PDA

View Full Version : Borla Exhaust

xwxspawnxwx
02-17-2012, 06:51 AM
So I have a Borla Exhaust for the Ralliart on the way.... Catback Part# 140334

Now I'm defiantly no techy car guy when it comes to playing around with the engine, etc. like most of you guys/gals on this forum but I do like to learn new things and do these things myself.

I guess I just want to see if you have any input based on the installation of this.... if any of you have this Borla or similar exhaust system.

Is there any modifications that I will have to do?
Is a tune required? (as far as right now I just have a drop in)

Reason why I'm asking is because I want to careful when putting this on and I want to do it right. I'm reading some parts will cause the computer system to go all nuts and some exhausts will cause some engine problems (but i'm guessing they are not catback but full systems which requires a tune?)

BravoZero
02-17-2012, 06:58 AM
So I have a Borla Exhaust for the Ralliart on the way.... Catback Part# 140334

Now I'm defiantly no techy car guy when it comes to playing around with the engine, etc. like most of you guys/gals on this forum but I do like to learn new things and do these things myself.

I guess I just want to see if you have any input based on the installation of this.... if any of you have this Borla or similar exhaust system.

Is there any modifications that I will have to do?
Is a tune required? (as far as right now I just have a drop in)

Reason why I'm asking is because I want to careful when putting this on and I want to do it right. I'm reading some parts will cause the computer system to go all nuts and some exhausts will cause some engine problems (but i'm guessing they are not catback but full systems which requires a tune?)

Ah ha, I can answer this for ya based on my experience with the Borla.

The Borla catback system is a full bolt-on system, which involves just removing the OEM midpipe and OEM muffler. You will reuse the OEM exhaust hangars, so make sure you have some type of WD-40 or equivalent handy as it will help with lubricating the hangars to get the stock stuff off easier.

Even on the factory ECU ROM, you will be perfectly fine with a catback and drop-in filter, based on my experience. Now, once you get into upgrading the intake, intercooler and piping, downpipe and either a highflow cat or test pipe, then a tune is required.

My opinion... install the Borla, add a K&N filter or any drop-in, flash the GST V2.7 basemap tune for the stock pill, and have fun. You'll be glad you did.

xwxspawnxwx
02-17-2012, 07:04 AM
Thanks BZ. Quick Response and exactly what I was looking for.

BravoZero
02-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks BZ. Quick Response and exactly what I was looking for.

Anytime man!

Believe me when I say, once you get that Borla installed, you'll have the biggest, stupidest grin on your face for quite a while. You think the videos sound good, wait until you start it for the first time with it installed. It sounds SOOOOO nice, has a nice "muscle" tone to it. :D

Drew
02-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Now, once you get into upgrading the intake, intercooler and piping, downpipe and either a highflow cat or test pipe, then a tune is required.

I am not so sure about needing a tune when you do intercooler and piping. I say this because I have been running the X intercooler and piping with no problems at all on the GST maps for over a year. Intercoolers really don't change the amount of air that the stock car can ingest. That's why I think a tune isn't required. To get the most out of an upgrade, you always need to tune. But bolting on an X intercooler and piping and driving on the GST maps have worked very well with me. I wonder if there is anyone that has had problems from a simple intercooler upgrade. Now I am curious.

Bryan, where are you???? :D

xwxspawnxwx
02-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Anytime man!

Believe me when I say, once you get that Borla installed, you'll have the biggest, stupidest grin on your face for quite a while. You think the videos sound good, wait until you start it for the first time with it installed. It sounds SOOOOO nice, has a nice "muscle" tone to it. :D

Trust me I can not wait =). This is the first Spring/Summer for my Ralliart so time to have some fun with it.

BravoZero
02-17-2012, 07:29 AM
I am not so sure about needing a tune when you do intercooler and piping. I say this because I have been running the X intercooler and piping with no problems at all on the GST maps for over a year. Intercoolers really don't change the amount of air that the stock car can ingest. That's why I think a tune isn't required. To get the most out of an upgrade, you always need to tune. But bolting on an X intercooler and piping and driving on the GST maps have worked very well with me. I wonder if there is anyone that has had problems from a simple intercooler upgrade. Now I am curious.

Bryan, where are you???? :D

Yes, because you stated you are on the GST basemaps, he isn't. Technically, the basemaps are considered a "tune", but it shouldn't be considered a full-blown custom tune and those should always be done to get the most out of your setup. With a bigger intercooler you are changing the temperature of the air going into the engine, so it's better safe than sorry to run at least a basemap with even a full X intercooler setup.

Drew
02-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Yes, because you stated you are on the GST basemaps, he isn't. Technically, the basemaps are considered a "tune", but it shouldn't be considered a full-blown custom tune and those should always be done to get the most out of your setup. With a bigger intercooler you are changing the temperature of the air going into the engine, so it's better safe than sorry to run at least a basemap with even a full X intercooler setup.

I really don't think that is the case. Even with no tune, I am pretty sure that you can put an evo X intercooler on a bone stock, stock ROM RA and it work just fine. Yes you are changing the air intake temps, but so does mother nature. Since the car can be used in many environments from -30 to 110+, the MAF and ECU don't have any problems with temperature change. It can compensate just fine. It's when you cross the threshold of increased airflow that it has problems. Like I said, I'm not completely certain on this, but logically I don't see how changing the air intake temperature would affect the stock, or any other "tune". Retune to optimize gains, yes. Would it have any negative affects or put the engine in danger if you didn't? I really don't think so.

Think about it this way. Our cars have more power during cold weather, even bone stock. That means the stock airflow management system senses denser air and adds more fuel. Adding an intercooler just makes the ecu think it's a few degrees colder outside.

Drew
02-17-2012, 08:00 AM
I almost got the Borla, but a great deal on the AMS fell in my lap, so I couldn't resist. But the sound clips online sound great. Maybe one day, you and I can meet up, Bravo, just to hear them side by side.

BravoZero
02-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Again, better safe than sorry, considering the sensitive state of the sensors and other electronics. This is my approach at this, so YMMV.

Drew, I'm having Mach V install new Swift springs on my BC's soon so I'll hit you up when I'm up that way and maybe you could meet up there.

Insane11RA
02-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Mach V again? They suck at installing those.

BravoZero
02-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Mach V again? They suck at installing those.

They've been great to me so far, and they are a certified dealer and installer for both BC Racing and Swift products, as well as Whiteline suspension parts.

Insane11RA
02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
How much do they charge? You have one in fairfax, very close to you.

BravoZero
02-17-2012, 08:46 AM
How much do they charge? You have one in fairfax, very close to you.

Moore Automotive?

Insane11RA
02-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Yep, they tune also. Btw, no work today?

BravoZero
02-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Yep, they tune also. Btw, no work today?

I'm at work, just not as busy as usual, hence why I am very active on here today lol.

xwxspawnxwx
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Just to double check. I'm putting on the borla tomorrow. I understand it's a direct replacement but do I have to worry about any lights turning on or will it be fine since it's only catback.

BravoZero
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Just to double check. I'm putting on the borla tomorrow. I understand it's a direct replacement but do I have to worry about any lights turning on or will it be fine since it's only catback.

100% bolt on, no modifications needed in any way.

If you're running a tune or one of the GST basemaps, do some logging to make sure everything looks ok just in case. Let us know how it goes!

xwxspawnxwx
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Alright Thx for Quick Reply!