Lancer-EVO-10-LED-CCFL-Halo-Projector-Head-Light-Lamp-BLACK-/230741701460?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALancer|Year%3A2009&vxp=mtr&hash=item35b946f354

I'm with you on that. A little bit of research needs to be done on all of these aftermarket solutions and see which ones are really worth the money. I had a set of Sonar aftermarket projectors in my Eclipse and other than the occasional fogging depending on the weather, they were excellent.

NFSLancerRA
02-09-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't know if I would go with those projectors. I have had issues in the past with eBay lights. I am forever wary of products that are untested from eBay.

SnipeRA
02-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I am working on a retrofit right now i got a complete kit from here. Great price and great service couldn't be happier

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

MTZL
02-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Nice Find SnipeRA!
Great price for DIYer like me. :)

Drew
02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't know if I would go with those projectors. I have had issues in the past with eBay lights. I am forever wary of products that are untested from eBay.

I kinda hear what you are saying, but there is a big difference between $100 ebay cheapo lights and a nice set of $500 projectors for our cars. Just because it comes from ebay doesn't make it junk. But I agree that I will need some real world opinions on these before I buy a set. But I would trust parts that are injection molded into the right shape before cutting and epoxying projectors into housings that aren't made to hold them.

MTZL
02-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Ebay ones tend to get condensation but you can easily fix that by taking your time & doing a silicon seal neatly.

Depends on your budget vs your time.

Although some expensive Headlight housing do have defects here & there.
Sometimes you get what you paid for, sometimes you dont.

With ebay stuff, most of them doesnt fit right & need some TLC.

NFSLancerRA
02-09-2012, 05:17 PM
The only reason that I advocate retro-fitting is that you can literally get any combination that your heart desires. Want red lenses/demon halos? No problem. Want neon strips for blinkers? You can have that, too.

Plus, the guy who I am recommending has done a set of Evo X lights, already, and warranties his work. Can't beat that.

SnipeRA
02-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Also if you decide not to go with the guy NFSLancerRA has suggested and want to tackle the retrofit yourself you can check out this forum has everything you could want to know about retrofitting

www.hidplanet.com

MTZL
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
http://www.clubralliart.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10139/normal_Retrofit.JPG

maybe not.. depends on the budget. Looks pretty cool.

NFSLancerRA
02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
I think that I am going to nix this project. I was pretty happy with the 4k/5k PIAA lights that I had on the RA. I never needed more than that, plus it is pretty easy to blackout the stock headlamps. If I need more light, I will go with something else, but I doubt that I will need to.

bossssman38
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
I think blacking out the stockers look pretty good. I just gotta find a writeup or guide from someone who has done it before.

Mkid
02-14-2012, 09:26 PM
http://www.clubralliart.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10139/normal_Retrofit.JPG

maybe not.. depends on the budget. Looks pretty cool.

Those are amazing. Why isn't stuff like this mass produced?

BravoZero
02-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Those are amazing. Why isn't stuff like this mass produced?

These and the other brand are on eBay already. Honestly, I'm not a fan of either. Especially these, they look way too cheap.

Mkid
02-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Oh wow, those weren't around last time I looked. I thought they were custom. They look much better than the previous ebay headlights I've seen. Although ebay headlights... meh. I wish they came from a reputable source.

MTZL
02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Not ebay headlights. Maybe they've ended up on ebay. Wouldn't be surprised.
They are called/named 'spyder' kinda like what mitsu call convertibles.

MTZL
02-15-2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.carid.com/2008-mitsubishi-lancer-headlights/spyder-halo-led-projector-headlights-395878.html

Place that carry em is CarID. Dont know about fitment or quality.
I do want to try it out if/when I have money for it.

This smoke one is the most expensive one.
http://www.clubralliart.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10139/normal_Smoked.JPG

I may end up getting this chrome one.

http://www.clubralliart.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10139/normal_Chrome.JPG

Drew
02-15-2012, 01:04 PM
If I am putting projectors in my car, I will definitely get a set of these before I drop over 1k for oem or retrofit projectors, unless these start to get horrible fitment and quality reviews. And honestly I don't see how they could. They aren't a set of $100 "ebay" chinese honda projectors. They are still $400. You can't beat the price. As far as looking cheap, I don't think so at all. I am REALLY not a fan of halos or "audi" leds in the headlight, but I think these will look alot less cheap than cutting a big fat hole in an oem headlights and epoxying in projectors. Granted some guys glue in the old projectors well and get them aligned right, my headlight is still "glued" in.

Mkid
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
^ agreed. I do wish they were cheaper though but I guess you get what you pay for.

MTZL
02-15-2012, 01:22 PM
I was just throwing options out there.
Hopefully someone with modified/aftermarket/diy/custom housing can write up a review on different setup they have. Always nice to read review from different perspectives.

It will be a long time before I get to replacing the headlights, so you wont see me with em on or write a review anytime soon.

All car mfg copy each other. Why they try to mask out their car before production & still end up looking similar. Audi are overpriced.
Their interior as not durable either. Glove compartment always break.
I always wanted an Audi til I saw the price range they go for.
No thank you. I will buy another RA SB before an Audi. :D