PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Bodies

RALM
06-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Hey guys Im thinking of purchasing the 75mm Boomba TB does anyone own one and if so do you feel any moderate power gains? Im sure it brings a little more life to the engine bay.

MTZL
06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Your idle will be rough.

Engine will get louder.

You'll change the engine response.
a bit faster maybe if you dont have any CEL or SST issues.

BTW, I dont own any Boomba products.

RALM
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Your idle will be rough.

Engine will get louder.

You'll change the engine response.
a bit faster maybe if you dont have any CEL or SST issues.

BTW, I dont own any Boomba products.

Hey, thanks for responding and what makes you think the idle will be rough? Im sure the engine will get slightly louder and im praying for quicker reaspons. And I dont see why the cel or sst would come up or have any issuse.

MTZL
06-14-2012, 09:52 AM
It will be louder & abit of quicker response. I had bigger intake manifold with bigger throttle body on K20 Civic. My idle jumps up & down.
Engine over heated since more air & more fuel needed more cooling.
I took it off it was too aggressive replaced with lower model intake manifold & stock TB.

I used to drive with heater blasted all the way up.
I used to put the car in Neutral to control idle issues.
This was on my 2000 Honda civic with Bigger 2.0Liter Honda motor.

Just imagine a big gate with narrow corridor, you will create a bottle neck.

If you change something in a system that depends on many components to work with each other, you will need to make sure they will work together without issues or replace all components to play nicely together. Without check & balance you will have issues.

All I can say is try it out. Let us know what happens.

MTZL
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Anytime you enlarge anything in the intake tract you're going to lower the engines efficiency to maintain vacuum. Vacuum on the low end when volume is low is a major part in low and midrange power production.

Which will result in rough idle possibly CEL
SST is programmed with all kinds of parameter.
I dont know much about it so I wont go into details.

RALM
06-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Ok and thanks I have also added a larger throttle body with a match ported intake manifold and heads on an 5.0 mustang and all was well. I didnt over heat due to the fact that i had converted to an electric fan and new radiator. The idle was iffy do to the egr valve getting stuck open so i blocked it off. But it didnt cause any over heating. They may have been a wireing or vacum issuse.

MTZL
06-15-2012, 12:20 PM
We should keep on topic with our RA.
This is RA forum after all.

So what are your plans anyhow with bigger TB on the RA? What else are you planning to do with it (RA)?

MTZL
06-16-2012, 09:34 AM
$595.00??? For throttle body?

Get an Evo X Turbo instead.

RALM
06-17-2012, 01:01 PM
$595.00??? For throttle body?

Get an Evo X Turbo instead.

I was thinking about getting the evo x turbo since i have the Ur intercooler which is 4.5 in thick core (it works great). I also have the upper and lower intercooler pipes. I like the way the turbo spools up quickly so I will just keep the stock one for now. But I want to gain a little more power were ever possible while using the stock turbo. Plus its my daily driver not a track car. once i get the TB i will get it dyno tuned. Even though the access port 91 octane stage two tune dose well a custom tune is better. I also plan on getting the AEM meth kit. Whats ur plans for ur RA?

zeRep85
06-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I was thinking about getting the evo x turbo since i have the Ur intercooler which is 4.5 in thick core (it works great). I also have the upper and lower intercooler pipes. I like the way the turbo spools up quickly so I will just keep the stock one for now. But I want to gain a little more power were ever possible while using the stock turbo. Plus its my daily driver not a track car. once i get the TB i will get it dyno tuned. Even though the access port 91 octane stage two tune dose well a custom tune is better. I also plan on getting the AEM meth kit. Whats ur plans for ur RA?

You max the turbo with simple bolt-ons and a tune...

Just put that money in an evelope and mail it to me...i will put it toward something worth it :D

zeRep

RALM
06-18-2012, 04:34 AM
You max the turbo with simple bolt-ons and a tune...

Just put that money in an evelope and mail it to me...i will put it toward something worth it :D

zeRep

ok will do just send me your account number along with a copy of both sides of your credit and debit cards. An I may have maxed the turbo out with bolt ons and a tune so I should see even more gains when ever i decied to move up to evo x or larger turbo.

zeRep85
06-19-2012, 12:11 PM
ok will do just send me your account number along with a copy of both sides of your credit and debit cards. An I may have maxed the turbo out with bolt ons and a tune so I should see even more gains when ever i decied to move up to evo x or larger turbo.

That is why you must decide now what your final goal is....if you are uncertain, it might cost you more money in the long run.

Unless, money isnt an issue like for some members ;)

zeRep

RALM
06-19-2012, 01:46 PM
my final goal is to be able to make at least 350 hp &tq to the wheels, I know this will mean I will have to upgrade the turbo and manifold and that will be done latter down the line when a company makes a kit that is compatible with the stock lines. But for now I will also purchase the 75mm TB, some stage one cams since they are compatible with the stock turbo and valve springs, a lightened crank pully, fadanza flywheel, dyno tune and a water meth kit. But I want the car to make 350 hp and tq to the wheels without the meth. (this is what my power department will consist of)

My current mods are access port stage 2, 91 octane tune, turbo back exhaust, ingen intake, 2.5 in turbo compressor outlet pipe, UR up and lower intercooler pipes, UR 4.5 in core intercooler, Sturt bars in the rear and front and nicely lowered.

zeRep85
06-19-2012, 02:12 PM
my final goal is to be able to make at least 350 hp &tq to the wheels, I know this will mean I will have to upgrade the turbo and manifold and that will be done latter down the line when a company makes a kit that is compatible with the stock lines. But for now I will also purchase the 75mm TB, some stage one cams since they are compatible with the stock turbo and valve springs, a lightened crank pully, fadanza flywheel, dyno tune and a water meth kit. But I want the car to make 350 hp and tq to the wheels without the meth. (this is what my power department will consist of)

My current mods are access port stage 2, 91 octane tune, turbo back exhaust, ingen intake, 2.5 in turbo compressor outlet pipe, UR up and lower intercooler pipes, UR 4.5 in core intercooler, Sturt bars in the rear and front and nicely lowered.

Look at Razorlabs build or MikeW@RRE build...they hit 400awhp with less mods.

Dont get all Honda on us ;)

zeRep

RalliNurse
06-19-2012, 02:21 PM

zeRep

Dude...u r harsh...lol

BravoZero
06-19-2012, 03:17 PM

zeRep

Dude...u r harsh...lol

Cold blooded! Lol :D

zeRep85
06-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Dude...u r harsh...lol

Im not trying to be. :/

Im just trying to help him out. :)

zeRep

RALM
06-20-2012, 09:15 AM

zeRep

lol i will not go honda and ill check out their post or thread.

RALM
06-20-2012, 09:42 AM

zeRep

hey could you send me the link to either of the threads in whick Razorlabss or MikeW@RRE made 400hp

BravoZero
06-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Do a google search, they're out there.

razorlab
06-20-2012, 12:38 PM
But for now I will also purchase the 75mm TB, some stage one cams since they are compatible with the stock turbo and valve springs, a lightened crank pully, fadanza flywheel, dyno tune and a water meth kit. But I want the car to make 350 hp and tq to the wheels without the meth. (this is what my power department will consist of)

Throttle body and cams will be a 100% waste of money on the stock turbo. Any shop that says otherwise just want your money.

I agree with others, your whole list is honda-a-rific. Lightened crank pulley? waste of money.

You current mod list is pretty much perfect for the stock turbo.

If your goal is only 350, upgrade the turbo to something like a BBX Lite or FPgreen, get larger injectors, a good tune and you will make 350 on a dynojet no problem. No need for cams or meth.

I've tuned 500whp+ Evo's with stock throttle bodies. Don't waste your money.

BravoZero
06-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Why the obsession with the throttle body? That should be the least of your concerns right now. There are plenty of RA/X owners with the OEM throttle bodies with high amounts of power without replacements.

NFSLancerRA
06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
COAvbDK2S5s

BravoZero
06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I am no editing this, so I will post it both ways:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/COAvbDK2S5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/v/COAvbDK2S5s

Fixed... was that so hard? Lol.

RalliNurse
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM

HI...........................

NFSLancerRA
06-20-2012, 05:17 PM

I now see how it works.

NFSLancerRA
06-20-2012, 05:31 PM
But yeah, I am just dropping in to say hi. I read the thread. I had a lol or two. I just wanted to acknowledge such fine automotive comedy. You can't make this shit up. It just happens, and I really appreciate it when it does.

BravoZero
06-20-2012, 06:34 PM
But yeah, I am just dropping in to say hi. I read the thread. I had a lol or two. I just wanted to acknowledge such fine automotive comedy. You can't make this shit up. It just happens, and I really appreciate it when it does.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-h6RUES4WhwE/TrrJJ2JehGI/AAAAAAAAABQ/RV1QPQMKqvE/NotSureIfSerious.png

RALM
06-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Not quite. But its odd how you guys bashed my idea of the throttle body and stage one cams. You all did the same thing when I asked about the intercooler at least most of you did. I installed it anyway and it works fantastic no lag it stays way cooler and delivers power on demand and best of all its always cool to the touch. So im wondering if I should be the anti guy and stray away from the group thing and purchase the TB or not even though its been downed so bad with mugged upon with a ice cold sholder.

RalliNurse
06-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Not quite. But its odd how you guys bashed my idea of the throttle body and stage one cams. You all did the same thing when I asked about the intercooler at least most of you did. I installed it anyway and it works fantastic no lag it stays way cooler and delivers power on demand and best of all its always cool to the touch. So im wondering if I should be the anti guy and stray away from the group thing and purchase the TB or not even though its been downed so bad with mugged upon with a ice cold sholder.

Dude...don't feel bad...some of us on the board just have somewhat different kind of sense of humor...no harm meant...hopefully you don't take personally...all in all...we just want to make sure everyone is doing our cars right!!! especially mitsu is killing us...the ra/evo owners w/warrenties denials...like MTZL stated...in order for our sst to last longer...every part that we put in have to play nice with each other...you should already know how fragil our sst is...personally...i hate to see/hear some of the members' sst get blown and mitsu is denying warrenty...some of those guys fight tooth and nails with them to get it replaced...of course some won the case but some lose and eventually they have to give up their car...for a $10000 unit...i better make sure ido it right...cuz i dont have that kind of cash nor the time to fight mitsu to get it replaced...if something is not need it...skip it...save your money on something more meaningful that's all...I hope that you don't take it personally...we're all here to learn from one another and help each other out...yeah...sometimes we do joke around but once again...we're not here to hurt anyone or being an ass to newbies...hope this helps...

NFSLancerRA
06-21-2012, 04:15 AM

You do understand that the underlying principles in this world are math and physics based? This isn't just our opinion. You don't seem to get that. You are doing modifications that may pump up the power level by a few points, but most people who go through with this crap are N/A and have no other recourse (at least so they think). Your car is boosted. You needn't screw with all of this crap. You don't seem to have any clue how these cars work. If you swap in the Evolution X turbocharger setup, you may spend $1.5k and will be done with your ultimate power goal. Go ahead and total up all of the crap, which you have proposed.

And don't give me some garbage story about how you are concerned with turbo lag or some other nonsense. These turbochargers come on a stock Evolution. Mine spools like a champ, and so did my RAD.

Here is the punch line: I am the king of "unnecessary modifications". You should see the dual fuel tank setup that I am currently working on. Completely out there, but not pointless. If I seem harsh and irritated, it is just because I see some of my past ideas about car modification in your list. I had to do a metric ton of research before I even started touching the RA, and I still didn't get it quite right. That was annoying. Either way, I mean no disrespect. I am just an asshole. :)

BravoZero
06-21-2012, 05:10 AM

Dude, that wasn't even in response to your post... that was a response to NFS. Stop being a Sensitive Sally, you want to post your thoughts and ideas, be prepared for criticism, positive or negative. Obviously there are guys on here that have more experience that most of us combined, so I'd take their word over Joe Schmo posting some random crap online. If you can't take criticism and end up getting all defensive, then don't post, that simple.

RALM
06-21-2012, 06:11 AM
Guys relax no harm taken im hear to learn like everyone else. Believe me im not tring to be a know it all, damage my motor or any of the above. I dont take your comments personally I just thought it was rather ironic. Im not ready for an evo x turbo swap yet and would prefer to wait for a company to make a turbo that will still use the current line an other peaces that are on already on the car. What ill do is conduct more research on the tb and see what pros and cons iv found on it. Is that far? I enjoy criticism so keep it comming!

MTZL
06-21-2012, 08:51 AM
CBRD (mfg) manufacturer/customized service Ralliart Stock Turbo with magic vodoo internal part to increase flow of the tiny turbo that could & dub it "RAD" maybe it means radical. This route will maintain your current Exhaust Manifold, line, etc. All you may need to do is send in your turbo core & money. CBRD do the vodoo that they do & voila. You have yourself a stock appearing quick spool-er.

BravoZero
06-21-2012, 09:08 AM
RAD means Ralli Art Designed (Developed?).

RALM
06-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Yeah iv heard of the RAD configuration its pretty neat i was actually considering sending them my turbo, but it sucks that they dont make a tubuler turbo manifold for the RA's

zeRep85
06-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah iv heard of the RAD configuration its pretty neat i was actually considering sending them my turbo, but it sucks that they dont make a tubuler turbo manifold for the RA's

It sucks?!? why make something if the stock one works wonderfully with the stock turbo?

Your post always point back to ur Honda days. Go ahead buy a boomba. At the end of the day you will do what u want, we just tried to help and save u money and headaches.

zeRep - Mr. nice guy

BravoZero
06-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Alright guys, either back on topic or this thread will be closed. Honda days and RAD turbos are not the main point of this thread.

crak
06-21-2012, 12:42 PM
I am almost done working on my flux capacitator.

IN BEFORE THE CLOSE!

Drew
06-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Not to join the whipping party, but I have to know are you going to port your manifold and increase the diameter of the intake piping? If not, you are going to see ZERO from this. No HP and no increased throttle response. Increased throttle response comes from the ability to move air faster. If I put a 5" diameter tube in my intake pipe, it will do the same thing as a larger throttle body....nothing. Just because the throttle body is larger doesn't mean it can magically move more air faster through the openings before and after it.

NFSLancerRA
06-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Meh, I do some pretty stupid shit to my cars. You should see what is in the works for the Evo, dual fuel tanks (one of them completely custom made and designed by me, fingers crossed). Both will be controlled with a master arming switch and wired into the factory fuel level gauge. It will require relocation of the battery and windshield washer fluid reservoir. It will require cutting into the trunk lid and mounting a separate filler cap and filler door.

Is any of that really necessary? No. Should I probably just switch to E85? Probably. But I do know why I am doing what I am doing and how to do it (or so I think). It has taken hours and hours of studying diagrams of fuel tanks in trucks, time attack cars, etc. For me, it isn't only about making more power or stopping insanely much harder (in the case of the brakes, which I had to have). Understanding how and why things work is fascinating to me. Normal people probably spend their free time playing video games and watching TV. I have spent the last 4 hours after work reading wiring diagrams and fitting guides. This "hobby" is not a joke. You can walk into it without knowing anything, but it will cost you money and a lot of frustration. The key is to know WHY you are doing WHAT you are doing. I stated that in my Sticky on EvoM. I mean it. I probably should not have bashed the OP, and I apologize for that. Just take a step back, though, and think about this modification. Drew explained why it will make no difference for you. I have HUGE piping, so this might actually do something on my setup. This is not designed for you. Just think about why. That is all.

razorlab
06-21-2012, 10:00 PM
This thread seriously sucks so much. I'm not joking either.

BravoZero
06-22-2012, 04:55 AM
And that's why it's being closed and damned to hell. Buh-bye!

RALM
06-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Hey guys im not sure who closed my thread but anyway to answer one of the last poster reponse I do have larger piping from the compressor outlet pipe to he UR lower IC pipe. The compressor outlet pipe is 2.5 in compared to the stock 1.75 in, the upper IC UR pipe is 2.5 in and the lower is the same. And of course I also have UR's 4.5 in core IC all of which is installed with a Cobb stage 2 tune. and since the Evo X intake manifold will not fit the RA according to Boomba I will eventually get it ported.

MTZL
06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
throttle bodies are typically flow rated where the restriction causes 28" H2O (about 1 psi) of pressure differential across the throttle body.

On a N/A engine, that bit of restriction won't cause you much HP loss since you are unlikely to flow enough air to really see the restriction, never mind that the tuned port manifolds tend to somewhat compensate for a slight restriction, but it also won't hurt anything - since fuel injected engines don't suffer from the issues that carbureted engines with over sized carbs do.

positive displacement supercharged engine, every psi of drop in front of the SC inlet is good for about 15 HP loss.

throttle body should be closely matched to the air requirements of the engine. Look at it this way - if you've got a throttle body that delivers 100% of the peak air requirements of your engine when the throttle plate is fully open, you have control of the air throughout 100% of the throttle position range. If you go to an oversized TB that delivers 100% of the air that your engine can consume while the throttle plate is only 60% open, you have given up usable throttle-control range for no advantage.

Some questions need to be answered before starting to mess with an engine:
-What RPM range do we want to produce the power and how much power are we willing to sacrafice elsewhere in the RPM range to obtain this?
-How much money are we willing to spend?
-How far are we willing to dig into the engine?
-Is fuel economy a huge issue?

More air need more fuel.
if the mixture remains correct, the engine will only take in the amount of fuel that it is able. Also, air flows are typically NOT matched perfectly in an engine.

never mess with an intake without serious consideration to the camshaft. If you're going to do that, might as well go through the valves, so you end up pulling the heads.

After that the you upgrade bottom end to withstand all the added stress.
how much money? Where does it end?

None of this has even come close to gearing to compliment a certain horsepower range or any suspension mods to help for traction
dumping all kinds of money into an engine can be a complete waste if you can't get the power through the tires onto the ground.

/The End
=================================================