PDA

View Full Version : SST cooler

crak
05-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Supply and demand I guess, its all metal. Well, here it is! My FFL-2 Also came in! Now all i need is a transmission cooler. Any recommendations since RRE has bad customer service and wont get back to me.

zeRep85
05-17-2012, 12:21 PM
. Any recommendations since RRE has bad customer service and wont get back to me.

Did you try emailing mike?

[email protected]

or the shop guys

[email protected]

zeRep

crak
05-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Did you try emailing mike?

[email protected]

or the shop guys

[email protected]

zeRep

We had PM's going, got to the point where he asked for my address, then he stopped. Seen him post some times, so he is active. I emailed him directly with not reply back. I have not tried the [email protected] address. Ill give that shot. Thanks for the tip zeRep

TrailBrake
05-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Crak,

I don't recall if you mentioning having a JDP fog light delete kit, but might want to get one to aid in SST cooling.

Here is a link to an EvoM thread on it (I would have used the thread on this topic on here, but the pictures were lost during the site crash).
http://forums.evolutionm.net/09-ralliart-show-shine/567394-jdp-presents-ralliart-fog-delete-kit.html

crak
05-22-2012, 06:44 AM
I do not have the delete kit. I know it would help with the cooling a TON, but I was hoping on keeping the fog lights. With RRE's kit you can keep the lights because they have 2 coolers.

Good news though! contacts the shop directly and got in touch with one of the guys. I was quote 680+shipping. They charge 680 for parts and installation. 680 seems kind of steep, but if its a guarantee in my mind that my transmission will never over heat, that would be good enough in my mind.

The justification for the price is that they have to fabricate them from scratch. What they are going to do is build one on a 2009, then take it off and ship it to me. 680 seem fair enough? NSFLancer has some good tips at times on these sorts of things.

TrailBrake
05-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Ok, keep us posted how it goes.

crak
05-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Ok, keep us posted how it goes.

i will, but is 680 worth it?

slyy
05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
i will, but is 680 worth it?

You can get the AMS for cheaper.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/AMS-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-X-10-MR-Ralliart-SST-Transmission-Cooler-Kit.html

MTZL
05-22-2012, 03:00 PM
680 USD or Canadian?
So what happened with RRE again?

TrailBrake
05-23-2012, 04:54 AM
For what it's worth, I tracked my car last weekend in 25C temperature with just a fog light delete, hood vents removed, a bottle of Royal Purple's Purple Ice in the coolant and a 1.3 bar rad cap.

No overheating from engine, and no 'slow down' warnings from the transmission. There were 5 sessions lasting about 20 minutes each.

I don't track the car when the outside temperature is over 30C, but that's my personal preference as I find I overheat wearing a helmet when it's that hot :o

crak
05-23-2012, 06:48 AM
680 USD or Canadian?
So what happened with RRE again?

680 USD. CDN economy is on par right now is it goes 680 both ways give or take a dollar. 680 does seem somewhat steep - then again they have to make it from scratch. IF the AMS cooler (yes i know its rebranded) can get the job done, then why not.

What I don't understand is this. I found this in the archives:

I put 4 different examples of SST dual tranny cooler installs in this folder.

http://roadraceengineering.com/ralliart/tech/

One is a RalliArt, the other 3 are EVO X MRs. One is a million dollar setup with giant Spal fans and a bunch of ducting. The other three are more like what works on most SST transmissions including my RalliArt.

We do this for $700 installed including fluid. Making a kit to be shipped is a bit tricky.

Mike W

So, Do I get to knock 250$ off the price since I have my own fluid? I should inquire.

@trail: I know the vents would work superb but I still want to keep my fog lights. You are right about that it does not get much airflow under the wheel well, but I think the AMS with a fan sucking air through it will help. Kind of like a Computer CPU. Its the better alternative.

TrailBrake
05-23-2012, 07:45 AM
@trail: I know the vents would work superb but I still want to keep my fog lights. You are right about that it does not get much airflow under the wheel well, but I think the AMS with a fan sucking air through it will help. Kind of like a Computer CPU. Its the better alternative.

No doubt the AMS kit is more robust than my setup. I was just throwing my experience as a FYI to those who may not want/need to go that route. In hotter conditions, I'm sure my setup would not be sufficient.

crak
05-23-2012, 01:37 PM
so its 620$+shipping if i provide my own fluid. Well, this is going to be interesting.

620 for the RRE and the AMS is 530....90$ difference.

I think RRE is the best way to go in terms of quality and having 2 coolers over a cooler with a fan.

crak
05-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Update: Its been all weekend and no reply back after giving my address.

I am coming to two conclusions from what I have seen from Mike and Gus.

1) They are either really busy and cant reply back
2) They don't want to ship to Canada. They wont even give you the time of day once you motion that you live anywhere other then the lower 48 states.

Hopefully this is all bogus and Gus just had the day off. I am really surprised that Mike from RRE who visits this site daily has no comment in all of this. Just disappointed right now.

Ill fire another email off to them, maybe he missed my last one.

C

TrailBrake
05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Given what you are experiencing, LancerShop has an AMS tranny cooler kit for $530:

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=1666&cat=0&page=1

For what it's worth, I've ordered a bunch of things from LancerShop, and never had an issue. Their support is excellent.

BravoZero
05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Created this thread with the SST cooler posts from the Dodson filter thread. Keep the two topics separate please.

TrailBrake
05-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Thanks for updating Bravo. The discussion did drift from the original topic.

crak
05-31-2012, 07:29 AM
Given what you are experiencing, LancerShop has an AMS tranny cooler kit for $530:

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=1666&cat=0&page=1

For what it's worth, I've ordered a bunch of things from LancerShop, and never had an issue. Their support is excellent.

I am starting to think the same thing. RRE doesn't want my money, so be it. Time to move on. Thanks for the push in the right direction, Trail.

@ Bravo: Cheers, Thanks for cleaning this up!

TrailBrake
05-31-2012, 07:39 AM
No problem. Vendors need to provide solid service to get my $$$, and I am not tolerant of any run-around.

Exyia
06-04-2012, 08:13 AM
while I was bedding in new pads/rotors, was playing around with evoscan and SST temps

after a few pulls, I was at 91C

I pulled over, stopped, activated the SSP cooler, tightened lug nuts (fixed a stripped wheel stud), then got back in the car

went down to 82C! :eek:

full details here
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57947&page=19

pretty impressive :) and was a huge help at yesterday's SCCA regional - summer is hitting full force in Texas and the temperatures are brutal now

TrailBrake
06-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Found this thread on EvoM on SST coolers:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/mitsubishi-tc-sst-discussion-all-equipped-models/440460-compiled-list-all-sst-oil-coolers.html

MikeW-RRE
06-08-2012, 02:11 PM
We are not set up to manufacture and ship this part. We do great customer service installing them local on cars. They are currently built one at a time with love :-) It is hard to get a local car with enough extra time to build a couple extra on the car. On my own car it has an early version and we have made changes since then. Also my own car has a custom larger 24" wide FMIC and custom piping that isnt the same as other cars so it isnt useful towards making a mail order kit.

For locals we can and do beat the cooling and dollar value of any SST cooler kit out there. For mail order, especially to Canada not so much. We provide excellent customer service for local EVOs, RalliArts and Eclipses all day every day since 1996. We have 16 customer cars in the shop right now. We do our best to provide customer service where we can to the national and international community. I learned a long time ago that we cant be everything to everyone.

Who is the most helpful "vendor" here? If you think about it you can tell how much I dont want you money. I dont even have a RalliArt parts page up. Support the business model you want. Dont pick on mine. I have 695 posts here and how many are sales posts?

Mike W

crak
06-08-2012, 02:29 PM
We are not set up to manufacture and ship this part. We do great customer service installing them local on cars. They are currently built one at a time with love :-) It is hard to get a local car with enough extra time to build a couple extra on the car. On my own car it has an early version and we have made changes since then. Also my own car has a custom larger 24" wide FMIC and custom piping that isnt the same as other cars so it isnt useful towards making a mail order kit.

For locals we can and do beat the cooling and dollar value of any SST cooler kit out there. For mail order, especially to Canada not so much. We provide excellent customer service for local EVOs, RalliArts and Eclipses all day every day since 1996. We have 16 customer cars in the shop right now. We do our best to provide customer service where we can to the national and international community. I learned a long time ago that we cant be everything to everyone.

Who is the most helpful "vendor" here? If you think about it you can tell how much I dont want you money. I dont even have a RalliArt parts page up. Support the business model you want. Dont pick on mine. I have 695 posts here and how many are sales posts?

Mike W

Thank you for the response. This would have been good information to know that once in a blue moon that you can build coolers for the international community. Hopefully this will go to show the community to save time and look elsewhere for SST coolers.

Its too bad that, your SST coolers are one of a kind, a shame they are so difficult to get if you do not live locally. Keep up the good work!

On a side note, just don't stop sending messages once you find out where it will be shipped to (to Gus as well). A simple concluding statement to say that you will not be able to ship at all would suffice.

C

TrailBrake
06-12-2012, 05:02 AM
I agree Crak.

We the customer appreciate when a vendor is busy or can't ship to our location. Just let us know and we will look elsewhere.

MTZL
06-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Mike@RRE can ship it to you guys in Canada but it would cost you guys more than from shops locally. He just doesnt want you guys to feel like you guys had paid more than you should. Plus dealing with Customs is a hassle.

crak
06-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Canada does suck for shipping. I deal with customs all the time, you give them money, they give you no hassle...its how it works (they love taxes).

Lucky I live near the border so I offered to ship it to North Dakota to avoid shipping cross country. Still never got a reply back. So, I don't think shipping was the issue. I think it was just availability to create the transmission cooler. I recall Gus@RRE mentioned using Mikes vehicle to fabricate an additional unit.

So, I am at a loss, it cant be shipping because I offered to ship it to ND and it was mentioned that they could make a duplicate.... its past me, no definite answer is given yet.

MTZL
06-12-2012, 09:46 AM
It may have to do with different make year. I think 09+ to newer RA have the same mounting points. It does take his away some of his allocated time for something else. He build em with love.

I think he is more concerned with the kit not getting to you (Damage in transit, lost in transit, etc) & someone possibly may have to eat the additional cost.

It happened to me with international shipping (package got lost in transit twice!)

Also there is an issue with tax. Maybe currency exchange rate.

Basically, if you really want it. Wait for him to build some more & get him the money it takes to make the kit & shipping to ND or + customs taxes.

Jackal
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
$ 680 sounds like a good deal if they include both coolers all the fittings,hoses and brackets for mounting. Did you just phone them during the day or how did you finally get a hold of someone.

MTZL
01-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Jackal, Wish I could help you out....
Best suggestion would be for you to make a trip out to RRE, not necessarily driving...
I can meet you down there, we'll bbq and go to the track,
so that way you're not just visiting RRE for SST Cooler.
We can make it a club event... just a thought...
I was thinking I can help ship the kit to you (I can buy you can pay me back) but if it gets lost, I really dont want to eat the cost or make you eat the cost...
I had issue with international shipment a few times (mostly lost shipment and Customs intercepting/stealing parts) which deterred me from making shipment or ordering parts internationally..Last time I ordered from Canada they sent me a flood motor ended up eating 2k+ USD. If I ever make it to Canada those thieves will get whats coming to them.

crak
01-18-2013, 10:11 AM
not all canadians are assholes. You just got a bad apple. Sorry to hear about your loss:(

Jackal
01-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Yes well I think there is no use beating a dead horse so I will go with my back up plan to order the fog light deletes in carbon fiber from John at JDP engineering to get more air flow to the stock cooler and order a second cooler from CXS racing source the hoses and fittings locally and grab some FFL-2 from the local Audi dealership.

TrailBrake
01-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Yes well I think there is no use beating a dead horse so I will go with my back up plan to order the fog light deletes in carbon fiber from John at JDP engineering to get more air flow to the stock cooler and order a second cooler from CXS racing source the hoses and fittings locally and grab some FFL-2 from the local Audi dealership.

For what it's worth, I have yet to see a 'slow down' warning when lapping in 15-20 minute sessions with just the JDP fog light delete kit and stock cooler.

Jackal
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Good to know, thanks for taking the time to post this.
I am also going to trim out some of the plastic on the inner fender liner to get more air flow as well. This along with the second trans cooler and maybe a homemade ducting of some sort. Once I have all the parts I will post pics on my build thread.

TrailBrake
01-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Good to know, thanks for taking the time to post this.
I am also going to trim out some of the plastic on the inner fender liner to get more air flow as well.

Great minds think alike ;)

My fender liners had a few cracks already, so I replaced most of it with wire mesh.

Jackal
01-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Great minds think alike ;)

My fender liners had a few cracks already, so I replaced most of it with wire mesh.

I may incorporate that into my design LOL ! Why?

Because Great minds think alike ;)

cjsabaki
04-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Finally had my bumper cover off this weekend and was looking at the cooler and set up, would it be possible to just piggy back 2 stock coolers in the stock location???

RALM
04-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Finally had my bumper cover off this weekend and was looking at the cooler and set up, would it be possible to just piggy back 2 stock coolers in the stock location???

It may work if you have space in between them in order to prevent them from heat soaking.