PDA

View Full Version : What's come in SSP tranny oil filter box ! :)

mangnok
04-14-2012, 01:25 AM
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy255/Zaghinapa/1843c85e.jpg

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy255/Zaghinapa/dee379cb.jpg

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy255/Zaghinapa/09d12f52.jpg

just got it today :)

and wait for fluid and new oil cooler

it's go for $129 shipped PM them on evoxforums.com

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I told you guys that it was a lie.

RalliNurse
04-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I told you guys that it was a lie.

In regards to what?

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 12:05 PM
In regards to what?

That is an in-line filter. I happen to know that if you wanted to go that route, you could purchase an equally as effective model for...maybe $10. You just have to figure out the adapter size and then you could use ANY similar aftermarket in-line filter designed for an automatic/DSG transmission. Some can be sourced from AutoZone for pennies.

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 12:14 PM
For instance, this is a Derale filter (huge unit, great filter, good looking housing):

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Derale/D13090.html?feed=npn

$45, and it is plug and play with a bigger filter. Derale is the brand who makes the coolers for AMS. That is a good brand. They make other, smaller models. They range in price. Only the ones with incorporated gauges and electronics approach anything close to $130.

This is the AMS cooler, for reference:

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-15850-Atomic-Cool-Remote-Cooler/dp/B004XONU5G

$204 brand new, and AMS wants, what $500 for their "kit" (that doesn't work). I am truly amazed at how some of these companies operate.

Markspd6
04-14-2012, 07:03 PM
does it come with some kind of fancy reusable filter element inside? if not yeah that does seem like alot for an inline filter, thats basically a larger version of what youd use on a large RC car.. humm ill go check there sight..

found it for $54 already. needs fittings

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/fuel_filter_carb_adapters.html#FUEL_FILTERS

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 07:17 PM
does it come with some kind of fancy reusable filter element inside? if not yeah that does seem like alot for an inline filter, thats basically a larger version of what youd use on a large RC car.. humm ill go check there sight..

found it for $54 already. needs fittings

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/fuel_filter_carb_adapters.html#FUEL_FILTERS

Their website claims that their new stacked filters have AN fittings built-in. You merely need to specify line size. Once again, another "amazing" innovative product from the wizards over at SSP.

Exyia
04-14-2012, 07:34 PM
a business trying to make a profit off parts they sell? no way.... :rolleyes:

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 07:39 PM
a business trying to make a profit off parts they sell? no way.... :rolleyes:

I know that you are a fan of SSP, so I will take your comment with a grain of salt. There is a difference between turning a profit and blatantly ripping people off. This filter goes for $54. That is the MSRP and what I see it being sold for on many other sites. Do you or do you not agree that $130 for the SAME part is highway robbery?

Do you also not agree that selling FFL2 for 4x what it can be purchased for, commercially, is a ripoff?

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 07:43 PM
They can make up for this by cracking the TCU, which I have a feeling Bryan will be the first to do.

Exyia
04-14-2012, 08:02 PM
I know that you are a fan of SSP, so I will take your comment with a grain of salt. There is a difference between turning a profit and blatantly ripping people off. This filter goes for $54. That is the MSRP and what I see it being sold for on many other sites. Do you or do you not agree that $130 for the SAME part is highway robbery?

Do you also not agree that selling FFL2 for 4x what it can be purchased for, commercially, is a ripoff?

I'm not going to try and defend/justify it, I don't think I need to. this kind of stuff happens all the time in corporate america. SSP is hardly the only one - the auto/tuning industry just happens to have way more resources than other markets to make finding these cheaper sources much easier (like the countless amount of places/stores you can buy motor oil)

off the top of my head since I was just shopping for rotors - did everyone know Centric Premium is Stoptech's rotor manufacturer/supplier. or AMS for their silly "small battery kit" (the Genesis 16EP). or hell just the cost to make an intercooler pipe

it happens. everything in America is a profit deal /shrug
I don't see a reason to start making this a big deal or brand bashing that they aren't good for the community or make garbage products.

the amount of money spent and earned with the oil companies I work with are staggering...a $3,000 radar gauge made from parts in the 1980s selling to customers for $20,000. or charging $5,000 to run a density test on a crude oil sample...a density test you learned how to do in high school chemistry

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 08:26 PM
ff the top of my head since I was just shopping for rotors - did everyone know Centric Premium is Stoptech's rotor manufacturer/supplier.

I find it funny that you should bring that up. Did you know that RotorPros basically run their entire business by buying Centric Premium (and others) blanks and re-drilling and slotting them?

I don't believe that this is right. That is why I set out to do what I did for the RA. I couldn't believe that MRT was charging $2k for what should have been sold at half of that price, so I went out and did it.

And don't get me started on AMS. ETS is just as bad. ETS sells a small battery kit for the Evo VIII/IX. Instead of using a motorcycle battery (like everyone else), they instead opted for a wheel-chair battery. Now, there is a HUGE difference between an SLA and an SLI battery. Basically, the wheelchair battery fails and pops when charged with an alternator and when used to discharge so much power in such a small amount of time (when starting the car). I have personally seen 3 of them fail. One blew the side clean off and squirted acid all over the engine bay of the car. It is a matter of time before one of them explodes (I mean that). All for what?

Intercooler pipes require custom fabrication. I don't have a problem paying for that. I am also kind of okay with the AMS transmission cooler, because they did at least make a bracket. However, I disagree with selling a part for a markup when no effort was involved in the design or fitting of said part. That is what this is. Sure it happens elsewhere, but it isn't right, in this case.

KyleKitchen
04-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Thank god someone else posted this.
I was so fucking close.
I even took pictures before I installed it and was going to post a thread here.

It's blatantly ripping people off.
When they advertise it, they even flip the filter around to hide the XRP logo.

This kind of stuff is a big deal when they are selling a product for $134, that the consumer can get elsewhere for $54.
They just hide what it really is so you don't know until you buy it.

That kind of thing is NOT good for the community and they are clearly ripping us off.

And no, they don't sell garbage products because they just sell other people's products and hide the logos. Then charge twice as much for it without any personal R&D.

They don't even have the nerve to copy it.
They just straight up sell the other companies parts.

I hope that Bryan gets into the TCU before SSP.
SSP will charge outrageous amounts of money for anything associated with the TCU maps or definitions.
Chances are they probably wouldn't even release it for the open source guys.

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 08:36 PM
And no, they don't sell garbage products because they just sell other people's products and hide the logos. And charge twice as much for it.

No no, they tried to make a custom CMC for the Evolution X GSR. The first batch was so bad that no one buys them, anymore. They were built totally incorrectly and littered the transmission and lines with metal shavings. Check out the reviews on EvoM. I even considered buying one, and then I did a quick search. That was some bad shit, man.

Exyia
04-14-2012, 08:40 PM
I find it funny that you should bring that up. Did you know that RotorPros basically run their entire business by buying Centric Premium (and others) blanks and re-drilling and slotting them?

I don't believe that this is right. That is why I set out to do what I did for the RA. I couldn't believe that MRT was charging $2k for what should have been sold at half of that price, so I went out and did it.

And don't get me started on AMS. ETS is just as bad. ETS sells a small battery kit for the Evo VIII/IX. Instead of using a motorcycle battery (like everyone else), they instead opted for a wheel-chair battery. Now, there is a HUGE difference between an SLA and an SLI battery. Basically, the wheelchair battery fails and pops when charged with an alternator and when used to discharge so much power in such a small amount of time (when starting the car). I have personally seen 3 of them fail. One blew the side clean off and squirted acid all over the engine bay of the car. It is a matter of time before one of them explodes (I mean that). All for what?

Intercooler pipes require custom fabrication. I don't have a problem paying for that. I am also kind of okay with the AMS transmission cooler, because they did at least make a bracket. However, I disagree with selling a part for a markup when no effort was involved in the design or fitting of said part. That is what this is. Sure it happens elsewhere, but it isn't right, in this case.

even with markups, the tuning industry makes absolute shit for money

I really don't see the big deal. the automotive/tuning industry will ALWAYS be second rate. we'll never see tuning shops on the stock market or anything - there's no money in it. most of labor costs go to actually pay the mechanic's bills. there are so many places to get so many things, and some parts of the automotive industry are simple to make

hell shops these days can have a hard time putting together money and time to build all those race cars we love seeing. hell most mechanics don't work on shop/sponsored cars for free - they still expect to be paid like any other car

in between a lay-off from my previous job, I helped SSP as their sales/PR rep for a short while (Jeremy@SSP hadn't moved to TX yet). I remember perfectly one invoice - customer came with a new Evo, got nearly full bolt-ons, spending about $3.5k. My commission? about $200 bucks.

I got someone to spend $3.5k up-front...to make $200. At least selling cars (which I also did) was easier since I just had customers sign financing loans instead of forking the money up-front in full

I don't know how I would have paid my bills and lived comfortably with that kind of income. This was coming from a ~$50k job in the oil industry. Thankfully I found a job not too soon later (oil industry again), and live comfortably again as a sponsored car/person - most of the fun without the hassles of the tuning industry

it's corporate america. hell, I'm sure bryan@gst/razorlab left GST purely because of health reasons

Exyia
04-14-2012, 08:43 PM
No no, they tried to make a custom CMC for the Evolution X GSR. The first batch was so bad that no one buys them, anymore. They were built totally incorrectly and littered the transmission and lines with metal shavings. Check out the reviews on EvoM. I even considered buying one, and then I did a quick search. That was some bad shit, man.

and they've updated their design TWICE since then (they are on v3 now). is the company bad for fixing their mistakes?

I mean, back then everybody was treading on new ground. hell, your brake brackets could have ended up the same way, only it was easier to catch a machining fault on a brake system than a CMC

I don't understand the hate for a brand over silly stuff like marking up a product as a supplier

Exyia
04-14-2012, 08:46 PM
hell when people post if the AMS small battery kit for the RA's is worth buying, you always see me post

"buy just the kit without the battery. the battery is a ripoff markup of a Genesis 16EP"

but do I go off on a tangent saying AMS is a shit company or ripping people off? no

or their "AMS Ralliart BOV Upgrade Kit"....oh boyyy :rolleyes:

KyleKitchen
04-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Some people, like myself; have a hard time supporting companies that double and triple prices of products that aren't even theirs but market it as if it is their own.

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 08:54 PM
That isn't the point, and you know it. There are plenty of large companies, in this industry. Wheel manufacturers are HUGE. Some of them even sell directly to consumers. The problem arises when aftermarket shops come into the picture. They make a living retailing commercially available products. SSP falls into this category. However, they sell ideas (and charge big money for them). AMS sells their brand name (their products are beautifully made, though). ETS sort of has a hybrid model. They do a lot of sales, but they sell complete packages with a slight mark-up for the name.

However, almost everyone sells parts for multiple different platforms. This increases client base (only so many people own Evolution X's, RA's, and GTR's). I have a different idea of how to do this. That is all.

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 08:56 PM
and they've updated their design TWICE since then (they are on v3 now). is the company bad for fixing their mistakes?

That is the TTP model of service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOCjETynxg4

"I learn by blowing up car after car until I get it right."

NFSLancerRA
04-14-2012, 09:02 PM
The car that fell of the dyno was a friend of mine's, by the way. It was easily the most priceless experience of my life. Scott offered everyone shirts to keep quiet about it, until someone hacked his FB profile and updated his picture with an Eclipse hanging off of his logo. Like I said, priceless.

Exyia
04-14-2012, 09:11 PM
really? a company has to get the product 100% right the very first time?

i give up on this argument then

RalliNurse
04-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Dude! XRP is about a mile from my house! I should visit them Monday to get the filter from the source...I post back to let y'all know how much it cost...if they sell cheaper then ssp...then y'all let me know for pickup or call them directly...of course I need to get part number though..

razorlab
04-15-2012, 12:35 AM
This is what 90% of the industry is. It is what it is.

Get educated and save alot of money or just shrug it off and buy it.

Back in 2003-2004 I fought WORKS and other companies about this very same thing. In the end, they still sell rebranded products for a large profit and I have more grey hair.

It's not really about the rebranded products. You can filter the good people in this industry by the amount of markup they put on these things.

I have no problem paying a little bit more for rebranded and well packaged products with some R&D behind it because I know time is worthy money.

Creating a solid honest service for people and still making a living out of it is not a problem with me. I think that is honest work.

It's up to the end user to make the decision of what ground they stand on.

NFSLancerRA
04-15-2012, 08:31 AM
It just bugs me. I know the current staff of Stealth316 (big 3S board), and I have been going through a fair amount of archived information (like really cool technical schematics, fluid information, product information, etc.). They are backing up the site, and a lot of stuff that hasn't been seen in YEARS is coming to light. It seems that a good amount of old-school oil catch cans were EITHER fuel-water separators for Yamaha outboard motors OR fuel filters for John Deere riding mowers. Hell, that Derale filter utilizes fuel-water separator housing to mount the universal oil filter to. I have one of those sitting in my garage.

I love that kind of engineering, don't get me wrong. You would be shocked what some of the "new" parts coming out these days really are. Alas, I guess that you are right, though. I have done my homework and am confident that the parts that I buy for my car are as good as they can be for the right price. That is the beauty of a site like ClubRalliart. This forum is not inundated with vendor sponsors who do not hesitate to send me nasty PM's. I can and will continue to dig deep and relay information.

The best piece of advice that I can give new RA owners is this: Scour the web. The information is out there. Everything that you could possibly want to do to this car has been done, elsewhere. The DSM and 3S guys know what they are doing, and they are a great resource to use to find information. VW, Audi, and GT-R boards have more information about DSG/TC-SST upgrades than I could post in a lifetime. Look at boards from around the world. American companies are thwarted by their products not existing in other marketplaces. See what others are doing.

I guess that it isn't quite fair to be so down on SSP. I just caution people to do their homework. I mean REALLY do your homework. Start on Stealth316 and DSMtuners/talk. Learn everything that you can. I haven't played video-games in a long time. When I am not writing papers or going to class, I am on the web researching. It may seem like I live on the forums, because for now this is my education. Everything that you could ever want to know it out there. Basic research will only get you so far.

NFSLancerRA
04-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Dude! XRP is about a mile from my house! I should visit them Monday to get the filter from the source...I post back to let y'all know how much it cost...if they sell cheaper then ssp...then y'all let me know for pickup or call them directly...of course I need to get part number though..

Just give them a call. Tell them what you want to use it for, and they will let you know what to buy.

NFSLancerRA
04-15-2012, 08:43 AM
The other thing that I have noticed is that Evo/RA owners are so spoiled by a market that caters directly to them. I remember in my Eclipse days that no such market existed. That made it fun, because you really had to fabricate everything in order to make anything that even remotely resembled power. You had to know which engines worked in which cars. Mitsubishi has a funny habit of mounting motors and transmissions on the opposite sides of the engine bay with models even of the same years and motor designations. For us, there are only a handful of swaps that can be done. For the VIII/IX, you can use a 4g63 (MIVEC or not) OR a 4G64 hybrid with an Evolution head. In contrast, for the 3G Eclipse you can use a 4G64, 4G63, 6G74, 6G74/75 (3.6-3.8 hybrid with different crank and overbore), 6G75 MIVEC or not, 6A13 (can't remember the exact engine code). You had to know which parts were compatible with which engines. You had to know which cars you could take parts from and which were mounted the wrong way. With the Evolution, it is simple. I would love to blame that simple fact for all of the reverse engineering that is taking place, but I can't. While this isn't unique to the Evolution, many other cars do not work this way.

Markspd6
04-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I've been in business over 20 years, if you wanna hit people this way, you really need to at least fully re-lable the product or add a new feature to it, like a mount, some kind of special clamps or anything vehicle specific the original mfgr doesn't cover, this just seems a bit lazy.. it's just a resale of a part, that should be the standard 20% markup in the autoparts industry...

Kinda glad I found that, I like stirring shit up, even if just to save the forum members some money, I've posted links to $25 oil catch cans and $5 heat shields with the same results..

mangnok
04-15-2012, 11:15 AM
lol you guys make me feel i spend too much LMAO

but what ever i need it anyway and dont have any clue about this part

only place i know is order from here and you guys just know when i post too :)

but yeah i was a little surprise when i open the box like "wait why it's not SSP ???" lol

Markspd6
04-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Hey don't feel bad, I've paid too much for alot of parts, it happens..

And I wouldn't have known to look around unless you posted that pic..

Just look at it like you save another member(me) some money($75)

Maybe if it's not used you could return it and save a few bucks yourself..

Either way,thanks for the usefull post.. It helps

mangnok
04-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey don't feel bad, I've paid too much for alot of parts, it happens..

And I wouldn't have known to look around unless you posted that pic..

Just look at it like you save another member(me) some money($75)

Maybe if it's not used you could return it and save a few bucks yourself..

Either way,thanks for the usefull post.. It helps

nahh it's ok i just keep it they give me SSP pen and SSP key chain also key chain bussiness card LMAO !!!

NFSLancerRA
04-15-2012, 12:05 PM
lol you guys make me feel i spend too much LMAO

but what ever i need it anyway and dont have any clue about this part

only place i know is order from here and you guys just know when i post too :)

but yeah i was a little surprise when i open the box like "wait why it's not SSP ???" lol

You didn't get taken for that much. As was said, I do appreciate the post.

BravoZero
04-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Damn, what all did I miss?

NFSLancerRA
04-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Damn, what all did I miss?

Ruminations on buying parts from vendors. Basically, just me complaining, as usual.

MTZL
04-16-2012, 08:24 AM
What about the stock filter? Are you going to block it off?
Are you going to run the XRP addition to & in combination with stock filter?

razorlab
04-16-2012, 10:14 AM
The best piece of advice that I can give new RA owners is this: Scour the web. The information is out there. Everything that you could possibly want to do to this car has been done, elsewhere. The DSM and 3S guys know what they are doing, and they are a great resource to use to find information. VW, Audi, and GT-R boards have more information about DSG/TC-SST upgrades than I could post in a lifetime. Look at boards from around the world. American companies are thwarted by their products not existing in other marketplaces. See what others are doing.

I guess that it isn't quite fair to be so down on SSP. I just caution people to do their homework. I mean REALLY do your homework. Start on Stealth316 and DSMtuners/talk. Learn everything that you can. I haven't played video-games in a long time. When I am not writing papers or going to class, I am on the web researching. It may seem like I live on the forums, because for now this is my education. Everything that you could ever want to know it out there. Basic research will only get you so far.

Exactly, my roots are in DSM land so I agree with you. I'm all about saving money and getting parts straight from the source.

RalliNurse
04-16-2012, 12:49 PM
I called XRP today and they told me they sell it to dealers only!?!

If I can get more info on it I can go and see I can pick one up...

I need part number and filter size...in microns...

NFSLancerRA
04-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I called XRP today and they told me they sell it to dealers only!?!

If I can get more info on it I can go and see I can pick one up...

I need part number and filter size...in microns...

There is nothing saying that you must buy "that filter". Shop around.

crak
04-16-2012, 01:24 PM
but: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/fuel_filter_carb_adapters.html#FUEL_FILTERS

looks so nice compared to this

So let me get this straight, http://www.amazon.com/Derale-15850-Atomic-Cool-Remote-Cooler/dp/B004XONU5G
is the AMS tranny cooler but without the mounting bracket?

Also what is the micron size of the fuel filter? Just good to let everyone here know.

Eric I know you are full of information:)

NFSLancerRA
04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
The correct filter size is anywhere between 10 and 25 microns. If you go with a very fine filter, you must make sure to install it on the "push" side of the system (after the pump). I would buy the 20 micron filter, as that is really enough for any transmission. Bare in mind, my manual transmission has no internal pump or filter. I think that most filters for DSG and Ford Dieselite transmissions are around 20 microns. It is not extremely restricting, but it is enough to catch "most" particles. If you have any doubt about which size filter to buy, send a sample of your TC-SST fluid to Blackstone. I will be sending them an oil sample in the not too distant future to check on things. They will break down the micron size and metallurgic consistency of any and all particulates found in your system. The price is reasonable, as well.

Exyia
04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
The correct filter size is anywhere between 10 and 25 microns. If you go with a very fine filter, you must make sure to install it on the "push" side of the system (after the pump). I would buy the 20 micron filter, as that is really enough for any transmission. Bare in mind, my manual transmission has no internal pump or filter. I think that most filters for DSG and Ford Dieselite transmissions are around 20 microns. It is not extremely restricting, but it is enough to catch "most" particles. If you have any doubt about which size filter to buy, send a sample of your TC-SST fluid to Blackstone. I will be sending them an oil sample in the not too distant future to check on things. They will break down the micron size and metallurgic consistency of any and all particulates found in your system. The price is reasonable, as well.

By the way, I stumbled upon this over the course of looking things up. Seems promising:

http://www.willallracing.com.au/lubricants.htm

I'm glad the thread toned down since I last visited. Complaining about a mark-up is one thing, but to go off and say a particular brand is outright bad is just unfair. again, I'm neutral on the subject - if you find it somewhere cheaper, by all means buy it there. I still stand by SSP's actual developed products (and their staff/service), which I think is what matters

anyway, I may sound like a hypocrit, but I am 200% not a fan of anything Willall. You can believe it if you want to, but SSP found Willall's fluid is what started the whole forum scare on aftermarket fluid ruining SST's - they mixed some brake fluid contents in it. The fact that they haven't seemed to come forward with any fixes about it makes me wary of the brand in general - at least SSP took notice and came out with the new SSP Gold to fix that - and discontinued the Red fluid that seemed to cause some issues

anyway, I'm trailing off again.

NFSLancerRA
04-16-2012, 04:17 PM
but: http://www.livermoreperformance.com/fuel_filter_carb_adapters.html#FUEL_FILTERS

looks so nice compared to this

Edited: I have found a much better filter. Pierre and I will be testing it out later in the week. I plan to do a before and after chemical analysis. It should inherently increase line pressure, as well. This is going to be good.

NFSLancerRA
04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
anyway, I may sound like a hypocrit, but I am 200% not a fan of anything Willall. You can believe it if you want to, but SSP found Willall's fluid is what started the whole forum scare on aftermarket fluid ruining SST's - they mixed some brake fluid contents in it. The fact that they haven't seemed to come forward with any fixes about it makes me wary of the brand in general - at least SSP took notice and came out with the new SSP Gold to fix that - and discontinued the Red fluid that seemed to cause some issues.

Which is why I have been a big proponent of FFL2 (DSG fluid) since the beginning of this whole debate. I thought that it looked cool, but then again I don't own a car with an SST in it, anymore.

Exyia
04-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Which is why I have been a big proponent of FFL2 (DSG fluid) since the beginning of this whole debate. I thought that it looked cool, but then again I don't own a car with an SST in it, anymore.

it looks promising. I don't have much to add since I've already changed my fluid a while ago, so it's not really on my mind

though I can add for those who don't know, once you change out the original SST fluid, regardless of which fluid you go with - it will last MUCH longer.

Eric@SSP planned on actually RE-USING his fluid because it looked fine. and this was on a HTA 3582 that was beaten hard.

NFSLancerRA
04-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Eric@SSP planned on actually RE-USING his fluid because it looked fine. and this was on a HTA 3582 that was beaten hard.

A better filter and better fluid go a long way. I can definitely vouch for that.

crak
04-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Edited: I have found a much better filter. Pierre and I will be testing it out later in the week. I plan to do a before and after chemical analysis. It should inherently increase line pressure, as well. This is going to be good.

Sounds good, let me know how it goes Eric!

sstevojr
04-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Not everything is a rip off, I have a pair of SSP decals on my door. They are dark grey metallic (color matched) and have a secret meaning...Steve Steck Power! :D
Jesus I disappear for a minute and all shit breaks loose around here....

Markspd6
04-17-2012, 05:23 PM
im not knocking any business making parts for my car, but I would consider it a tactical error to have a more than 100% markup on a product thats readily available.. especially when its a labled product like this one.. it would be hard to bluff you did anything special to it..

sstevojr
04-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Agreed, standard middle man mark-up is 20-50%
If the company itself does not sell to the public, only to private vendors, that changes things a bit in that their "per/unit" prices is for bulk, not per/unit to Joe Blow.
With that said, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm in NO WAY trying to defend SSP here), but didn't SSP buy the filter and design/make the adapters on either end. IIRC they had a whole big thing about how they used special Viton seals, etc to make them....?
If that is the case, then you are now improving/changing an existing product, new economic rules come into play (what is your time/R&D/day of the month worth, etc).

NFSLancerRA
04-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Things will continue to go all to hell as long as I have a keyboard and a mouse.

(Hence the avatar.)

Markspd6
04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah if they add some value to the product, that's different. But im thinkin it's just a resale? Maybe we can get the OP to post a pic of all the little pieces(rings, filter etc) and any specs. if they list any.

sstevojr
04-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Things will continue to go all to hell as long as I have a keyboard and a mouse.

(Hence the avatar.)

(Hence the 5 incomplete projects,.....and counting :rolleyes:)
Just FYI :p

NFSLancerRA
04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
(Hence the 5 incomplete projects,.....and counting :rolleyes:)
Just FYI :p

Forgive me. I am having too much fun in my X. ;)

sstevojr
04-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Official Petition to BAN Non-Ralliart Owners from Club Ralliart:
NFSLancerRA
Exyia

KyleKitchen
04-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Agreed, standard middle man mark-up is 20-50%
If the company itself does not sell to the public, only to private vendors, that changes things a bit in that their "per/unit" prices is for bulk, not per/unit to Joe Blow.
With that said, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm in NO WAY trying to defend SSP here), but didn't SSP buy the filter and design/make the adapters on either end. IIRC they had a whole big thing about how they used special Viton seals, etc to make them....?
If that is the case, then you are now improving/changing an existing product, new economic rules come into play (what is your time/R&D/day of the month worth, etc).

I looked into that as well and no they didn't do anything special.
No special o-rings and no special SSP adapters.
Exactly how SSP sells the filter is exactly how it comes from XRP, inc.

I went to one of the sites that sells XRP filters and it even says on the site:
"NOTE: Viton O-Rings are standard on all XRP adapter fittings. If using nitro-methane or alcohol, specify EPR O-Rings."

KyleKitchen
04-17-2012, 07:16 PM
NFSLancerRA
Exyia

Nooooooooooo!
But I love hiiiiiim! :(

sstevojr
04-17-2012, 07:25 PM
If that is the case that they literally buy them, place them in a box with a lanyard, and add $80....that's some BS :mad:

BravoZero
04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
NFSLancerRA
Exyia

Of which, both guys have a lot of heavy modification experience with the Ralliart, so both contribute very insightful knowledge to help us.

So no. :p

NFSLancerRA
04-17-2012, 07:47 PM
If that is the case that they literally buy them, place them in a box with a lanyard, and add $80....that's some BS :mad:

It happens more often than you might think.

Markspd6
04-17-2012, 09:49 PM
It happens more often than you might think.

I've done it...

KyleKitchen
04-17-2012, 10:55 PM

There's a pen and some stickers too.
Price justified.

mangnok
04-17-2012, 11:00 PM
There's a pen and some stickers too.
Price justified.

key chain too :)

KyleKitchen
04-17-2012, 11:01 PM
key chain too :)

Lanyard/Key chain.
Same difference. :p

Exyia
04-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Of which, both guys have a lot of heavy modification experience with the Ralliart, so both contribute very insightful knowledge to help us.

So no. :p

of which I still stayed SST :p:p:p

and on a more serious note, anybody like me and NFS are just hardasses because we both made "learning" mistakes that cost us money and don't want anyone else to do the same. Part of me wanting to trade in the RA was to start on a clean slate with everything I learned

NFSLancerRA
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
In the past, I made a ton of mistakes. With what I know now, my car is setup up like a baws. I am serious. A better handling and driving Evolution X you will have a hard time finding. No expense was spared.

MTZL
04-18-2012, 01:41 PM
^Some people never learn from their mistakes. :cool:
Some people learn from other mistakes.
Some people learn form their own mistakes.

Sometimes I cant see my own mistakes. :p