PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Trouble

TheBlackBeast
05-04-2012, 11:32 PM
I'd like to introduce you to Trouble. I picked her up a couple weekends ago as my next DD. I found her in San Jose, flew up on a saturday morning, bought her and started the drive down south. It drove strong and ran great for the first half of the day. As I got further away, trouble started with Trouble. Eventually she gave up the ghost about 10 miles before getting to start the grapevine. It was dusk. No tools. No AAA. A local tow truck wanted $200 to tow it 7 miles to the next exit. So, around 1030pm, my AAA hookup arrived, waited for another tow and finally got the car unloaded at 230am in OC. spent the next day tinkering however it wouldn't be for another week until I figured out the source of the problem.

It turned out that one of the fuel injectors in the carbs had unscrewed itself. Once I cranked that puppy down, it was back to terrorizing the neighborhood...

I named her Trouble after the last owner mentioned that he had a similar ordeal when he first got it. Seems fitting and somewhat funny...
Took Trouble to the beach.
Time to get in Trouble.
Etc...

I'll simply quote the ad from Ratsun:
The engine is a LZ23 built by Troy Ermish mated to a dogleg 5 speed that shifts great. The engine has less than 2,000 miles on it! When he did the engine he also completely rebuilt the head. It has new guides, 1mm overside intake valves, new exhaust valves, and an isky stage 3 cam with upgraded springs and retainers. The carbs are dual 44 mikunis also from Troy. Intake is matched to the head. I have a receipt for all the work. I replaced the flywheel with a DP racing lightweight aluminum and replaced the clutch at the same. A bunch of other stuff under the hood is brand new too: water pump, oil pump, starter, plugs, wires, MSDblaster 2 coil, 'blackbox' distributor, DP racing steering box brace, and some other stuff I am sure I am forgetting. The radiator is a VW with dual electric fans.

It has 280zx struts and brakes in the front and tokiko blues and (I think) 200sx discs in the rear. E-brake is relocated on the floor between the seats. I installed a b210 brake booster when I bought it. It has aftermarket springs though I am not sure the spring weight.Sway bars front and back though I'm not sure of the size. It also has a slotted rear crossmember. It's sitting on Rota RBs that i think are 13x7 though they might be 13x8. Sumitomo 215/50/13 tires which still have a ton of life left.

The body is all rust free. The previous owner had it stripped down to bare metal and fixed everything a few years before I bought it. The car has bubble flares, shaved side markers, shaved vents, a shaved rear, and BMW ellipsoid headlights with HIDs. The light color is white, no blue. The paint is in good shape with some really small chips here and there.

The interior was done around the same time as the body and is fantastic. The only issue is the left bolster on the drivers seat has a small chunk torn out and is worn a little soft. The seats are out of a 90s integra I think. It has new weatherstripping on the front and back windows, the doors, and the trunk. New window felt and squeegees. Sound deadening on the floor and doors. Battery is relocated in the rear. The tach, oil pressure, temp, and voltage gauges are all aftermarket. Momo steering wheel that is pretty worn out. Comes with 4 point harnesses. Wink mirror. The car also has an aftermarket painless wiring harness.

(more pics of it back in the original thread (http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41516-fsft-70-510-2-door-7500-obo/))

GAbOS
05-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Nice!! I bet that thing is an effing hoot! DO I get a little bit of credit for the purchase since this is what I voted for in the poll? lol

GAbOS
05-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh.. and here's a link to a spot that sells smoked and amber pre-cut films for elipsoids! :D btw.. I love my HID conversion on mine. I have Euro Elips' and the OE projector works perfect with HID.

http://elefantsupply.com/?page_id=59/#ecwid:category=650320&mode=product&product=2734295

BravoZero
05-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Very nice, Beast!

RalliNurse
05-05-2012, 12:30 PM
You Ol' Schooler...lol!

RalliUp
05-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I would like to name my RalliArt Trouble 2. I took it into the shop to get it fixed under warranty because the timing chain needed to be replaced. When I got it back their was a knock in the motor, my fan belt was squelling, and I had an oil leek. 2 months later I am still driving the dealers car. They say they cant find the oil leak. Any suggestions?

TheBlackBeast
05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Nice!! I bet that thing is an effing hoot! DO I get a little bit of credit for the purchase since this is what I voted for in the poll? lolOf course!

Oh.. and here's a link to a spot that sells smoked and amber pre-cut films for elipsoids! :D btw.. I love my HID conversion on mine. I have Euro Elips' and the OE projector works perfect with HID.

http://elefantsupply.com/?page_id=59/#ecwid:category=650320&mode=product&product=2734295
Nice - thanks for the link - I'll check it out!

Very nice, Beast!
Thanks!

You Ol' Schooler...lol!
I figured if I can't afford something new that isn't completely beige, I may as well go old school!

I would like to name my RalliArt Trouble 2. I took it into the shop to get it fixed under warranty because the timing chain needed to be replaced. When I got it back their was a knock in the motor, my fan belt was squelling, and I had an oil leek. 2 months later I am still driving the dealers car. They say they cant find the oil leak. Any suggestions?
Sorry to hear that! Call the main number to Mitsubishi and lodge an official complaint. That will light a fire under their butts!

TheBlackBeast
05-11-2012, 04:17 PM
I really need to fix the fuel gauge too - something for the weekend to fiddle with...

TheBlackBeast
07-25-2012, 05:12 PM
An update on Trouble...

Replaced the alternator - first time ever doing that. Part cost like $45. Cheap!
Cut, painted & installed a sheet metal shield to separate the velocity stacks from the brake master cylinders.

Cut and installed a plate to mount the hood release the previous guy never hooked up.
Reinstalled the Drivers door side mirror - with a zip tie. Pretty ingenious actually.
Added seat belts to the rear seat bench so my kids can ride in it.
Built a mounting plate for a new fuel gauge and installed new fuel gauge.
Oil&filter change
Found that 2 of the 4 bolts holding the right rear wheel onto the axle were missing - replaced with nylock nuts & lock washers. Tightened left side down adequately.
Gave her a claybar & wax job - so much better!
Added a vinyl headliner across the windshield to not get blinded by the sun in the morning. Need to redo as it came out all bubbly.
Added a smartphone holder to mount my phone while driving so it doesn't slide around.

Still need to do the following:

New wiper motor - need to find and install.
Replace or overhaul the rear diff housing as it leaks.
New fuel sender that is compatible with new fuel gauge needs to be installed.
Install new speedometer cable that's been sitting on the shelf for the last couple months.
Find a heater system before winter.
Find out why this thing tries to step into other lanes for no reason when driving down the fwy.
Rotate tires - none of my sockets fit!

So far the car has been a blast. Only had one insufferable day driving it home so far. It was like 110 where I worked that day and it was brutal. Otherwise the weather has been very nice to me. I feel as if I've settled into the car and feel comfortable with it finally. I do miss TheBlackBeast though... :D

RalliNurse
07-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Welcome back!
I thought u fall off this planet...lol...

TheBlackBeast
07-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Welcome back!
I thought u fall off this planet...lol...

It feels like it though...

Between having to work more for less pay, having another brand new baby and a car to work on, I've been doing well just trying to get by!

MTZL
07-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Welcome back.

Working more for less pay. Im in the same position.
Now a day, I do alot more work for even less pay.

Congrats on another Baby.

RalliNurse
07-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Well...congrats on ur new addition to ur family...

Look at it this way...as long ur working ad getting a paycheck...u good compare to those who got laid off w/no check...

So just hang in there buddy...u'll be ok!