PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on best sounding exhaust

Rylinkus
06-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I know it's a relatively subjective question, but I'd like to make my RA sound better. I've tended to like Borla exhausts in the past, but am not sure in this case. Really I want a nice deep tone that's not overly loud. Not really too worried about power gains at the moment. So it begs the question, which brand? And CB, vs Muffler, vs. replacing the cat and everything behind it. Any opinions?

Also, I have listened to YT vids, but that doesn't say much. And I no of no RAs semi local to help base an opinion off.

Lisa11RA
06-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I think something to think about is the Mitsubishi warranty.. not sure what year your RA is and if you still have the warranty but I believe (please someone correct me if I am wrong) that it may void the warranty or they may fight covering issues if you change everything...

My husband has the AMS dual catback exhaust and it has a nice deep growl. I personally have the DC Sport dual catback but it isn't deep but I didn't want anything too loud (was more interested is a low tone and increased performance at a low price). I would suggest searching some you tube videos so that you can hear them on a RA.

I am sure a couple others will post up what they have so that it will help your search a little easier. Good luck :)

Rylinkus
06-02-2012, 07:02 PM
I think something to think about if the Mitsubishi warranty.. not sure what year your RA is and if you still have the warranty but I believe (please someone correct me if I am wrong) that it may void the warranty or they may fight covering issues if you change everything...

My husband has the AMS dual catback exhaust and it has a nice deep growl. I personally have the DC Sport dual catback but it isn't deep but I didn't want anything too loud (was more interested is a low tone and increased performance at a low price). I would suggest searching some you tube videos so that you can hear them on a RA.

I am sure a couple others will post up what they have so that it will help your search a little easier. Good luck :)

I've got a 2010 RA. I bought it used. I plan to keep all stock parts so if something should go wrong I can revert it back to stock. Honestly, an exhaust should hardly effect the car's overall reliability. I'm not talking adding nitrous and removing it if something goes wrong, I'm talking making the car sound a bit lower and meaner.

And the youtube vids are very deceptive. They didn't begin to help me with my Z28. Things simply sounded different. I'm not sure if it was the filming, the compression to put it on youtube, or simply not hearing in real life. Youtube makes me think I like the Borla sound the best. But internet vids aren't enough to make me pull the trigger.

RalliNurse
06-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Get Ultimate Racing cat-back...but I have the resonator mid-pipe w/mini-muffler...so it's a bit louder compare to the G35/37(sounds almost alike)...hope this helps...

EricS09RA
06-02-2012, 07:59 PM
A cat-back exhaust should not affect warranty. Turbo back will void warranty.

Lisa11RA
06-03-2012, 06:56 AM
A cat-back exhaust should not affect warranty. Turbo back will void warranty.

that I know otherwise I wouldn't have put one on m car.. but he said something about replacing everything vs. a catback exhaust.. that's why I said that (it's possible I am misreading his original post).

JP3NS
06-03-2012, 08:15 AM
GO custom!! You can make it as loud or quiet as you wish, Dual, single, or quad tip. Not to mention its the most cost effective way. Custom, Hands down. Just did mine and I absolutely love it. Plus if you cut it right before the cat flange it is essentially a one piece cat back.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/JPensBeatz/ralliartexhaustcloseup1.jpg

SubjecttoChange
06-03-2012, 09:09 AM
GO custom!! You can make it as loud or quiet as you wish, Dual, single, or quad tip. Not to mention its the most cost effective way. Custom, Hands down. Just did mine and I absolutely love it. Plus if you cut it right before the cat flange it is essentially a one piece cat back.

Where did you have it made or did you make it? Custom is a great option as there's no magic behind a muffler and pipes all things considered. RRE fabricates theirs in house essentially making them custom too.

JP3NS
06-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Well I designed it and bought the muffler and tips then went to a exhaust shop in queens,ny and explained to them what I wanted and they removed the old, and made the new.

Rylinkus
06-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Not going to replace the cat. Maybe in the future. Not really sure about replacing simply the muffler or from the catback. Really, all I'm looking for is sound.

Also, noreputable muffler shops local.

JP3NS
06-03-2012, 05:22 PM
If all ur looking for is sound, depending on how loud, just remove things like the res. And or the muffler. Its not that difficult to weld exhaust its the bending that takes a lil skill. With that said, any shop should be able to remove the res. And weld a pipe in place. I believe our stock piping is about 2 1/4.

hotkupa
06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
I have magnaflow and regret everyday not getting UR.

TrailBrake
06-03-2012, 06:57 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd186/JPensBeatz/ralliartexhaustcloseup1.jpg

Tastefully done. Very nice!

BravoZero
06-04-2012, 04:55 AM
The Borla is a very nice sounding exhaust. But the UR is also great if you want a full TBE.

Rawrlliart
06-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I'd love to get a borla. *drool*

any body know if the turbo xs full exhaust is any good?

NFSLancerRA
06-04-2012, 09:20 AM
I am dying to hear what my new exhaust sounds like. 3" DP, Resonated TP, UR Midpipe with Mini-muffler, and modified stock muffler. With my luck, it will sound like ass.

crak
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
custom, 3 inch, borla XR-1 muffler. its beastly. when you do go custom, make sure that the tips are out far enough and parallel to the ground and not touching the black plastic.

why you ask? because if you run rich like me the exhaust will make a nice little brown area from smoke on the back of you car (it does wipe off). Keeping it flat or slightly pointed down helps against that. Also it gets hot and if its touching the black plastic on the bumper is can melt it.

custom all the way

Rylinkus
06-04-2012, 04:10 PM
On the UR CBE, how much effect do the mini muffler and resonator have?

NFSLancerRA
06-04-2012, 05:13 PM
On the UR CBE, how much effect do the mini muffler and resonator have?

I won't have any way of knowing. They are getting bolted to a modified stock muffler. I anticipate that the sound will be minimal, no matter what. The goal is to create something that sounds as close to stock as possible.

MikeW-RRE
06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
The better it sounds on Youtube, the more obnoxious it will sound in person. Also cat or no cat changes the sound big time. Then add in a larger turbine wheel and that makes things louder still. Youtube videos do nothing to judge drone at highway speed. Low RPM drone comes into play more with the SST transmission since in auto mode it puts you in 6th gear all the time.

The cameras we all use for sound clips have a self leveling microphone. I can play a video 8 feet from a passing freight train (my kid loves watching them pass by the shop) along with a video of a dyno pull where you need ear protection and along with a video of a sweet exhaust made form inside the car and they all peg the volume meter the same.

Figure a way to hear one in person is my advice. Also if you want some nice sound for cheap, drop your rear muffler off the car and go for a drive around the block. You will be surprised how it sounds if you want something a little fun and cheap. If you like it, get a local muffler shop to make you a single tip bolt on straight pipe piece and rock that until you decide what you really want to do.

Mike W

GAbOS
06-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Also if you want some nice sound for cheap, drop your rear muffler off the car and go for a drive around the block. You will be surprised how it sounds if you want something a little fun and cheap.

Mike W

+1 Doing this now! Since Carson City doesn't smog. ;)

ColdNapalm
06-05-2012, 03:09 PM
True, videos don't really do a good job of catching sound. And if you have a testpipe with a UR catback (no resonator or mini muffler), your gonna need a set of earplugs at the higher RPM. The mini muffler and resonator on the UR set up makes a pretty damn big difference tho. With both on, it isn't much louder then if you stuck just the test pipe on a stock exhaust set up from what I heard in person.

As for best sound...well the loudest is the UR and works (which may or may not be a UR rebrand...but they are pretty much the same design so they are the same in sound). The least amount of drone is cp-e. Deepest is the DC. Although I will say that I have not heard any of RRE's stuff in person nor the buschur or AMS exhaust.

NFSLancerRA
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Now I am curious how this UR midpipe and custom axle-back is going to sound.

bossssman38
06-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Now I am curious how this UR midpipe and custom axle-back is going to sound.

Haven't installed it yet? :p

How many mufflers are going on the axleback part?

NFSLancerRA
06-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Haven't installed it yet? :p

How many mufflers are going on the axleback part?

Nope, the mid-pipe, HFC, and DP are all at the ceramic coating place. I have two Flowmaster Series 10 mufflers going on the back. It will likely be loud as all get out, but at least it will gurble instead of drone.

GAbOS
06-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Nope, the mid-pipe, HFC, and DP are all at the ceramic coating place. I have two Flowmaster Series 10 mufflers going on the back. It will likely be loud as all get out, but at least it will gurble instead of drone.

No resonators or anything from DP to Muff? I got to hear those Series 10's!

I've often thought about doing a stock mid pipe, or heavily resonated custom to Y after rear axle. Then a single in/out large oval to the drivers side tip, and an exhaust dump/cut out for the passengers side tip.

NFSLancerRA
06-12-2012, 10:11 PM
No resonators or anything from DP to Muff? I got to hear those Series 10's!

I've often thought about doing a stock mid pipe, or heavily resonated custom to Y after rear axle. Then a single in/out large oval to the drivers side tip, and an exhaust dump/cut out for the passengers side tip.

There is a Vibrant muffler on the mid-pipe, but other than that...nothing. :D

As I said before, I had a friend help me with the design. Supposedly, it will be a few DBs quieter with 2.5" twin mufflers, as opposed to two 2.25" pipes after the Y. It slows the exhaust down and allows the sound waves to bounce around in the series 10's, which are not straight-through. If it really is a problem, I might invest in a much better Cat. AMG/Mercedes make some really good stuff with platinum cores. The heavy metal drastically changes the sound of the exhaust, plus it is MUCH cleaner without a ton of build-up. You pay for the convenience, though. They are $500 used.

RALM
06-13-2012, 09:58 AM
I have a custom turbo back exhaust, no resonator and 2 apexi n1 mufflers it has a nice growl but not too loud.

NFSLancerRA
06-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I have a custom turbo back exhaust, no resonator and 2 apexi n1 mufflers it has a nice growl but not too loud.

This is what I have, now. I have a full Ti CBE, HFC, and no resonators. The drone is a serious problem (for me). I want something that will snarl when I want it to. A friend of mine just had an AMS CBE "clone" made locally. The entire setup cost MAYBE $300. When all said and done, my setup will be somewhere around $800. However, I did opt for the ceramic coating, which I recommend to everyone. I got my UR pieces back today. They were rusting on the flanges. The welds were rusting. It was media blasted and coated, and it is now one of the prettiest pieces I have seen. It is well worth it for peace of mind. I might strip the paint off of my wheels and have the same guy powder-coat them a gunmetal grey (matches the trim perfectly). At $100 per wheel, it is worth it. Powdercoating and Ceramic coating are your friends. I am telling you. Do it.

Edit: I have had every single part, currently on the car, redone in either powder or ceramic. I am really happy with the way that it has turned out. This is shaping up to be a pretty damn good build. We have some of the best shops/tuners down here in FL. I forgot how much I missed this place.

RalliAaron
06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
I have the AMS turbo back, and I think its absolutely amazing. Very deep idle, and very throaty at WOT.

NFSLancerRA
06-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I have the AMS turbo back, and I think its absolutely amazing. Very deep idle, and very throaty at WOT.

A friend of mine had an exhaust shop duplicate the AMS CBE exhaust with identical mufflers and everything. We lined it up with a real one, and the sound was almost identical (if not better out of the local shop). Total cost: $300

KrazyRA
06-20-2012, 12:40 AM
FYI to all who are planning to get the Magnaflow dual exit cat-back. I thought I'd contribute to the Ralliart community. I got mine for $453. http://www.wcpdiesel.com/exhaust-systems-components/exhaust-systems/magnaflow-15597-stainless-steel-single-in-dual-out-rear-exit-cat-back-exhaust.html

Make an offer and it will automatically counter offer for 453. something I don't remember. Also its free shipping.

NFSLancerRA
06-20-2012, 03:35 AM
FYI to all who are planning to get the Magnaflow dual exit cat-back. I thought I'd contribute to the Ralliart community. I got mine for $453. http://www.wcpdiesel.com/exhaust-systems-components/exhaust-systems/magnaflow-15597-stainless-steel-single-in-dual-out-rear-exit-cat-back-exhaust.html

Make an offer and it will automatically counter offer for 453. something I don't remember. Also its free shipping.

Holy crap! Now that is a deal!

RALM
06-20-2012, 09:26 PM
True thas the tone Im looking for, my Apexi N1 mufflers give the car a nice low rumble at idle, a nice growl in the mid range rpms but a little raspy towards the top end. If these mufflers ever go bad im going back to magnaflow for sure because of the unique and sexy growl.

NFSLancerRA
06-27-2012, 06:44 AM
New pictures:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/b6642432.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/180cd83a.jpg

It sounds like a Toyota Supra. That is not an exaggeration. I will post a sound clip, later.

RALM
06-27-2012, 07:43 AM
New pictures:

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/b6642432.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/180cd83a.jpg

It sounds like a Toyota Supra. That is not an exaggeration. I will post a sound clip, later.

looks sexy what mufflers are those

NFSLancerRA
06-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Flowmaster Series 10

KrazyRA
06-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Looks nice! Curious about the sound. What resonator are you using?

NFSLancerRA
06-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Looks nice! Curious about the sound. What resonator are you using?

It is a Vibrant Mini Muffler.

p1llar
06-28-2012, 05:51 AM
NFS- That exhaust looks effn' boss.

RALM
06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Flowmasters on a import is unique and not something you see everyday. and Im sure it has a distink sound. Its pretty cool.

Dbzguy
06-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Very curious for a sound clip! I had flowmasters on my last 4 cars and always loved the way they sound, but those were all V8s

NFSLancerRA
06-28-2012, 03:56 PM
NFS- That exhaust looks effn' boss.

Thank you. And the whole thing is ceramic coated, so it will always look that way. The house next door to mine is being built, which means constant construction noise. I will head out, after they leave, to take a clip of the sound.

NFSLancerRA
06-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Flowmasters on a import is unique and not something you see everyday. and Im sure it has a distink sound. Its pretty cool.

It has a little rumble at idle. I successfully got rid of all of the drone on the highway. At cruising speed, it is silent. I can't believe that it worked as well as it did, but it totally changed the tone and quality of sound.

Dbzguy
07-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Hey NFS did you get a sound clip yet? Im really wanting to hear how it sounds bro!

NFSLancerRA
07-06-2012, 01:20 PM
http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/?action=view&current=3d12f642.mp4

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/th_3d12f642.jpg (http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/NFSEclipseGT/?action=view&current=3d12f642.mp4)

NFSLancerRA
07-06-2012, 01:37 PM
If someone can show me how to embed a video again, that would be great. :lol:

SubjecttoChange
07-06-2012, 02:18 PM
That thing growls so much now. Sounds so angry... Awesome. Is it loud?

The drone on my current setup is killing me too... Drone much anymore?

MTZL
07-06-2012, 04:55 PM
If someone can show me how to embed a video again, that would be great. :lol:

youtube instructions.

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=2475

NFSLancerRA
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
That thing growls so much now. Sounds so angry... Awesome. Is it loud?

The drone on my current setup is killing me too... Drone much anymore?

None. At highway speeds, it is silent. It took quite a bit to get the placement of the mufflers right, get the size of the pipes right, etc. However, it was worth it. I love the way that it sounds.

I have been working on the design for quite some time. I moved around the muffler on my UR midpipe. That made a huge amount of difference.

BravoZero
07-06-2012, 05:45 PM
youtube instructions.

http://clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=2475

He's using Photobucket for his video, youtube instructions won't work.

None. At highway speeds, it is silent. It took quite a bit to get the placement of the mufflers right, get the size of the pipes right, etc. However, it was worth it. I love the way that it sounds.

I have been working on the design for quite some time. I moved around the muffler on my UR midpipe. That made a huge amount of difference.

Damn dude, I want. Sounds excellent!

Dbzguy
07-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Very nice. So you have 2 series 10s hooked up then?

NFSLancerRA
07-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Very nice. So you have 2 series 10s hooked up then?

Essentially, yes, as I stated in my earlier post. It is a UR midpipe with Vibrant mini-muffler and two 2.5" I/O Flowmaster Series 10 mufflers. I also have a HFC and DP. The whole thing is ceramic coated. I am not sure how that affects the sound, but I am told that it does. I also moved the mini-muffler an inch forward on the pipe.

musicpimp
07-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Essentially, yes, as I stated in my earlier post. It is a UR midpipe with Vibrant mini-muffler and two 2.5" I/O Flowmaster Series 10 mufflers. I also have a HFC and DP. The whole thing is ceramic coated. I am not sure how that affects the sound, but I am told that it does. I also moved the mini-muffler an inch forward on the pipe.

I find that to be interesting. I just fabbed up my exhaust and used a Flowmaster 80 series crossflow muffler this morning. I just have a straight pipe from the cat-back with a few verrrrrry small bends in it before the muffler.

I sound almost exactly the same as you except I have a little bit less of a gurgle. I'll post a pic soon (I've got a big drive tomorrow and it's already 1am here) but won't post up a clip because we sound exactly the same. This is the first time I've actually looked at this thread lol. If someone deems it to be necessary though, I don't mind posting up a clip but it really is going to be a waste.

The only main difference that I can hear is that -so far- I have a little tiny bit of drone at highway speeds. It's not a lot and I'm able to live with it. I don't have anything coated yet either.

Edit: My sound is also a little tiny bit deeper. I'm sure if I had put on a resonator like you have, we'd probably sound exactly alike. Bah I'll get a video up soon.

Oh and first -real- post lol. Former 4g eclipse owner.

marell31
07-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Well I designed it and bought the muffler and tips then went to a exhaust shop in queens,ny and explained to them what I wanted and they removed the old, and made the new.

Where at?? you got the nam/address of the shop you did this??

NFSLancerRA
07-30-2012, 01:05 PM
I sound almost exactly the same as you except I have a little bit less of a gurgle. I'll post a pic soon (I've got a big drive tomorrow and it's already 1am here) but won't post up a clip because we sound exactly the same. This is the first time I've actually looked at this thread lol. If someone deems it to be necessary though, I don't mind posting up a clip but it really is going to be a waste.

I can't wait to hear it. I am all for Flowmaster mufflers. They sound great.

musicpimp
08-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I haven't been sleeping on you guys! Ive been busy as hell this past month. I don't have any internet in the house so as soon as I get wifi ill upload my vid

musicpimp
08-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I4upJDl9iq8
Custom-fabbed straight pipe from the cat-back paired with a Flowmaster 80 series crossflow muffler. Start up, idle, rev to about 4k (three times) and then rev to redline (twice). Not running any other mods.

GAbOS
08-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Any details, or walk around vids?

So far, I have to say this is prolly the best sounding I've heard yet. It takes teh stock tone and really drives it. All others 'fake' the tone in one fashion or another.

musicpimp
08-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Are you talking about my car? I'll take a pic next time I'm underneath the car. It's just a straight pipe with a slight bend in it hooked up to a Flowmaster Series 80 Crossflow.

GAbOS
08-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Are you talking about my car? I'll take a pic next time I'm underneath the car. It's just a straight pipe with a slight bend in it hooked up to a Flowmaster Series 80 Crossflow.

No.. Real life sound experience. Lots of wind on your cam, and the sound is sensitive.

musicpimp
08-29-2012, 09:08 PM
No.. Real life sound experience. Lots of wind on your cam, and the sound is sensitive.

That was taken from my phone lol. Sony Xperia Ion. Overall I'm happy with the way it came out. It drones a bit on the highway but the tradeoff is worth it.

musicpimp
08-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Link fixed.

Sorry for all the quadruple posting but I'm also testing my sig/avatar and trying to get enough posts in order to post in the marketplace so I'm finding any excuse. Mods can slap me on the wrist if you guys do so wish.

GAbOS
08-29-2012, 10:19 PM
No worries. Get some startups and walk arounds. :)

Also testing new sig.

musicpimp
09-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Can a mod please sticky this? This thread answers a lot of noob questions.

wemay
12-28-2012, 06:48 AM
In case anyone was interested. This was the axle-back muffler recommended to me by Magnaflow to go along with the stock mid-pipe. I'm sure others would work just fine as well, depending on aftermarket mid-pipe diameter. Technicians name was Nick; Part# 12266, 5x8x18 2.5 inlet / 2x 2.25 out. I installed it yesterday. Love the snarly sound!

SOUND CLIP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14rPzQdgaoo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

dennis_svensson
01-15-2013, 02:14 PM
how can i make it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYpc_Jpdus

RALM
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
how can i make it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYpc_Jpdus

I doubt our car will sound like that two different sizes motors, plus that car is N/A. But I guess you can get it closs to that with a resonated test pipe and simular muffler. Its worth a try if you really was the sound of a 350z:)

DEEZ8
01-31-2013, 04:58 AM
In case anyone was interested. This was the axle-back muffler recommended to me by Magnaflow to go along with the stock mid-pipe. I'm sure others would work just fine as well, depending on aftermarket mid-pipe diameter. Technicians name was Nick; Part# 12266, 5x8x18 2.5 inlet / 2x 2.25 out. I installed it yesterday. Love the snarly sound!

SOUND CLIP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14rPzQdgaoo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That sounds good any other videos and also how much did that run you?

BlackBird
01-31-2013, 07:06 AM
Heres a video of my exhaust. Its the Borla catback exhaust. ran me about $800 total, shipping and all. It sounds so mean when your just cruising. I'm extremely happy with it. Some compare the idle to an 8 :p 65mph+ it can get a little annoying if your not used to loud exhausts. more vids to come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeKzJjTAek

wemay
01-31-2013, 03:13 PM
That sounds good any other videos and also how much did that run you?

Thanks, $300 for muffler and install at Miami Muffler.

Here is another video/sound clip:
http://youtu.be/4vGQNRL8hag

Napius
02-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Heres a video of my exhaust. Its the Borla catback exhaust. ran me about $800 total, shipping and all. It sounds so mean when your just cruising. I'm extremely happy with it. Some compare the idle to an 8 :p 65mph+ it can get a little annoying if your not used to loud exhausts. more vids to come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeKzJjTAek

Yes, please post more videos! I'm planning on getting the Borla in a couple months, but most of my 50 mile round trip commute is highway, so I'm often between 65-80 mph. Does it drone a lot? I don't want an exhaust that will drive me crazy or interfere with my music. I also drive at 45-50 mph a lot and usually stay in 5th gear. Is that also annoying?

BlackBird
03-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Yes, please post more videos! I'm planning on getting the Borla in a couple months, but most of my 50 mile round trip commute is highway, so I'm often between 65-80 mph. Does it drone a lot? I don't want an exhaust that will drive me crazy or interfere with my music. I also drive at 45-50 mph a lot and usually stay in 5th gear. Is that also annoying?

Hey sorry for the late response. The borla exhaust is beast, i will say that. It does drone quite a bit once you hit 60mph+ while your in 6th it gets loud, rumor has it that borla has a cone shaped thing-muh-bob to reduce drone. Not sure if its true. Im used to it and i love it. Just cruising around 40 -55 not annoying in the least bit. Deep exhaust. People will hear you coming about 2 blocks away :D all in all its personal preference. Ill try and get a couple more vids.

Napius
03-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Hey sorry for the late response. The borla exhaust is beast, i will say that. It does drone quite a bit once you hit 60mph+ while your in 6th it gets loud, rumor has it that borla has a cone shaped thing-muh-bob to reduce drone. Not sure if its true. Im used to it and i love it. Just cruising around 40 -55 not annoying in the least bit. Deep exhaust. People will hear you coming about 2 blocks away :D all in all its personal preference. Ill try and get a couple more vids.

No problem. I won't be able to get the exhaust until April, so I have some time. You've got me questioning it a little, but I'll probably still get it. Don't get me wrong, I love the loud, beastly sound. My main concerns are just cops giving me a hard time and the drone being so bad that it bothers me and I can't hear my music.

mangnok
03-02-2013, 09:06 PM
If you ask best sound (don't care about price )

HKS legamax for nice deep tone and good power respond , or GP-sport nice and loud , :) or ultimate-racing are good too

'11WallyWorldHauler
03-02-2013, 11:44 PM
The better it sounds on Youtube, the more obnoxious it will sound in person. Also cat or no cat changes the sound big time. Then add in a larger turbine wheel and that makes things louder still. Youtube videos do nothing to judge drone at highway speed. Low RPM drone comes into play more with the SST transmission since in auto mode it puts you in 6th gear all the time.

The cameras we all use for sound clips have a self leveling microphone. I can play a video 8 feet from a passing freight train (my kid loves watching them pass by the shop) along with a video of a dyno pull where you need ear protection and along with a video of a sweet exhaust made form inside the car and they all peg the volume meter the same.

Figure a way to hear one in person is my advice. Also if you want some nice sound for cheap, drop your rear muffler off the car and go for a drive around the block. You will be surprised how it sounds if you want something a little fun and cheap. If you like it, get a local muffler shop to make you a single tip bolt on straight pipe piece and rock that until you decide what you really want to do.

Mike W

I came to this conclusion after looking into a Silencer for a gun, and the silencer salesman made the same point (sorta) that videos on Youtube really can't capture gun shots otherwise they would peg out/break - Buying exhaust for sound over the internet would be like buying blue jeans for fit its a gamble.

Napius
03-06-2013, 08:27 AM
I came to this conclusion after looking into a Silencer for a gun, and the silencer salesman made the same point (sorta) that videos on Youtube really can't capture gun shots otherwise they would peg out/break - Buying exhaust for sound over the internet would be like buying blue jeans for fit its a gamble.

I wish I could hear them all in person, but that's one downside to having a more rare car. Plus everyone has different setups that could alter the sound of a catback anyway. I don't really have anything to go on except YouTube videos and people's testimonies on the forums. Unfortunately things like "loud" are very subjective and exhausts aren't returnable once installed. So I've just looked up multiple clips of each exhaust, and I'm trying to go by more of a comparison than anything else.

RALM
09-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Hey is anyone running any type of mini mufflers with no resonators with or without any high flow cats?

Like these
http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/exhaust/section/mufflers-resonators/part-type/mufflers/brand/magnaflow/universal/yes/inlet-diameter-in/2-500-in/case-shape/round/overall-length-in/12-000-in?SortBy=None&SortOrder=Ascending

I know someone is running these.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11060