PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start

GAbOS
03-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Tok the e30 to a friends house for dinner, and when I got home, was going to jockey the cars around in the drive way. Well, the Lancer starts to turn over but just sits there trying. It's getting fuel, as I can smell it trying to crank it over for a few. I've tried it a few times now with no love. The stater does sound a little slow, but no idea why the battery would be low. I did not leave anything on, and turning the key to ACC doesn't show any of the normal low battery signs. I did a quick inspection under the hood and nothing seems out of place. Crappy time for this to happen. I'm supposed to be dropping it off at the body shop first thing in the morning.

Anyone have any quick ideas of what to look at? I have a bud coming buy with jumper cables just to try (I can't find mine!).

MTZL
03-25-2012, 05:58 PM
if it is not your battery. its the fuel relay.

BlackRA
03-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Same thing happened to me about a week ago. I ended up swapping the grey MFI relay since I had an extra one. After I swapped the relay it fired right up.

BravoZero
03-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Turn your headlights on and try to start it. If it really struggles to turn over at that point, it's your battery.

If not, check your fuel pump relay. You can swap it out with the horn relay, I believe. If it starts after that, you'll know it's the relay. Simple replacement from the dealership.

GAbOS
03-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys! You are the best. Let it sit jumpered up for 5 mins or so and tried, same thing. Had to have my friends really give his car some beans and it struggled to turn over with all the fuel that I'm sure primed up, but fired, and spewed barely spent fuel for a few seconds then cleaned up. Leaving the jumpers on and starter car idleing, I shut it off and it fired back up, but a little rough. I let it run for a few minutes, tried again and it fired smooth. Disconnected jumper and did the same thing, fired smooth. Could be the battery I guess. I forgot to try the headlight trick, was too busy thinking of how I was going to get it to Sacramento from Carson City for dealer work. lol

He left me his cables if I have issues in the morning. Luckily, the e30 i just purchased has a brand new battery in it.

edit: It goes to the body shop tomorrow and if it happens there, maybe I can get a free diagnoses with some real tools. :)

GAbOS
03-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Probably a good time to order Evo plugs and get my hands on teh green relay. I'll have the battery tested as well. Is the green relay an Evo part, or where do I go to get one (part#)?

GAbOS
03-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Car started up just fine this morning, strange. Still need info on the green relays..

BravoZero
03-26-2012, 11:26 AM
What's the temperature like where you're at? The relays on the 2008-2010 Evo/RA are known to have problems when it's cold. Mine even had a rough start one morning when it dipped down into the low teens this past winter.

GAbOS
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Temps get pretty low here. The car has been through 2 winters now and yesterday afternoon was only in the 40's I've started the car fine in low teens and single digits.

crak
03-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Well the order of how new goes like this:

1)Black Japan relay
2)Green relay
3) blue relay
4)Black Italian made relay

1 is oldest 4 is newest. The blues work fine, but if you can get the new relays, they are covered under warranty.

http://www.sr20deracing.com/looneytuning/Evo/TSB-10-13-002_relays.pdf

this link should help tell you what you are looking for to change.

To be honest, my car had starting issues. Opened up my relax box and looked at my starter relay (A−28X) and the bottom was all corroded. Cleaned it out with electrical cleaner to get the oxidization out.( i think the guy who owned it before put grease on it..which you should never do) and it started to oxidize it. Put a new relay in and its been working fine since.

good luck

Drew
03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tCIRJH9p0

BravoZero
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tCIRJH9p0

Hahahahahaha

That's horrible but so damn funny!

GAbOS
03-26-2012, 03:02 PM
I filled up the day before.

Crak, thanks for answering my question.

ykfdf
01-14-2013, 06:00 AM
Same thing happened to me about a week ago.