PDA

View Full Version : advice on wheels

kenshin1015
03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
hey guys I'm in the market for new wheels and would like some advice on some nice wheels out there. I don't know many sites and want other ideas aside from rota grids. Kinda tired of seeing them. Any help would be great thanks

NFSLancerRA
03-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I advise you to post more information. This is an unnecessarily vague post. What do you want these wheels, for? Will you be tracking the car? How aggressive do you want to go? What style of wheels do you prefer? Are you looking to buy cheap knockoffs or the real deal wheels? Do you know the difference? How wide do you want to go? Are you willing to roll/pull your fenders?

Realistically, we can only advise you once you have a list of options. Good places to start:

Enkei RC-T4
Enkei Raijin
Enkei GSR Wheels
Enkei RPF1
BBS MR Wheels
5Zigen FNOR1C
5Zigen GN+
XXR 530, 527, 521 (really cheap)

MB Battles are also popular, but they are really cheap and don't ever seem to balance, correctly. Varrs-Toen wheels are decent. I have a set of 2.2.1's on my Evolution X, right now. I would never track the car with them on, but that is why I have my factory Enkei's. Work wheels are great. Volk wheels are great. ROTA is okay, but they are merely knockoffs of the real thing (sorry if you already knew that).

Good Sites:

wotm.com (Wide-Open Throttle Motorsports)
nlmotoring.com
WheelStudio.com
SonicMotors.com
TireRack (they have some OZ wheels that are hard to find)
Gruppe-S Racing
TougeFactory.com
VividRacing.com (friends of mine)

NFSLancerRA
03-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I would also like to add that I have personally ordered at least one part from each of those vendors, except for Sonic Motors and Gruppe-S. However, the guys at Varr-Toen vouch for Sonic Motors, and Gruppe-S comes very highly recommended from friends.

BravoZero
03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
That list of vendors seems very legit, I've heard of most of them and have seen great feedback.

GAbOS
03-11-2012, 12:05 AM
TSW is another I would add to the list. The Nurburgring's (http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_nurburgring.php) look great sitting still and roll nice too. I have yet to paint my calipers. :(

TWasRall1art
03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
How wide could you go without having to get a rollout?

BravoZero
03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
How wide could you go without having to get a rollout?

That really depends on a lot of things:

-wheel size/width
-offset
-tire size/width
-ride height
-camber

At stock height or about an inch lower, you can get away with OEM EvoX wheels, which are 18x8.5 et38, with a simple fender roll. That's also with the 245/40-18 tire.

TWasRall1art
03-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Yeah I'm looking into getting 18x8.5s and I planned on eventually going and inch or so lower, so that's perfect.

BravoZero
03-26-2012, 07:26 PM
With a simple fender roll you'll be fine, provided you stick with a 35 offset or higher. The factory wheels are 18x7 with a 46 offset.

My current wheels are 18x8, 45 offset with 235/40-18 tires, at -1.7 camber in the rear I don't rub at all. But then again it's not completely flush either.

Markspd6
03-27-2012, 06:15 PM
ive rolled several Evo 8,9 and Xs, just recently rolled my RA and another member heres RA sportback, due to mfgr variations, all fenders are slightly diff distances from the hub, and on each car theyre actually asymmetrical. usually closer on the driver side(depends on mfgr) the RA wagon being slightly wider overall than my RA sedan.. and from a technical point of view most of the clearance work i do on cars isnt even rolling, its grinding the bumper coupler down, the coupler on the RA sportback is huge!! it has a large piece of white plastic holding it in, not great for lowering IMO... the sedan has the same, but alot smaller, i also ground(tapered) the painted bumper to get smoother lines and a bit more clearance..

for anyone looking to change wheels ever!! id rec doing a roll just to be safe, if you ever wanna try somebodys used wheels/tires out, youll feel alot better trying them out with rolled fenders.. and once the fenders been bent, it can become worse during the roll. so for the money its a wise investment.. even if you have to it 2X..

if its done well with an eastwood roller, you wont notice it all on this car!!

kenshin1015
03-31-2012, 01:03 PM
I advise you to post more information. This is an unnecessarily vague post. What do you want these wheels, for? Will you be tracking the car? How aggressive do you want to go? What style of wheels do you prefer? Are you looking to buy cheap knockoffs or the real deal wheels? Do you know the difference? How wide do you want to go? Are you willing to roll/pull your fenders?

Realistically, we can only advise you once you have a list of options. Good places to start:

Enkei RC-T4
Enkei Raijin
Enkei GSR Wheels
Enkei RPF1
BBS MR Wheels
5Zigen FNOR1C
5Zigen GN+
XXR 530, 527, 521 (really cheap)

MB Battles are also popular, but they are really cheap and don't ever seem to balance, correctly. Varrs-Toen wheels are decent. I have a set of 2.2.1's on my Evolution X, right now. I would never track the car with them on, but that is why I have my factory Enkei's. Work wheels are great. Volk wheels are great. ROTA is okay, but they are merely knockoffs of the real thing (sorry if you already knew that).

Good Sites:

wotm.com (Wide-Open Throttle Motorsports)
nlmotoring.com
WheelStudio.com
SonicMotors.com
TireRack (they have some OZ wheels that are hard to find)
Gruppe-S Racing
TougeFactory.com
VividRacing.com (friends of mine)
this is exactly what i was looking for. Only other question was the offset to avoid rolling fenders and that was given too. thanks for all the info. I think I'm going with either the tsw's or 527's. What about that negative camber? why was it necessary or was it?

NFSLancerRA
03-31-2012, 08:11 PM
this is exactly what i was looking for. Only other question was the offset to avoid rolling fenders and that was given too. thanks for all the info. I think I'm going with either the tsw's or 527's. What about that negative camber? why was it necessary or was it?

You will know when you buy the tires (because that is a big factor, as well). Don't run retarded camber to make it fit. If you have to roll the fenders, roll the fenders. I have had it done twice to these cars (RA and GSR). It is easy.

NFSLancerRA
03-31-2012, 08:13 PM
I have another wheel to throw into the mix:

Rota P-45F

http://www.rotawheels.com/images/products/p45f_1.jpg

The higher offset version is a PERFECT match to the LM-GT4.

The real thing:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/attachments/wheels-tires/43991d1226457449-lmgt4-center-caps-nengun_1518_02_raysengineering_nismo___lm_gt4.jpg

kenshin1015
04-01-2012, 11:46 AM
damn that's a nice wheel thanks!

Markspd6
04-01-2012, 05:17 PM
You will know when you buy the tires (because that is a big factor, as well). Don't run retarded camber to make it fit. If you have to roll the fenders, roll the fenders. I have had it done twice to these cars (RA and GSR). It is easy.

yeah, you wont always get the roll done on the first shot, my speed6 took me 3 times to get perfect, 2X on the first roll. and one more when i switched to 18"s

and you dont wanna go for a dramatic overoll to compensate for some "future wheels" you might get, cuz once you roll, you cant go back.. ive seen some pretty seriously shitty rolls that will clearly effect resale value and even trade in value.. because any dealer who can spot your obvious shit roll, will Assume your were modding the car...

and dont use bats, pipes or any of that shit.. you can compress your rear 1/4 panel when the angle of the pipe/bat changes... and thats $$$.. better to pay a guy like me whose done a bunch of cars, than to chance it... and always ask to see some work theyve done first.. ive got two cars i own, that ive rolled well in my driveway, if you cant check the work, move on...

NFSLancerRA
04-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Ask around in town. People usually know where to go. Might want to call CBRD or something and ask him (Chad).

Nv82
04-03-2012, 08:20 PM
i like the Evo X GSR wheels. It gives you a nice upscale stock look and you can mount 245/40 R18 tires.

PunkSmurph
04-18-2012, 11:09 AM
I would avoid the 5Zigen FNOR1C, I love it but the TPMS does not fit right. I was going to get them and more than one person let me know they had an issue with Mistu TPMS fitment.

rm_you
04-30-2012, 04:44 PM
With a simple fender roll you'll be fine, provided you stick with a 35 offset or higher. The factory wheels are 18x7 with a 46 offset.

My current wheels are 18x8, 45 offset with 235/40-18 tires, at -1.7 camber in the rear I don't rub at all. But then again it's not completely flush either.

I was looking at the 18x8 RPF1's, but I have only found them in +35 offset... Is that ok, or will they be in danger of rubbing? I have not rolled my fenders yet, and was hoping to do this without needing to.

BravoZero
04-30-2012, 05:34 PM
I was looking at the 18x8 RPF1's, but I have only found them in +35 offset... Is that ok, or will they be in danger of rubbing? I have not rolled my fenders yet, and was hoping to do this without needing to.

If you're at stock height, you might be okay. Anything lower than stock is guaranteed to rub unless you adjust the camber to at least -2 in the rear.

GAbOS
04-30-2012, 09:21 PM
My 17x8 +35 combo with 245/45 rubbed the rear. It was a fat tire, but it was at the OE Rev/Mile. OE Springs.

Umbletron
05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
i was looking at the XXR 502 wheels. 18x8.5 with a 35 offset. I was planning on lowering my rear 1.5 and front around 1.2, with 235/40/18 wheels, would i be good on clearance and how close would i be to being flush with the car?

TxRalli09
08-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Does anyone know the largest size wheel and tire that will fit at stock height with no rubbing issues?

speedracer2169
08-23-2012, 11:46 AM
What about these

Rex
09-11-2012, 01:27 PM
My 17x8 +35 combo with 245/45 rubbed the rear. It was a fat tire, but it was at the OE Rev/Mile. OE Springs.

I am considering buying downsized wheels. How much would it effect my speedmeter's accuracy? Or what type of tires would keep the speedometer accurate if I were to use 17 inch wheels?