PDA

View Full Version : fuel in oil

reaperr
02-16-2012, 06:18 AM
I have a 2010 RA and I've been changing the oi l(2 times) since i got it. I use full synthetic mobil 1 5-w30. But when I do the oil change, I can smell fuel in the oil. I just checked my oil after driving it for 10 miles home from work, and I can smell it on the dipstick as well the dipstick shows me having bout a quart over the max. anyone else have this prob or know what it is??

wwralliart77
02-16-2012, 09:31 AM
I have had the same issue with my RA. There are quite a few things that may be attributing to this issue. A short driving cycle that doesn't allow the engine to fully warm up, perhaps a faulty fuel pressure regulator, leaking fuel injectors, worn engine parts or bad spark plugs that result in a poor fuel burn.

Basically excess fuel that is not being burned is overflowing into the oil sump, meaning you're running a tad rich. Also if your vehicle has a misfire, the excess gas that is not burned can get into your oil.

Having gasoline in your oil isn't good for the engine as it dilutes the oil. This robs the oil it of it's lubricating properties, resulting in accelerated engine wear and bad engine deposits. Best bet is to change the oil and filter right away and get the vehicle checked out by the dealer.

Mkid
02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Do you have any mods?

reaperr
02-16-2012, 10:51 AM
I was actually thinking bout replacing the spark plugs with hotter burning ones, but now I'll just change the oil and get it checked out by the dealer.
Also since you said you have had the same problem, how did you fix it?

reaperr
02-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Do you have any mods?

only mod I have is a K&N drop in air filter.

razorlab
02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
It's fairly normal for turbocharged mitsus.

Jackal
02-16-2012, 07:05 PM
It's fairly normal for turbocharged mitsus.

+1 on this as Mitsu Turbo engines always run rich which means good chance fuel vapours etc are getting into crank case and eventually into the oil a little bit at a time. Just change your oil sooner as in the extreme duty schedule instead of the reg schedule no matter how nice you treat / drive your car. It's just cheap insurance as the dealership will will check your oil as one of the first trouble shooting steps should you have an issue.